Is Harley flagging Pre-2017 bikes if flashed ECM?

Started by r0de_runr, March 26, 2019, 01:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r0de_runr

So I go to my local deal to take advantage of their free labor on new tires and I ask the service writer to please hook up the thingy and set my passing lamps so they work on both high and low beam.

He asks if I have flashed my ECM and I told him yes, I have a FP3 and am running one of V&H tunes. My bike is a 2014 Limited.

He said the moment he hooks up to the bike it will flag my VIN and void my power train warranty.  So I tell him I'm aware of that on 2017 and newer bikes but not on the 16 and older.  He said it just started doing that.

Si I didn't take a chance on voiding my ESP I said nevermind.

Has anyone heard of this?
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Coyote

codyshop

Quote from: Coyote on March 26, 2019, 03:45:32 PM
Yes, digtech is flagging bikes in the US now.
I was under the impression that a dealer could still override /opt out of the flagging.  I know many who install PowerVisions pre-delivery and I find it hard to believe that there's no work-around for their customers. 

chaos901

Another good reason NOT to purchase a new bike, I don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

rigidthumper

Quote from: codyshop on March 26, 2019, 08:48:57 PM
Quote from: Coyote on March 26, 2019, 03:45:32 PM
Yes, digtech is flagging bikes in the US now.
I was under the impression that a dealer could still override /opt out of the flagging.  I know many who install PowerVisions pre-delivery and I find it hard to believe that there's no work-around for their customers. 
If the DT is hooked up to a bike, the MOCO will get the info. AFAIK, the latest MOCO Digital Tech update removed the dealers ability to opt out of anything.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Lone Ranger

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 26, 2019, 01:16:13 PM
So I go to my local deal to take advantage of their free labor on new tires and I ask the service writer to please hook up the thingy and set my passing lamps so they work on both high and low beam.

He asks if I have flashed my ECM and I told him yes, I have a FP3 and am running one of V&H tunes. My bike is a 2014 Limited.

He said the moment he hooks up to the bike it will flag my VIN and void my power train warranty.  So I tell him I'm aware of that on 2017 and newer bikes but not on the 16 and older.  He said it just started doing that.

Si I didn't take a chance on voiding my ESP I said nevermind.

Has anyone heard of this?
With the Power Vision you can flash the original factory tune back into the ecm, but I guess you don't have that capability with a piggy back like the FP3.

rigidthumper

With the Power Vision you can flash the original factory tune back into the ecm, but I guess you don't have that capability with a piggy back like the FP3.
With the latest DT update, they can still tell it had something other than a legal device (SEST) married to it.

HV

Trev Deeley  HD in BC is selling their complete Dyno Set up including the room for $24000 ( or BO ) CDN .......wont be the last HD Dealer to Bail on tuning ....now that HD has all but Banned tuning with anything but a SE Pro Street Tuner....and tuning with one of them on a Dyno would be Pointless ...also if a HD Dealer tuned a Bike with anything else and it was put on a Digital Tech for even a radio update POOF no more power train warranty ....sure eliminates HD Dealers tuning or any one getting work done at a dealer if its been tuned with anything else...FYI for now this is only in the USA...Canadian Dealers are ok...( For now )
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

HV

Skype HV.HTT

HV

From what Im told YES including Pre 2017 as well..... if its off warranty ...it does not matter any way
Skype HV.HTT

HV

FYI some CDN Dealers have checked Non HD Tuned bikes on the DT and they did NOT get flagged ..
Skype HV.HTT

r0de_runr

So those of us who have pre-17 bikes and have flashed our tunes and have time left on our ESP's are just screwed?  Talking about moving the goal posts.

I guess I should glue on the cover so they cannot plug in their computer.  If I need lifters or something there should not be a reason to plug into the bike.

This really pisses me off....Harley just voided all ESP's essentially if the owner flashed in a tune.

And the FP3 is not a piggy back, it is a flash tuner.

60wt

get a fresh take off ecm to use if need to see the dealer for warranty work....
I'm going nucking futs

Coyote

ESP is not the same as factory warranty.  Lots of variables there depending on who is underwriting the ESP.

