September 20, 2024, 08:21:23 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anyone adjust for a quick start and quick transition to idle?

Started by WVULTRA, October 01, 2011, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVULTRA

Quote from: rbabos on October 13, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
Quote from: wurk_truk on October 13, 2011, 04:26:16 PM
Hey, the more you dick with this and learn, the more you should post on this subject.  I agree with you 100% on your thoughts on this area of tuning.

Wurk
Yeah, but don't venture too far out of the box. Some tuners are sensitive. :hyst:
Ron

I hear you!   :doh:

The lack of posts to this thread from those "in the know" speaks volumes!

:scratch:

'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

Scotty

Now that you have the TPS & IAC set correctly the other tables are not that hard and it is just a matter of taking the tables down slowly and testing. The bitch is that once started you have to let it cool down overnight to do a absolute cold start so it might take a week or so to get it where you want it and that is why most tuners don't play around to much with the cold start tables but it's not hard just slightly time consuming of flash, start adjust then test tomorrow but well worth the effort when you start your bike up and it settles into a real nice idle almost straight away.
Warm starts are the other end of the tables and don't take long to do as it is more fun to ride so the motor should be hot all the time  :hyst:

Steve Cole

Here is a trick to keep cold starts easier to do. It still takes some time but it allows for several times a day. Before you start the bike get a couple of household fans. Place one on each side of the engine and turn them on. I like to place each one such that it blows air at the front cylinder and the other at the rear cylinder. Now prior to starting the bike get the datalogger running so you can record cold startup. If using DataMaster you need to turn the switches on and wait for the fuel pump to stop then start your recording. Start the bike and allow it to only run long enough for the idle to settle in then switch it off and stop the recording. Now you have a capture of what happened and the fans have kept the engine from warming up and while you review the data to see what adjustment you want to make. The fans are cooling the engine while you make adjustments. What I find here is it takes about 15 minutes for the fans to get the engine back to room temperature and your ready for another cold start with your new changes. All in all you can get everything done in a few hours using this method and then check your final setting the next day after the bike sits for the night.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

wurk_truk

Steve, if you get the time, could you give an over view of what to look at first?  Second?  ETC, and how YOU would attack all of this?

I think engine start up is a crucial part of a good tune.  What Scotty says makes perfect sense about tuners and cold starts, in general.  Time is money.....
Oh No!