Author Topic: Mid 90s Evos - anything special to watch for?  (Read 1494 times)

Offline FSG

• PhD in Malt Based Liquids
  • Administrator
  • BrisVegas
Re: Mid 90s Evos - anything special to watch for?
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 12:34:48 AM »
It turned out to be a -97. And here it is at home.  :smile:

nice ......  I need to find something like that

Offline Finn

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 09:03:44 AM »
Thank you, guys, for kind words and advises. I will "try" not to let it get out of hand so first tires and normal maintenance including brakes - that should do it for a while.

Offline Langwilliams

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 05:31:01 PM »
very cool bike...I'd like to have a springer, but I'd want to add some rake to the front. I like the 96+ bikes for the better controls an connectors an no speedo cable. enjoy

Offline Harpo

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »
I believe '97 (and '98) were 2 years that HD went to the tight clearance rod bearings (why - no one knows for certain - oil control?).  with the jugs off, pistons removed, you can position a rod so it isn't resting on the spigot hole and it will STAY where you position it!  Most rebuilders say that it isn't a good idea to get too carried away with hot rodding these engines without opening up the rod clearances a bit.  Just some information to keep in mind.  Nice bike though.

Offline Burnout

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »
Doesn't that clearance open up when the motor is hot?
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Offline kd

• Site Supporter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 07:12:30 PM »
I believe '97 (and '98) were 2 years that HD went to the tight clearance rod bearings (why - no one knows for certain - oil control?).  with the jugs off, pistons removed, you can position a rod so it isn't resting on the spigot hole and it will STAY where you position it!  Most rebuilders say that it isn't a good idea to get too carried away with hot rodding these engines without opening up the rod clearances a bit.  Just some information to keep in mind.  Nice bike though.

Doesn't that clearance open up when the motor is hot?

I don’t think it was intended or on all engines.  Most 98’s were tight and it became known as a 98 issue.  I have 2 and they both “were” tight as described.  I was told by a couple of techs and a dealer friend that the MOCO had a goodwill campaign for a few years after warranty to fix failures but mine were noticed too late.  To be clear, mine did not fail but were noticed when freshening the engine and the barrels were removed.  I fixed mine and added the later model crank pins with better oil galleries etc.. 
KD