September 20, 2024, 08:28:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HD now has Hydra chain conversion kit!

Started by tomp, January 26, 2009, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

96FLSTF

If I do this SE Conversion, would I still replaced BOTH inner cam bearings with the B-148s?

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

Billy

Quote from: 96FLSTF on January 28, 2009, 12:22:46 PM
If I do this SE Conversion, would I still replaced BOTH inner cam bearings with the B-148s?

Gene

YUP!!
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Sonny S.

In regards to ViennaHog's motor.

Just think how much trash is in that motor while the rings are seating.

fstbgr01

i have been looking  at the s&s ist ignition but looks like they only have it for the 2004 and2006 models siince i have replaced my mmefi with a carb would i be able to run this ignition system.

fxrp

Quote from: tomp on January 27, 2009, 10:05:29 PM
Some of us want off-the-shelf cam selection and availability without having to pay extra for them to be custom ground.

Well we're getting there. Wood just got added to the list; as demand grows others will start to offer conversion cams.

Paul

Don D

If Wood is selling the conversion cams that's news to me and I am a dealer for him. Just bought a tw5-6 and it needed to be ground and sleeved. I hope he does it saves a lot of money and time.

fxrp

I am also a Wood Performance dealer. I talked to Bobby yesterday. He rattled off a list of his most popular grinds which will be available in three weeks (mid feb); I can't rattle them all off but, TW-6, 7H, 408-6, that's all I can remember, there were a few more and he said he would machine one of his other grinds in-house for about $100. If the market grows he'll make more of his grinds available for conversion.

Paul

george248

So are you saying that the popular Woods cams for the conversion will be regular prices?

fxrp

I didn't get a price but if he follows the others offering conversion cams, Andrews, Wild Things, (couldn't tell from Tman site) the price will be the same. I know Andrews grinds Bobby's cams and the Andrews price is the same silent chain, roller chain, or conversion $273.36 MSRP.

Paul

Herko

January 29, 2009, 05:23:44 AM #84 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:26:52 AM by Herko
Quote from: Rokinrider on January 28, 2009, 07:23:28 AM
I am planning on doing one of these retrofits next month. I have a question for Herko or whoever wants to help out. How is the new style cam plate holding up or is it too soon to tell. I'm not afraid to spend extra $$ for a different cams but if I can keep my 203s and go with this HD thing WTF. On the other hand installing one without outer bearings doesn't require a press?? I just need to quit tire kicking and support Herko instead of the MOCO.

Rokin :beer:

With a few exceptions the new plate is holding up very well. This plate has been installed on every production Big Twin 07 and up. Put the 06 Dyna's on that list too. Debris in an engine...different story as cited above.

203's...a 203 for a late model can be configured to a conversion cam. Trick here is accuracy. .0005 (1/2 thou) is the max spec. Closer is better. Or get a ready made AP 26. The 26 specs out close to the 203.

Installation: This will be one of the easiest cam installs a you'll ever do. No more fretting with the outer bearings. No press or special outer tools needed. Good idea to change the inner bearings though...B-148 Toringtons.

Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Herko

January 29, 2009, 05:35:21 AM #85 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:44:16 AM by Herko
From my notes, last price I recd for the T-Man conversion cams...$315.00 retail.
BTW, new AP price list just out (Jan 09) conversions cams...$281.56
AP 216015 34T Trigger Sprocket $59.87

Rokinrider

Thanks Herko! I know it's out there somewere but what's your  Email. I need a price for the cams,conversion kit and how you want paid. No big rush but the time to upgrade is now.

Thanks Rokin :up:
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

Herko

Quote from: Rokinrider on January 29, 2009, 06:18:52 AM
  Thanks Herko! I know it's out there somewere but what's your  Email. I need a price for the cams,conversion kit and how you want paid. No big rush but the time to upgrade is now.

