Should throttle position be 0% at idle?

Started by biggzed, July 31, 2024, 09:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggzed

I mounted my Powervision so I could use the gauge feature. One of the options they have is throttle position. I thought it would be interesting to monitor. At idle the gauge is reading 3.5%. This is on my 2021 Street Bob.

As I understand it the Powervision is getting that data from the ECM. Is the ECM outputting the twist grip or the throttle blade %? If it's twist grip, I would think it would show 0% at idle. If it is throttle blade position, then I can see how a small percentage would read at idle.

Anyone know the answer? I can't find anything on the Dynojet site to confirm.

Thanks,
Zach

hrdtail78

Throttle by wire throttle body's use the throttle blade for Idle air control.  On cold you might see 4.5-5 tps and hotter the engine, this will come down but it will never be closed or zero throttle.

It's a reference thing.  Zero throttle on a cable driven bike isn't really zero throttle or closed throttle.  It's the zero reference for a blade being held open by a screw.  TBW is actual percent compared to close.
Semper Fi

biggzed

Quote from: hrdtail78 on July 31, 2024, 09:42:37 AMThrottle by wire throttle body's use the throttle blade for Idle air control.  On cold you might see 4.5-5 tps and hotter the engine, this will come down but it will never be closed or zero throttle.

It's a reference thing.  Zero throttle on a cable driven bike isn't really zero throttle or closed throttle.  It's the zero reference for a blade being held open by a screw.  TBW is actual percent compared to close.

Thank you. The more I thought about it the more sense it made. Nice to confirm though. Appreciate it.

Zach