September 20, 2024, 08:27:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Compensator oil deflector

Started by motorplex88, September 13, 2024, 09:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Looking for a strange noise on a 96in. twin cam. Pulled the primary and found what I understand to be an oil deflector laying at the bottom front of the primary. Looks to be part of an SE comp kit ? You can tell it was epoxyed in but found no other signs of a fastener. Is this a must ? You cannot see attachments on this board.You cannot see attachments on this board.

fbn ent

Only if you want the comp to last. Clean everything up and re-install. Someone here will have the instructions as mine are long gone. I do know that guys use the HD glue or JB Weld.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

motorplex88

Thanks. Upon inspection, the compensator is looking to be in pretty ruff condition. The detached oil deflector might be cause. Also looks to be a later style SE comp.

Rusticwater

Download the PDF installation sheet J05885 from the Harley SIP. On page 2/4 you'll see how that oil deflector is supposed to be also held in place by a metal retaining clip. You may want to check for its remains in the primary, if it was ever there to begin with...
Support the Maine lobster industry

Ohio HD

Follow what Rusticwater said above. And also what I do is use a small bur and scuff the inner primary so that the adhesive sticks better. I also drill two 1/8" holes in the back of the scoop to allow adhesive to grip it better, and lightly sand the backside so there is a better surface for the adhesive to stick. And everything needs to be very clean and dry of oil.

FSG

September 13, 2024, 02:51:22 PM #5 Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 03:05:44 PM by FSG
J05885

Oil Deflector P/n 62700063 ---- Touring Models 

Oil Deflector P/n 62700064 ---- Softail and Dyna Models

Clip Rib Retention P/n 12200065

Ohio HD

The fellers at Darkhorse also have the scoops and clips.

OIL DEFLECTOR - TOURING MODELS 62700063

OIL DEFLECTOR Non Touring Models 62700064

CLIP, RIB RETENTION (SOLD IN PAIRS OF TWO) 12200065

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 13, 2024, 03:39:29 PMThe fellers at Darkhorse also have the scoops and clips

sadly they are using the same pic for the two part numbers  :emsad:

hattitude

Quote from: FSG on September 13, 2024, 04:03:48 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on September 13, 2024, 03:39:29 PMThe fellers at Darkhorse also have the scoops and clips

sadly they are using the same pic for the two part numbers  :emsad:

Thanks.... I was just going to say that I don't see a difference between the two oil scoops..   :up:

motorplex88

I don't think the deflector clip was ever installed. There is no sign of it anywhere and no sign of it being chewed up. I'm replacing the comp assembly with new . I'm still thinking the missing deflector and the fact that the primary didn't have much oil in it, made the unit starve.

Hilly13

That combination would certainly shorten its life!
Just because its said don't make it so

FSG

Quote from: Ohio HD on September 13, 2024, 01:45:32 PMdrill two 1/8" holes in the back of the scoop to allow adhesive to grip it better

:up:   very important IMO 

motorplex88

As I was disassembling the compensator, I found that the spring discs were installed exactly backwards of what is shown in the instruction sheet. I wonder what affect that has on the function/longevity of the comp.

Ohio HD

I don't see that as causing any functioning issues that you would feel, or that would shorten the life of the components. As long as the springs aren't binding against anything the pressure would remain the same.

Many people bolt them on and go. But they should be measured and shimmed if needed. Joe Lyons brought that process to HTT.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,68275.msg1169753.html#msg1169753

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=82010.msg917659#msg917659

Ohio HD

Below, #14 the shims, this is where they get placed.

motorplex88

If I would have known that , I would have gone further with the procedure. I mearly went with the instructions and picture. It's now back together and everything seems fine. Thanks for the info just the same.You cannot see attachments on this board.