April 30, 2024, 11:07:32 AM

News:

Will evo motors fit in shovelhead frames ?

Started by bluerim, January 27, 2009, 05:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluerim

What can anyone tell me about the fittment or problems with an ultima (evo)127  motor being put into a shovelhead bagger frame ?
Thanks for all replies. 

bigpete1

the frame need to lifted over top of where rear cylinder is and the seat post needs to be to be modified as well that area where rocker box would be close to frame right about by clutch cable mount up to top of seat post need to cut front half of seat post out and weld in flat plate ,hope this helps   

bluerim

Thanks..
It already sounds like I need to wait for  an evo project.

gryphon

When you say "bagger frame" are you refering to an FLH or an FLT? If it's an FLH it a lot or trouble. If it's an FLT then not so much.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: bluerim on January 27, 2009, 05:07:27 PM
What can anyone tell me about the fittment or problems with an ultima (evo)127  motor being put into a shovelhead bagger frame ?
Thanks for all replies. 

I know that an Evolution will fit into a Shovelhead-era FXR frame. I also think that they will fit into the FLT touring Shovelhead. With minor changes, they fit the Shovelhead rubber mount frames.

Putting an Evolution engine in a four speed Shovelhead frame would be a whole different issue requiring cutting, bending and other modification. I woudln't bother since I prefer Shovelhead engines anyway.

ST40

I think there was only 1 or 2 years during the Shovel/Evo transition that an Evo would fit in a Shovel FX frame.     :smiled:    Marty
Marty

IBARider

It'll fit in my '82 fxr and the flt had the same frame. 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

hardonthemerch

"Putting an Evolution engine in a four speed Shovelhead frame would be a whole different issue requiring cutting, bending and other modification. I woudln't bother since I prefer Shovelhead engines anyway. "

The above makes it sound a lil worse than it is I think.
Rubber mounts - they'll work pretty easy for sure.

NOW let's talk shovel rigid mount. FL and FX either one. A STOCK evo will fit some of the time with only hammering of the backbone neccesary. (seen it personally) - However I have heard and can very much believe that some of them would require too much hammering - S&S use to have a 4X4 evo available, but no more I don't think. - A 127 may be taller (if I remember right they are) and would be more of a mod than a simply stock height evo -

EVEN the stock height 120's could pose a problem because the jugs are fatter. Again I can only attest to stock EVO's

bluerim

I'm partial to flh baggers. I like the batwing fairing. I guess you can add a fairing to other models as well. But I like the Electraglides and the fairings they have.
Now I'm getting a little confused.  Assuming I give up my search for a shovelhead bagger and stick with 1984-1999 evo glides, will a 127 ultima motor fit?
Maybe I should  just build another twincam motor and stick it in my 01 glide. (keep my 95" and put it on the shelf)
Ya listening GMR or Hillside ?
I'm going away for a few days so won't be able to respond to any posts. I'll read them later.
Thanks all.

stroker800

I have worked on solid mount evo to 4 speed before,,,Easyriders tech tips covers it. There job will work ,,kinda "not so retty"...I can't comment on rubbermounts,,,,but on big motore ,,sometimes the fins are too lage to install the engine mounting bolts in back motor mounts( this is a solid mount set up).
Dave

rayfeldt

randallwhitman

bluerim......Paughco sells four speed style frames that will accommodate a tall Evo motor.  I believe you can see Gryphon's bike in the shovel forum.  Randy
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

Ultrashovel

Quote from: hardonthemerch on January 28, 2009, 11:11:33 AM
"Putting an Evolution engine in a four speed Shovelhead frame would be a whole different issue requiring cutting, bending and other modification. I woudln't bother since I prefer Shovelhead engines anyway. "

The above makes it sound a lil worse than it is I think.
Rubber mounts - they'll work pretty easy for sure.

NOW let's talk shovel rigid mount. FL and FX either one. A STOCK evo will fit some of the time with only hammering of the backbone neccesary. (seen it personally) - However I have heard and can very much believe that some of them would require too much hammering - S&S use to have a 4X4 evo available, but no more I don't think. - A 127 may be taller (if I remember right they are) and would be more of a mod than a simply stock height evo -

EVEN the stock height 120's could pose a problem because the jugs are fatter. Again I can only attest to stock EVO's

I didn't say it couldn' tbe done. I just said it would take a lot of work. Hammering on a frame to make something fit is beyond the pale for me. If I were to do someting like that, I would try to engineer it so that it looked nice. I'm sure you would also.

hardonthemerch

Deye76

Hammer all you like, till the frames integrity is compromised, some 4spd frames just wont accept one without seat post modification. The Factory did make a swing arm frame, 4spd, that had an Evo motor in it. Only 1 year IIRC. As mentioned, Paughco has them. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hardonthemerch

Quote from: Deye76 on January 29, 2009, 11:39:22 AM
Hammer all you like, till the frames integrity is compromised, some 4spd frames just wont accept one without seat post modification. The Factory did make a swing arm frame, 4spd, that had an Evo motor in it. Only 1 year IIRC. As mentioned, Paughco has them. 

1985 FXE's - I had one of them. -Real one-off seat pan too. - I was able to get some 4spd seats to bend enough to fit, but some wouldn't/ - You said. SOME you can hammer all you want, but they won't fit. - Whether it be height or seat post - However SOME will. - to be clear.

Hoist!

'85 and '86 4-speed frames are ALL Evo frames!!!

Hoist! :smiled:
"I just want to be free! Free to ride my machine and not be hassled by the man!"

Crush

Just finishing putting a evo in a 72 FLH frame.
Seat post 1" stretch and front of the frame stretched so that the tanks would fit. No seat post hammering or flattening. Looks like it belongs. I want to use my original exhaust and gonna try and incorporate evolution and shovel pipes together to make it work. That may be a challenge...

Crush

Exhaust it done. Used an exhaust from a Fatbob for the bends and flanges and grafted it on to the shovelhead exhaust. Worked out perfect and now am enjoying my shovelution!