September 20, 2024, 08:28:46 PM

News:

2006 FXDI Compensator questions?

Started by DblackmanC, June 28, 2024, 12:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DblackmanC

June 28, 2024, 12:05:46 PM Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 01:39:10 PM by Ohio HD
FXDI with 120K miles. Back in 2014/2015 bolts came out of Rotor assy. and trashed it all. Replaced Stator, Compensator with built in Rotor. Now I'm starting to get some clunking as I take off if RPM drops down a little. No clunking when riding, gearing up or down, cranking or cutting engine off is all good. Question/ Attached are some pictures for you guys to look at and tell me what you see or think? I thinking getting a little wear and slack in compensator? Thinking about adding a 10300021 shim. Does this sound right? If so where does this shim go? and can I put it in without tearing everything out?? Any suggestions or help appreciated.
Thanks, Dan

You cannot see attachments on this board.

'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.
'13 Street Glide.

Ohio HD

The springs loose tension over time, and will allow more clearance thus causing some noise. When adding shims (item #14), the complete compensator must come off, as well when changing the springs.

Here are two link, they explain the measurements that you need to take and what they should be to shim it. As you can see where I measured with old springs and new springs, even with shims it needed new springs to get the measurement needed.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,68275.msg1169753.html#msg1169753

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

kd

:agree:   Your ramp wear appears to be minimal so it could be a combination of everything bedding in.  It's possible that the new style conp was installed without checking for stack height as in the link Ohio provided.  I have found going to the tall side of the spec to work the best for me. 

Also, at the risk of starting an oil thread, I appears you are using ATF in your primary.  Even Harley has changed their oil viscosity recommendations.  Using a gear oil has better protection for the comp.  I use Spectro Golden gear Lube - 80 W spec'd for transmissions and wet clutches.  For best results, fill to below the clutch basket to prevent clutch plate contamination.
KD

DblackmanC

kd...you are correct ATF. I'm hesitant to change as I have run ATF in the primary for over 15 years and 120K miles and no problems. Same Chain, clutches and bearing. None showing wear. But now a little Clacking if I pull the RPM down kinda low taking off?? I did not check the stack measurement when I installed the compensator, rotor and stator back in 2014! But since I'm got it open I'll do that and report back. Also bike has been a 95" since 2009, SE 204 cams and bumped compression.
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.
'13 Street Glide.

pauly

June 28, 2024, 05:27:25 PM #4 Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 07:25:04 PM by kd

Quote from: kd on June 28, 2024, 01:31:48 PM:agree:   Your ramp wear appears to be minimal so it could be a combination of everything bedding in.  It's possible that the new style conp was installed without checking for stack height as in the link Ohio provided.  I have found going to the tall side of the spec to work the best for me. 

Also, at the risk of starting an oil thread, I appears you are using ATF in your primary.  Even Harley has changed their oil viscosity recommendations.  Using a gear oil has better protection for the comp.  I use Spectro Golden gear Lube - 80 W spec'd for transmissions and wet clutches.  For best results, fill to below the clutch basket to prevent clutch plate contamination.

Huh? Gear oil??
What viscosity, and do you have any links? Thanks for the update.
Pauly

Ohio HD

I think as long as you have a proper lubrication method, meaning the center of the compensator gets the lube, you're ok with any type of commercial lubricant. This photo is my compensator at 40k miles using the GMR Compensavor. I was running ATF at Steve's request. No real wear for the miles. I had a 117" in front of it during this test. 

kd

June 28, 2024, 08:31:18 PM #6 Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 08:35:22 PM by kd
Quote from: pauly on June 28, 2024, 05:27:25 PM
Quote from: kd on June 28, 2024, 01:31:48 PM:agree:   Your ramp wear appears to be minimal so it could be a combination of everything bedding in.  It's possible that the new style conp was installed without checking for stack height as in the link Ohio provided.  I have found going to the tall side of the spec to work the best for me. 

Huh? Gear oil??
What viscosity, and do you have any links? Thanks for the update.
Pauly

Man, I said I didn't want to start an oil thread.  :banghead:  As indicated, I am using Spectro Golden Gear Lube as recommended by Bandit for their Sportsman performance clutch.  I was told when I called them (John) that of all of the oils they tested the Spectro 80W (and 85w) grade gear oil (I am now using) stood out as the best as well as it is designed to work in wet clutch drive cases. Coincidently if you research Harley's recommended primary chain case oil Formula + you will see it is in fact a gear oil literally the same viscosity as 75/140 gear oil.  Gear oil numerical descriptions are different than engine oil so you have to take that into consideration.  The gear oils are roughly half numerically of engine oils.  It has been discussed here before.

This link is the latest addition to the Harley OEM recommended chain case oil.  It is clearly stated gear oil.  I am confident they did their homework directed at their long time comp problems, complaints and failures. 

The oil you decide to use is up to you and based on what you believe is right.  I remember when Ohio was beta testing the compensaver device and was asked to use ATF.  IIRC there was some minor modifications to the compensator internal components to get the oil to travel through the device too.  It proved that when "any" oil got delivered to the right areas, wear was reduced. No rocket science there.  I am sure that Ohio gave that comp a good workout too.  :wink:  Unfortunately that compensaver design strangely ended up being used by Harley before it went fully into production by what I believe were the real inventors, members from here. The plastic tray in your primary that comes with the latest 2014+ compensator model is Harley's version of the compensator after it was developed by others.
KD