HV

With ESP ...if you get the Dealer to do it and its a high dollar repair they can send a private adjuster to Inspect the repairs requested and they often want a screen shot from the Harley DT of the Cal ID etc.....this would immediately show a Power Train Block and refuse the Claim....if your getting an INDY to do the repairs this most likely would not Happen ...Ive seen them ( ESP ) use any excuse to refuse the claim...
Skype HV.HTT

Coyote

Quote from: HV on March 27, 2019, 03:53:12 PM
With ESP ...if you get the Dealer to do it and its a high dollar repair they can send a private adjuster to Inspect the repairs requested and they often want a screen shot from the Harley DT of the Cal ID etc.....this would immediately show a Power Train Block and refuse the Claim....if your getting an INDY to do the repairs this most likely would not Happen ...Ive seen them ( ESP ) use any excuse to refuse the claim...

Agree. But ESP trying to get out of paying is nothing new.

Ken R

I'm confused about all the abbreviations  and extended warranties.

ESP?  Is this "Discount ESP"?   Look up reviews.  No  one is happy with Discount ESP.   I was going to buy for my new 2019 FLHTK, but then read reviews.  So I bought 4 years of extended warranty from Ronnies. 

So who is the source for the Extended Warranty that appears to be a Harley product (although it isn't).    Are they flagging and refusing warranty, too?   

My 2013 103 engine is being almost totally rebuilt right now under warranty (all except the cases, it appears) because of scissored crank.  They found the issue as a result of a simply throttle warranty visit.  I travel a lot and want the protection.  So should I not install my PowerVision?  Would that get the ECM flagged? 

Princess Butt

This is why my 2018 Road Glide is still bone stock. I'll let the ESP run out before I do anything.

But my 2015 Heritage was flashed with the H-D off road tuner. Does this mean if they connect to my ECM, I'm out of luck?

Should I just cancel the ESP and get a refund? It's  a few months anyway.

Thoughts?
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

r0de_runr

My ESP is a Harley Dealer ESP, it's not a factory warranty, but is the Harley product.  it may be a third party but it's the old fashioned Harley ESP.

It is not the Discount ESP, or that other ESP being sold or given away that requires all maintenance work be done at the selling dealer.

HV

Quote from: Princess Butt on March 27, 2019, 06:00:03 PM
This is why my 2018 Road Glide is still bone stock. I'll let the ESP run out before I do anything.

But my 2015 Heritage was flashed with the H-D off road tuner. Does this mean if they connect to my ECM, I'm out of luck?

Should I just cancel the ESP and get a refund? It's  a few months anyway.

Thoughts?

Check with your selling dealer ...I had a claim flagged and blocked because it was tuned with a Race tuner 2 years ago before all this auto flagging even started
Skype HV.HTT

Nastytls

I don't believe that this has anything to do with the EPA, this is HD desperately trying to weasel their way out of fixing poorly designed engines under warranty.

I hope they don't plug it in the next time I bring my bike in for drain/fill of my primary/transmission.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Nastytls on March 28, 2019, 05:32:56 AM
I don't believe that this has anything to do with the EPA, this is HD desperately trying to weasel their way out of fixing poorly designed engines under warranty.

I think if you read the EPA consent decree you'll see the government has specified warranty denial- look at page 7, paragraph #14.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: rigidthumper on March 28, 2019, 05:42:47 AM
Quote from: Nastytls on March 28, 2019, 05:32:56 AM

I think if you read the EPA consent decree you'll see the government has specified warranty denial- look at page 7, paragraph #14.
But, but, but...

Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of
powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year
2017 or later)
  :idunno:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Princess Butt

[/quote]
But, but, but...

Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of
powertrain components for any Harley-Davidson vehicle (Model Year
2017 or later)
  :idunno:
[/quote]

Thanks, that clears up the question I have on my 2015.

Which will be getting some cams and other mods shortly.

For the 2018, I'm waiting to let the aftermarket develop more stuff. I find after intake, exhaust and cam change, I don't find much benefit for my type of riding.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

BVHOG

Nice, so you lose your power train warranty, I guess if you choose to modify your motorcycle then you should take some of the responsibility of potential repairs on as well as the shop that does your work should.  Harley sells a bike that in my opinion in stock form is just not up to par with other makes and models and not really much fun to ride. So now they make their bike less appealing by flagging the ecm for even a simple thing like a stage one tune, which in fact will make the bike more reliable not less reliable.  And we wonder why Harley Davidson is struggling.  Harley markets these bikes based on the Heritage of the brand and a HUGE part of that heritage is modding these bikes from stock form. Take that away and it makes their bottom line worse not better.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.