March 28, 2024, 02:10:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

BUS ER code (stuck out of state with a bike that won’t start)

Started by D.W., October 06, 2019, 08:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.W.

I got caught in a bad rain storm in Birmingham Alabama last night. Today I went to start the bike after packing up my gear and the Speedo reads BUS ER. I pulled the maxi fuse, and reset the the ignition. No change. The speed passes the "wow" test ( needle swipes and all lights on when checking for codes) no addition codes besides BUS ER. Bike is a 2008 road king police, with a thunder max tuner. 

Not sure what to look for next, any help appreciated.

kd

Do you have a radio installed?  Taking on moisture in a rain storm is known to cause that exact issue.  The code warns of shorts / low / open / high and ground issues.  Aside from that, the most reasonable thing to do is to confirm each connector is clean and dry, lubed and tight.  One trouble spot many miss is the ground wire that loosens up on the frame backbone under the rear of the gas tank.  Another first thing to check is the main feed to the ECM.
KD

D.W.

Quote from: kd on October 07, 2019, 04:41:19 AM
Do you have a radio installed?  Taking on moisture in a rain storm is known to cause that exact issue.  The code warns of shorts / low / open / high and ground issues.  Aside from that, the most reasonable thing to do is to confirm each connector is clean and dry, lubed and tight.  One trouble spot many miss is the ground wire that loosens up on the frame backbone under the rear of the gas tank.  Another first thing to check is the main feed to the ECM.

No radio. All connections look good, but will check the ground.

kd

The ground is under the front of the seat so it has to be removed.  If you can get to a Walmart or the like pick up a air sprayer for computer cleaning and blow the connectors dry to ensure no wet cross feeding shorts are occurring.
KD

SilentGreyFellow

Might try starting it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Worked on my '13 Ultra when it wouldn't start after a ride through heavy rain.

D.W.

Quote from: SilentGreyFellow on October 07, 2019, 05:59:10 AM
Might try starting it in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. Worked on my '13 Ultra when it wouldn't start after a ride through heavy rain.

Annoyingly it is a police bike so it has a neutral safety switch.

D.W.

Quote from: kd on October 07, 2019, 05:57:44 AM
The ground is under the front of the seat so it has to be removed.  If you can get to a Walmart or the like pick up a air sprayer for computer cleaning and blow the connectors dry to ensure no wet cross feeding shorts are occurring.

Grounds all look good, no water in any connections, at lest the ones I've checked...do you have a suggestion on what connections I should be checking?

Scotty

Bus Err can happen with broken wires around the neck of the frame as well.
Something else to check while you are looking......... Rain might just be a coincidence.

CndUltra88

Quote from: Scotty on October 09, 2019, 12:30:55 AM
Bus Err can happen with broken wires around the neck of the frame as well.
Something else to check while you are looking......... Rain might just be a coincidence.

Or the broken wires and rain in combo....
I got nuthing else.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Phu Cat

Annoyingly it is a police bike so it has a neutral safety switch.

Our '12 Triglide has a neutral safety switch also, but it can be started in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Jim Bronson

Perhaps check the starter wiring and check the relay and solenoid. If all the electrics work, but it won't start, it seems to me it is a problem in the starter circuit. Maybe there's a broken wire in the starter switch. Or you could remove the solenoid cover and try to start it manually by pushing in on the solenoid. That would at least narrow it down. Do you hear the solenoid clack?
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Thermodyne

Turn the key on and put the scooter in neutral.  Then jump the starter (small terminal to battery cable) to crank it.  If the battery and cables are good, it will crank.  If it starts, then the issue is probably in one of the hand switches and that would be the place to start if with no guidance from trouble codes.  That's based on rain making it act out.  But could still be other stuff, and just happened to fail in the rain. 

You also can plug into the Tmax with your laptop and see what codes it wants to share. 

Deye76

If you can't figure it out and are still in Birmingham call Riders Harley Davidson, they'll come a running and get you. Owner and his son are good people. They picked me up off the Interstate years back when my motor gave up.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

chaos901

"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

kd

KD