September 21, 2024, 12:30:18 AM

News:

6 speed trans noyze

Started by wavlovr1, November 03, 2008, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavlovr1

2009 Street glide has whine in 1st and 5th. Any feedback appreciated. Seems like someone solved this issue with Redline fluids? Bike only has 400 miles.

Thanks, JimBob

HV

A lot will decrease with a few more Miles.... Ive heard good things about redline as well as Belray 80/90
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

wavlovr1

I've used Redline in my deucefor years, but I thought Iremembered someone reccomending it as a fix for the 6 speed trans noyze. Then again, I may have two topics mixed up. Just wonder if a fluid change has worked for this problem

jimbob

TXChop

Yup, agree with HV. It may quiet down over a bit of time. In the 6 speed bikes i always use a good gear oil as i think it helps a bit. I prefer redline.

wavlovr1

November 03, 2008, 05:25:48 PM #4 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 05:27:26 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Is it Ok to use the Heavy Shockproof in the new trans?

TXChop

I have in many bikes with no problems.

harleyjt

I like the BelRay 85-140. Seems to help a little.  My 08 has a noisy 5th gear, but it has diminshed somewhat over time.  Now have 9000 miles and I believe its a little better than when it was new.  Have never used the 80-90 BelRay - always the heavier 85-140.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Creedless Joe

Quote from: wavlovr1 on November 03, 2008, 05:15:57 PM
2009 Street glide has whine in 1st and 5th. Any feedback appreciated. Seems like someone solved this issue with Redline fluids? Bike only has 400 miles.

Thanks, JimBob

JimBob,

I asked this question to the shop forman at the local HD.  He went on line and printed out a Harley Technical Report that discussed this very topic.  There is nothing wrong with your transmission.  The noise is a result of the straight cut gears in 1st and 5th.  2nd thru 4th are helical cut and produce no noise.  6th is some sort of direct drive and produces no noise.  Why the gears are different cuts was not addressed and I have no idea, nor did the shop forman. 

My '09 Street Glide has the noise and it doesn't bother me.  In fact, I sort of like it.  You may feel differently, but don't worry because it isn't hurting a thing.  Ask your local dealer to look it up in the HD Technical releases.

Creedless Joe

HV

I just let guys ride my 4 speed shovel and then they never complain about a noise in their 6 speed again  ;D
Skype HV.HTT

x52gnr

I have about 10k on my Ultra and the 5th gear noise has diminished dramatically,  still there but I don't need to turn up the radio as loud to drown it out. or maybe I am just going deaf..... :D
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

Tattoo

"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

Flat Dog

November 04, 2008, 06:44:51 AM #11 Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 06:46:53 AM by Photo John
What HV said. Nothing like the sound of a shovel ratchet top tranny at 5,000 RPM! LOL

The only twinkie whine I hear is from riders.  ;D

wavlovr1

Well, at least in whines in the right gears. You know when you have downshifted to 1st, LOL. And you know you only have to shift one more time from the whine in 5th. I'm still going to try some Heavy Shockproof, mainly because it has been torture tested in my Deuce successfully. Also curious to see if it makes a difference in noyze. It's not really loud enough to be annoying, just makes you wonder why it only does it in two gears. I guess the gear cut answers that question. All in All the SG is the sweetest bike I've ever ridden.

Jimbob

randallwhitman

HV......Stick a JIMS six speed in your shovel, and you'll be a VERY happy camper.  (I know)  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

HV

Quote from: randallwhitman on November 04, 2008, 05:50:32 PM
HV......Stick a JIMS six speed in your shovel, and you'll be a VERY happy camper.  (I know)  Randy

Now thats a good idea heheh
Skype HV.HTT

Skullfork

RedLine quited mine down a good bit initially, and it's gotten even quiter with the miles to the point I hardly notice it anymore ...