Thanks Rokin :up:

herko at insightbb dot com
Thanks.

rmc115

Just a observation I noticed for 99-01 bikes. If you have a carb and a aftermarket Ignition box, most do not use the cam position sensor. You can use the new chain if thats the case. I think mine is a crane ign box that says no cam signal needed. Mike
00 Fatboy, 95"wood tw6, diamond cut,se 44mm  <br />20 Ultra Limited

Ed Y

Quote from: rmc115 on January 29, 2009, 10:46:00 AM
Just a observation I noticed for 99-01 bikes. If you have a carb and a aftermarket Ignition box, most do not use the cam position sensor. You can use the new chain if thats the case. I think mine is a crane ign box that says no cam signal needed. Mike

I'll add my 2 cents to that. I've got a SE Adjustable Map Ignition on my 99 and it also doesn't use the cam position sensor.

96FLSTF

So below is the Kit to include the additional Spacer Kit  25285-08  & Drive Gear Retention Kit 25533-99A (Top middle). It also calls out for a Cam Service Kit 17045-99C not in the photo but I have out in the garage. So for the only thing that don't make no sense is why they state the need for the additional Drive Gear Retention Kit because in the box with the Upgrade kit was a bag marked 25284-08-SUBA (Top left bag). I think that might be part of a Big Bore Kit & got put in the box by accident??? It has 1 of each cam & crank bolt, one of each washers and some misc. screws I'm not sure yet where they might be meant for, while the actual Gear Retention Kit has 1 cam bolt but 2 crank bolts & 3 washers???? I think these additional kits might be a bit screwed up.

So here's the pic of the kit

Gene

I like the billet Support Plate:

One question:
Most recommended way to lube the new pump before installation??? Disassemble & use assembly lube?
05 95" FLHRSI

Jeffd

that is what i did and then I turned the motor over via spinning the rear wheel until the oil was coming up and out the push rods.

WVULTRA

96FLSTF:

QuoteOne question:
Most recommended way to lube the new pump before installation??? Disassemble & use assembly lube?

Disassemble and thoroughly coat the new pump components with a good assembly lube was my procedure.  And an easy way of "priming" these systems on a bagger is to hook a simple remote starter switch to the bike's starter, and spin her over a few times.(with plugs out)

Worked great!

:idea: :up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

96FLSTF

Quote from: WVULTRA on January 29, 2009, 06:08:41 PM
96FLSTF:

QuoteOne question:

Disassemble and thoroughly coat the new pump components with a good assembly lube was my procedure.  And an easy way of "priming" these systems on a bagger is to hook a simple remote starter switch to the bike's starter, and spin her over a few times.(with plugs out)

Worked great!

:idea: :up:

Many Thanks!
I actually got one of those push buttons on the side of the starter solenoid on my kids fatboy. I think I'll steal it......................

Gene

05 95" FLHRSI

Herko

Gene,
Thanks for the pics and description.

Might want to consider using the S&S retainer plate to secure your bearings in the plate. Cheap insurance for the peace of mind and the job it does.

Jeffd

If this is the same as the SE cam plate that retro's the new style oil pump to the pres 07's the S&S retainer plate won't work (at least without drilling and taping the cam plate as the holes are diff.)

Herko

Quote from: Jeffd on January 30, 2009, 05:31:49 AM
If this is the same as the SE cam plate that retro's the new style oil pump to the pres 07's the S&S retainer plate won't work (at least without drilling and taping the cam plate as the holes are diff.)

Good to know. Thanks Jeff.

Hoist!

This kit retrofits pre '06 Dynas and earlier TC's to the current hydraulic tensioner system while still allowing you to retain the original chain drive cams. The new SE camplate (for '06 Dynas and up) requires the use of the newer style cams. This kit lets you use your old ones. All it says to me is that HD finally admitted that their original tensioner system is junk, which we've known for years! :wink:

Hoist! :smiled:
"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

fxrp

I thnk the more we learn about it the worse it looks. It retains the outer bearings, not good IMO, it retains the morse secondary chain, what a joke, and on the '99 to '01 bikes it retains the morse primary chain, you throw away the primary roller chain and sprockets!

Gee what a deal!

harleywood

Umm, the Morse style chain has been used to drive automotive camshafts for the last 40 years or so. Now they're junk? :crook:
05 FLHT
95", SE251, AMS, SE 10.5, .030 Cometic.