September 20, 2024, 08:27:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wet head coolant issue

Started by fbn ent, July 03, 2024, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

A friend of mine has a wet head. I don't remember the year but on his first ride he got a hot engine warning. He cooled it off and made it home okay.

He called the dealer to see  :wtf: and they told him he had to "burp the baby" to get the air out of the system and that "they all do that".  :emoGroan:

I told him I would ask here as I have no knowledge (or use, for that matter) for the wet head setup.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Dan89flstc

Ignition on (engine not running), open throttle at least halfway, the pump will run and get the air out of the system.
US Navy Veteran 1974-1979 (AD2) A&P Mechanic
1989 FLSTC, 2019 FLHT, 2022 FLHTCUTG

harpwrench

The water pump might have stopped working, do the procedure Dan posted to check it out

fbn ent

He says that is what they told him to do. They also said it is normal after sitting the Winter.  :doh: Thanks.

hrdtail78

Quote from: fbn ent on July 03, 2024, 10:57:14 AMHe says that is what they told him to do. They also said it is normal after sitting the Winter.  :doh: Thanks.

Funny how this never happens to anything else I own that is water cooled that sits all winter.  If serviced correctly in the first place.  How does this happen?  Very easy to service because of the electric pump.
Semper Fi

fbn ent

I'll mention that to him too. He probably doesn't own a Manual...

Rockout Rocker Products

The early years...the pump impeller is "magnetically coupled" to the motor shaft... the impeller can stall while the motor keeps running. Harley coolant can congeal around the impeller making it stall.... happened to me.

HD typical shameful denial... never admitted a known problem, came out with a revised pump to fix the non-existent problem.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!