April 20, 2024, 08:00:46 AM

News:

compensator or eliminator sprocket?

Started by Rob L, January 31, 2019, 08:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

since the MoCo has had nothing but problems with their compensators for years, what is everyone using on their high powered builds? Im currently on comp #4 on my bone stock 96" motor and im currently using the latest one with the glue on oil tray but im going to be doing a 124 motor swap this winter and im not looking forward to more compensator issues this will im sure bring. are you using a compensator or the solid eliminator sprocket?

rigidthumper

Latest model comp with the tray seems to be working as well as anything, as long as the stack up height is correct.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

turboprop

Quote from: Rob L on January 31, 2019, 08:01:35 AM
since the MoCo has had nothing but problems with their compensators for years, what is everyone using on their high powered builds? Im currently on comp #4 on my bone stock 96" motor and im currently using the latest one with the glue on oil tray but im going to be doing a 124 motor swap this winter and im not looking forward to more compensator issues this will im sure bring. are you using a compensator or the solid eliminator sprocket?

I have been running a solid front sprocket on my TC124 for over a year and just did some exploratory surgery. The crank came with less than .001". Some may recall this bike had a major catastrophe with a clutch shell that broke in half, broke the primary chain in two places, split the inner primary case, etc. It was during the rebuild for that event that I put the solid sprocket in. 10k miles later the crank still has less than .001 runout.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Barrett

I never had a problem with the comp in my 08 96". From what I'm reading about all of the failures I don't expect it to last too long with more cubes. Following to see what the best solid is and if a new chain is needed.

IronMike113

Quote from: turboprop on January 31, 2019, 08:49:31 AM

I have been running a solid front sprocket on my TC124 for over a year and just did some exploratory surgery. The crank came with less than .001". Some may recall this bike had a major catastrophe with a clutch shell that broke in half, broke the primary chain in two places, split the inner primary case, etc. It was during the rebuild for that event that I put the solid sprocket in. 10k miles later the crank still has less than .001 runout.

How are the Vibes? Or a any other things that are noticeable from a the conversion,Good or bad
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

turboprop

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on January 31, 2019, 05:57:49 PM

How are the Vibes? Or a any other things that are noticeable from a the conversion,Good or bad

I cannot tell any difference. Same with the BS claims of faster acceleration, easier starting, less noise, etc. I was seriously hoping to experience all sorts of magical things, but no. I did put one in my current project bike, but not because it was superior to a traditional compensator, I am just cheap. Its a new build, and the cost of the solid was much less. I have no experience with the new style harley compensators that seem to be as problematic as TC lifters. Hahahaha. I would not hesitate to hesitate to put one any bike I might own in the future. 

turboprop

Someone sent me a PM asking about this primary drive setup. This is the build after the clutch basket broke in half and split the inner primary case. The primary drive consist of the following components:

OEM inner case w/SKF double row sealed bearing
Twin Power fixed engine sprocket 25th
RK drive chain
Evolution Industries basket
Bandit Sportsman clutch w/10 plate pack
Bandit solid adjuster shoe
Aluminum shifter tube (Durham Allen)
Shift lever (Clint Padgett)
ARP Hardware
OEM outer cover
Vulcan Eng billet inspection cover.
Solid pinion shaft (forget the brand)

For those that aren't aware, the engine behind this is the Smack-A-Hoe TC124 engine (158hp SAE). IMO this  clutch setup works alright. It is very strong and can certainly handle the power but sort of sucks for launching. The dyno operators and bagger owners like it because it doesn't slip. I plan to replace it with some sort of variable pressure plate setup.

IronMike113

Thanks For the Info,I might have to venture down that path.......... :scoot:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

ecir50

SKF double row sealed bearing.

Got a part# for the bearing? You have this bearing on your other bikes?

scott7d

I've been using the Screamin' Eagle Big Twin compensator for at least 2 years/40,000 miles now. It was supporting 120hp/125tq and 135hp/133q. The only issue I've had was the nut in the center backing out once. Fresh loc-tite and retorque fixed that. It otherwise hasn't made a peep.

