Author Topic: Four Speed Clutch  (Read 216 times)

Offline rkrcpa

Four Speed Clutch
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
I'm finally getting the Shovel back on the road after a long sleep...(apparently everyone who said I wouldn't ride the Shovel after I bought a Twin Cam was correct) I need to replace the clutch. The clutch has given me 40,000 miles so I guess it's about time. My question is, the plates have worn grooves in the pins on the hub and I think the liner is probably shot as well.

What is the current best thinking on these clutches? Should I stick with the 3 stud or get a 5 stud? Does Brand matter? Is there even more than one manufacturer?

Offline david lee

Re: Four Speed Clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
my hd  mech changed mine to 5 stud on his recomendation

Offline dusty1

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 06:16:23 PM »
 :up:

Offline carioux2008

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 12:59:15 PM »
I've got a Drag Specialties 5 finger hub in mine. Works great. I don't think there's any real advantage in going 3 vs 5 fingers. They both adjust pretty easily, I can adjust mine in about 5 minutes and be meticulous about it. The service manual states you can file the grooves smooth, but for 100 bones you can just get a new one and have no worries. 3 finger or 5 finger will work just fine on a relatively stock bike as long as it's adjusted properly. 1-1/32 inch from the pressure plate to the machined area on top of the springs. Even all around. Good luck with it.

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 01:16:08 PM »
Agree with carioux, 3 or 5 will work just fine. Although I don't really see what the 5 finger brings to the table, unless you are using springs with so much pressure that they would bend the stock sheet metal pressure plate. I'm using a 3 finger hub with one of those aluminum pressure plates, along with a Ramm Jet clutch retainer. Clutch action is perfect, no creep at lights and no problem finding neutral. For especially stock use, I think the 3 finger is great if you use these other parts.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline guppymech

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 03:28:57 PM »
I betcha that on the 5 studs at least one nut is always loose.  3 stud is like a 3 legged stool, always planted.  Use whatever you like.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Offline JW113

• San Jose, California
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »
Heh, heh, I started to mention that but deleted. Didn't want to hear otherwise from the guys that actually have 5 finger hubs. But from a purely mechanical point of view, that would be the case if the adjusting nuts only allow 1/2 turn between lock dents. If you had a pressure plate that didn't have the detents, and use those "aero" type lock nut with the plastic friction lock, I suppose you could dial all 5 in to be pretty even. But I'm still thinking that if you use a very stiff (i.e. aluminum) pressure plate, what does the 5 finger hub bring to the party? 3 & 5 hubs both have 10 fingers taking the engine torque.

Just asking!

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Offline crock

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 05:56:49 AM »
Heh, heh, I started to mention that but deleted. Didn't want to hear otherwise from the guys that actually have 5 finger hubs. But from a purely mechanical point of view, that would be the case if the adjusting nuts only allow 1/2 turn between lock dents. If you had a pressure plate that didn't have the detents, and use those "aero" type lock nut with the plastic friction lock, I suppose you could dial all 5 in to be pretty even. But I'm still thinking that if you use a very stiff (i.e. aluminum) pressure plate, what does the 5 finger hub bring to the party? 3 & 5 hubs both have 10 fingers taking the engine torque.

Just asking!

-JW

The only benefit I could ever see on a 5 nut hub is you now have 5 studs secured on the outer end of the hub that might maybe possibly help keep it from twisting maybe. But if your at that point with your power level it's time for an upgrade to a Rivera pro or some other aftermarket clutch.  Just my 2 cents
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:58:08 PM by FSG »
Crock

Offline david lee

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
next time im at the mech im going to ask him,the reason i replaced the hud is that someone had cross threaded the studs

Offline carioux2008

« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:46:05 AM »
I betcha that on the 5 studs at least one nut is always loose.  3 stud is like a 3 legged stool, always planted.  Use whatever you like.

I've got a 5-finger hub, and ill admit one of the nuts is partially loose, but still retained by the raised portion on the plate. I've heard of some guys cutting another groove in the nut to get it tighter, though I don't see the real purpose. The only improvement I can see that the 5-finger hub provides is limiting the amount of flex the plate can have, which I would imagine is amplified when using heavy duty springs.