April 17, 2024, 06:17:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anyone have problems with the S&S valve seals?

Started by harleytq, July 22, 2019, 04:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytq

Bought a new S&S LC124 for my 06 ultra, last year, probably got about 5000 mile on it now. Pulled the intake because I thought it might be leaking and found oil pudded on top of the intake valves. I will add that the breathers are vented to a catch can, so I shouldn't be getting any oil from them.
Engine is still under warranty, but do I want to have the seals replaced with S&S seals again or can I use something better to replace them with? Is this a known problem with the S&S 124's ?

wfolarry

Replace them with S&S seals. They're a different size than a TC.

Hillside Motorcycle

I believe they are AV&V, marketed under the S&S badge.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Just had a 111 come in same problem. I could not believe the build up on the intake valves. The intake were nice and clean.  [attach=1]  [attach=1]

Buglet

I'am having problems posting the pictures.

doubletrouble

Quote from: BUGLET on July 23, 2019, 05:41:56 AM
   I'am having problems posting the pictures.
These valves from a carbed or inj. engine ?

harleytq

This might be a dumb question but is there any chance that if the breathers were not working correctly, that oil would be forced through the valve seals? Just wondering what would cause them to go bad fast?

Buglet

Don D

If the guide tops are .421" Cometic, AV&V, or Cyco are offered and all are improvements compared to the Kline originals.

Buglet

The seals that came off look like AV&V seals as do the new ones.

jsachs1

The later S&S crate engines , and the S&S heads with the full 9/16" o.d. guides take U.S. Seal #371V viton seals. They are repackaged by many aftermarket companies. IMO, Those seals are the best money can buy. I've never had a problem with them or that same style seal for .428" , .530" top guides. Check your breather system, and rocker box to head gaskets if you are using factory style rocker box to head gaskets. S&S rocker box gaskets have an extra hole for the breather.
John

harleytq

Breathers are filling my catch can with this white pudding stuff, I wonder if that crap is blocking up the system. Seems to be still spitting out the overflow on my catch can though.
But if the seals are leaking they need to be replaced, right? If it is the breathers clogged up and that is fixed would the seals still work or do they need to be replaced?

1workinman

I bought a new SS lc 124 a few years ago and it dripped oil out of the TB every time I killed it from the word go. Breather to the ground  Period . I was not impressed with it any way. Steve finally straighten up the mess . Use very little oil now makes in the 140 square . No crate motors for me

Buglet

Just got a set of S&S seal they just side down the valve stem with hardly any restriction, the old one have a lot more restriction. What go on with that.

jsachs1

Quote from: BUGLET on July 25, 2019, 07:26:22 AM
   Just got a set of S&S seal they just side down the valve stem with hardly any restriction, the old one have a lot more restriction. What go on with that.
What heads are you using and what year are they?
Sounds like you got the wrong seals. Check the O.D. of the valve guide, S&S heads use full length .561 " O.D. guides in their later heads, with 3 groves/rings near the top in the seal area. Those heads call for US  SEAL part # 371V seals. Actually you'll need to work to get the seals on. A Very tight fit.
John

Buglet

I have exactly what you said, I have there seals they sent the .561 and .420. The .420 fit good and snug the .561 or to loose. I'am thinking about trimming the guides down to .530 as those seal fit nice a snug, or order the U S SEAL ones.   

jsachs1

July 25, 2019, 02:55:09 PM #16 Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:28:19 PM by jsachs1
Quote from: BUGLET on July 25, 2019, 02:43:13 PM
     I have exactly what you said, I have there seals they sent the .561 and .420. The .420 fit good and snug the .561 or to loose. I'am thinking about trimming the guides down to .530 as those seal fit nice a snug, or order the U S SEAL ones.
Sounds like you have early S&S heads. They used the small seals. Guides were necked down to .420. IIRC, S&S never used a .530" top guide. Did someone modify your heads?   :nix:   All their valve stems were, and are in the .310" O.D. range.
John
Pic is a 2000 TC engine I'm building to a 124", with S&S parts. I have the S&S heads apart for mods, and you should be able to see the guides. Are these the ones you have? [attach=0,msg1308458]

Buglet

The valve guides are the one .561 with. I have no problems with the seals fitting on the guide, its valve stem that the seal sides down the .420 and .530 snug on the stem and they measure about .020 smaller then the .561 they sent. I hope it clears thing up.

jsachs1

July 25, 2019, 03:36:10 PM #18 Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:54:51 PM by jsachs1
Quote from: BUGLET on July 25, 2019, 03:28:09 PM
   The valve guides are the one .561 with. I have no problems with the seals fitting on the guide, its valve stem that the seal sides down the .420 and .530 snug on the stem and they measure about .020 smaller then the .561 they sent. I hope it clears thing up.
Mic the valve stems. If they are .309" - .311" the seals you need are the US Seal # 371 V. IIRC, Cyco is a division of U.S. Seal. it may be a Chevrolet seal.GM4.3L, 5.0L, 5.7L Vortec.
You can also check Cometic part # 3162V not sure on this.
John

Buglet

Jsachs  Thanks for your help I'am going to order the U S  Seals and check them out.

Don D

The valve seals are covered here well by John Sachs. I have observed issues with the late crate motors and ring seal. This would cause ports to be black and oily if the breathers were routed back to the intake. The breather gaskets are also covered by JS, important detail.

Buglet