I'm in the middle of a 124" build now and have confidence it will do just fine.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

ThumperDeuce

After tearing up 3 compensators I just gave up and put in a Bandit superclutch with a lockup:

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

Hossamania

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on February 01, 2019, 07:52:58 AM
After tearing up 3 compensators I just gave up and put in a Bandit superclutch with a lockup:

Pretty!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Geezer_Glider

Not turbo, but the primary bearing may be a Jim's 8960? Other people may also supply. Looks like a solid primary drive. Do you have trouble modulating the clutch on launch or is it a bit heavy?
Just saying,
R Meyer

turboprop

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on February 01, 2019, 11:10:41 AM
Not turbo, but the primary bearing may be a Jim's 8960? Other people may also supply. Looks like a solid primary drive. Do you have trouble modulating the clutch on launch or is it a bit heavy?
Just saying,
R Meyer

Jims doesn't manufacture any bearings. This is a simple off the shelf bearing. I sourced it from 123bearings.com but there are plenty of other sources. Simple search by OD, ID and width will show several manufactures and many different grades.

ecir50

Think jims is what I am using now on same inner primary, have to check empty box later. Should have clutch off this weekend so will see if has numbers that can be crossed referenced to SKF. Think I have another want to say all balls that failed that I can check dimensions on.

ecir50

was wondering your experience since all are not the same quality.

turboprop

February 02, 2019, 07:07:10 PM #16 Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:10:19 PM by turboprop
Quote from: ecir50 on January 31, 2019, 08:07:55 PM
SKF double row sealed bearing.

Got a part# for the bearing? You have this bearing on your other bikes?

I have this bearing in all three of my FXR's.

For the part number, you have options. The outer is 52mm, width 20.6mm and inner is 20mm. A search by dimensions will yield 3205 and 5205. The difference between the two is the angular contact angle. 3205 is 32 degrees, 5205 is 25 degrees. Each has their pros and cons. If you do this and search by size you will see SKF and several other quality brands. The SKF brand is typically lower cost than other premium brands. I have no preference to any of the premium brands. An off the shelf 25mm ID bearing will have to be slightly honed to 25.25mm. I prefer to hone the bearing with the shaft present.

ecir50

nice have to check this out, a good reliable bearing in this spot would be a plus, looks like I need to start honing mine :up:.   

FSG

Quote3205 is 32 degrees

pretty sure I saw a 10 degrees or similar there earlier and using Pythagoras couldn't get anything other than 30+ degrees, but I see the post has been edited, OK

turboprop

Quote from: FSG on February 02, 2019, 11:46:00 PM
Quote3205 is 32 degrees

pretty sure I saw a 10 degrees or similar there earlier and using Pythagoras couldn't get anything other than 30+ degrees, but I see the post has been edited, OK

Yea, I messed up the first one. Shouldn't drink and post at the same time.

ecir50

have a KML 5205 in mine which looks to be a cheaper bearing than SKF going off of price.

trex

Why is there any question about going with a solid front sprocket, when you run a belt, it is solid and never heard problems with those.

ThumperDeuce

I was told that the belt will absorb some of the shock from the power pulses.  I don't know if it is true.  I've got a Hobanized S&S wheel set so I don't really worry about it.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

rbabos

Quote from: ThumperDeuce on February 20, 2019, 07:22:21 PM
I was told that the belt will absorb some of the shock from the power pulses.  I don't know if it is true.  I've got a Hobanized S&S wheel set so I don't really worry about it.
Given a few aircraft auto conversions set up with a belt reduction drive will snap a crank within predicted hours of operation, I'd say the belt absorbing the shock is an urban legend myth. They are very rigid on engagement allowing crank harmonics to eventually crack the crank. I doubt there would be much chance of this happening with the HD engine however.
Ron

PoorUB

Harmonics can be a weird  deal. You can take an engine design with millions of hours of run time and slap it in some other applications and it will fail time after time. I dont remember  the specifics any more but forty years ago Catapiller had an engine that was working well in many applications so they stuck it in some large mining equipment and it was a big turd until they sorted it out.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!