Author Topic: Head Flow Testing, S&S B2 VS B3  (Read 855 times)

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
Head Flow Testing, S&S B2 VS B3
« on: January 12, 2019, 06:09:47 PM »
Here is a test of the two

Offline 1FSTRK

Re: Head Flow Testing, S&S B2 VS B3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:28 PM »
So these are out of the box, as delivered from S&S?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 07:45:14 AM »
Yes, both were cnc ported by S&S

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »
Yes, both were cnc ported by S&S

Thanks Don.
Interesting that they raised the intake flow and decreased the exhaust flow.
How did the seat velocity numbers compare?

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 06:45:59 AM »
Frankly I measured / probed the intakes with the manifold attached. Looking for hot spots. The intake on the B2 was a 64 HPI and required a lot of work to get back a flow loss compared to the head with just a clay transition. The 70mm TH was fine but had big port mismatching which was fixed. No probing done yet on the B3. No dynos on either motor. By math the velocities would be 224, B2 and 207 B3 Ft./Sec
What method are you referring to in order to get seat velocity? I am aware of several but I just have wands and manometer.
On a side note, the SE hurricanes actually pick up flow when a port matched SE intake is attached compared to fabricated 3/8"r adapters. I will be getting deeper into the Hurricanes and the B3 heads at a later time.
On the exhaust side the B2 had just the 2" pipe adapter attached and the B3 had a 1 foot long radius 2" pipe. Might account for the difference.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 07:38:31 AM by HD Street Performance »

Offline 1FSTRK

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to share all this.
Velocities are tough, the best I can figure for comparisons is probe the same spots the same way for both heads. For over all head to head comparisons I like to calculate at the seat diameter for the curtain and then the throat beyond that. Many times I see a bigger intake valve installed that shows some low lift flow increases and yields a drop in curtain velocity compared to the previous smaller valve. This can be a net loss and for me has big effects what cam to pick.

What size engine are the B3's goning on?
Have you picked a cam for it?

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 06:40:03 AM »
The B3s are headed for a 143. Cam is a wild card at this point. The 635 is out. This is a guy who rides the bike on long trips, a bagger. He wants the ez start feature. I guess he will start with a 640 and that sure isn't the best choice at 11:1 but wont be terrible either. Maybe I can talk him into gear drive and use ACRs or S&S releases. I will play with Dynomation a bit

Offline GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Premium Vendor
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:18:38 AM »
Take a look at the pistons we used in the 143 with the 640 , getting the comp ratio up is a must in my opinion .

Offline 1workinman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »
The B3s are headed for a 143. Cam is a wild card at this point. The 635 is out. This is a guy who rides the bike on long trips, a bagger. He wants the ez start feature. I guess he will start with a 640 and that sure isn't the best choice at 11:1 but wont be terrible either. Maybe I can talk him into gear drive and use ACRs or S&S releases. I will play with Dynomation a bit
Do my experiences with the 143 with the 635 camshaft was not stellar to say the least . The 640 camshaft is pretty smooth delivery on power or it is in my 124 and I think it will do the same in a 143 . If the heads had compression releases that would open up a lot of choices like the 630i for one .What exhaust is the  going to used . Good luck on the build , Not sure what the compression would be at 11.1 but I bet it be a lot better that the 143 and the 635 camshaft as far as power and smooth