September 20, 2024, 08:25:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Baker comp almost ready for shipping.

Started by Soft 02, January 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soft 02

Just curious. Seems like everything that can be thought of has been done.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Ohio HD

I don't think HD would have changed the design, and added some lubrication to the compensator, if they felt it were a pure quality / bad luck of the draw situation. Nor would Hoban Brothers be investing, nor Baker investing. And of course Compensavor investing, and being the first to the scene. Let's not also forget the stock compensator from 2007 to 2013? that were clunking and causing starter kickback.

There's been way to many that get replaced under warranty, and by the cost of the owner for it to be a random occurrence IMHO.

Reddog74usa

Revision after revision after revision.  :banghead: I'd be embarrassed to call myself a driveline engineer for Harley Davidson  :emoGroan:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Mountainman streetbob

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 09, 2015, 12:47:58 PM
I don't think HD would have changed the design, and added some lubrication to the compensator, if they felt it were a pure quality / bad luck of the draw situation. Nor would Hoban Brothers be investing, nor Baker investing. And of course Compensavor investing, and being the first to the scene. Let's not also forget the stock compensator from 2007 to 2013? that were clunking and causing starter kickback.

There's been way to many that get replaced under warranty, and by the cost of the owner for it to be a random occurrence IMHO.

I am convinced 100% the compensator needs better oiling and better design. Absolutely... Why has the MOCO not done more to address this? $$$ of course.

I don't put ANYTHING STUPID beyond any corporation anymore. Too many years watching corporations be stupid.

In 1998 I left a company named TAKATA after they decided to change how we did maintenance and non destructive testing in quality control. You might recognize that companies name. They have HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of airbag inflators being recalled going back to 1999. Which happens to be when the last properly trained maintenance guy under me left and they no longer maintained a proper vacuum in the inflator before sealing it. When the inflator is not perfectly sealed it then sucks in moist air due to the sodium azide being hygroscopic and either creates crystals that are instable and explode or neutralizes the sodium azide making inert or exploding in an uncontrolled fashion with dangerous pressue spikes. It took 8 years to become a recognized problem and 15years to be a scandal and it is costing MILLIONS of dollars.
Every manager and member of our maintenance team knew all this was going to happen in 1998 but Corporate saved about 60 man hours a week in maintenance and quality control in those interim years... The people that are now being held accountable never even knew the dangers they were creating as the company also stopped training them on this "possible" problem.

The moco has done the EXACT SAME THING with cam production recently resulting in improperly ground cams to eat up 110 motors and rushmore motors in recent years... Those cam recalls and cam failures were 100% engineering and quality control issues. Cam grinding machines built and calivrated in metric settings then poorly changed over to sae measurements as well as programs created in Germany and not updated properly when installed in America as there was a pissing contest between operators+engineering+the installation technicians and the company... TYPICAL AMERICAN MANUFACTURING BS... Whats most emberassing to the moc is this cam issue has happened at least 3 different times and each time it took dozens of motors eating themselves to figure it out due to spotty quality control and programs for loading and unloading that are unreliable.

Moco knows how to fix the compensator issue once and for all but they do not wish to spend the $$$ to do it properly. THAT SIMPLE
Brice H Dyal  The "Mountainmman"
US Army 89-01 35H/12B US Army AMC

Latrobedyna

I have a heck of a good idea how to make one that last a fairly long time. And when it needs repaired it could be done at home with about $10.00 worth of parts and 15 minutes of work once you open the primary up. Hell it would not even need to come off the bike ! But i have neither the finances or the resources to make one. If i did i be making them for you folks.
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rbabos on March 09, 2015, 08:19:50 AM
Quote from: Max Headflow on March 09, 2015, 07:46:02 AM

Not sure how valid some of you reasoning is... For 1, I've got a 2000 dyna that has a 4 5/8 stroke and 3.08 grearing and run it at 2500 a lot, Comp has 30 K on this way plus 15K as a high compression 95 and 7K as Stage 1 88.. Way hasn't the comp worn out of it?
Your bike is a dyna (light) plus you are using a form of an oiler on it, which confirms the benifits of adding oil to the comp :wink: Next question?
Ron

The Dyna does not have anything done to move oil in the primary.. In fact it still has the original chain tensioner.. Chain was worn out tho..

Light bike but enough TQ applied to kill a SnS 1 1/2 inch crank in about 20K.   Crank pin has the same flex points on it as the crank that Randy showed.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Mountainman streetbob on March 09, 2015, 01:38:38 PM

Moco knows how to fix the compensator issue once and for all but they do not wish to spend the $$$ to do it properly. THAT SIMPLE

I wonder about that.
Baker is a pretty smart guy, so are the guys at the other aftermarket companies working on the problem and nobody has come out with a hands down cure including Harley's three attempts.
Every Twin cam produced from 07 up is a potential customer so demand is not the problem, the right cure seems to be the problem.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on March 09, 2015, 02:45:59 PM
Quote from: Mountainman streetbob on March 09, 2015, 01:38:38 PM

I wonder about that.
Baker is a pretty smart guy, so are the guys at the other aftermarket companies working on the problem and nobody has come out with a hands down cure including Harley's three attempts.
Every Twin cam produced from 07 up is a potential customer so demand is not the problem, the right cure seems to be the problem.
The right cure is there. They have the attitude their "Potty mouth" don't stink and refuse to use it. :wink: Besides people will keep buying the sub standard crap to live the dream and they know it.
Ron

rageglide

Ain't that the truth... of course their biggest customer base is switching over to walkers... 

I think the best we can hope for is a class action suit to reimburse those who have had to buy a replacement comp... heck, while their at it, class action the cranks too.  I'll keep my receipts... lol

rbabos

Quote from: rageglide on March 09, 2015, 03:25:51 PM
Ain't that the truth... of course their biggest customer base is switching over to walkers... 

I think the best we can hope for is a class action suit to reimburse those who have had to buy a replacement comp... heck, while their at it, class action the cranks too.  I'll keep my receipts... lol
:hyst:
Ron

hogpipes1

March 10, 2015, 06:06:51 PM #410 Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:09:27 PM by hogpipes1
What is the big deal about this comp- BS   i have it all figured out after only 3 beers.  My 58 flh had a simple cap in frt. pri-cover , pop it off stick a grease gun on the comp zerk fitting, couple pumps   :oil::and your good for 1500 miles.  Now that sys grease been around you could go longer.  :beer:  :beer:  :beer:

jam65

You could even index the rear wheel position with a hole at the top of the primary to match up to the location of your zerk fitting. Rubber grommet over the hole when done and off you go.

misfitJason

I saw and held baker's new comp in my hands today. Even got to take it apart. Seems like it will work very nicely. I am impressed with it however I am not a trained engineer. I majored in science
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

PoorUB

Quote from: Mountainman streetbob on March 08, 2015, 07:10:13 PM
Somewhere along the way we are all missing the point...

The design of the comp is poor....

However at least 80%-90% of all compensators never show a problem???

80% of HDs never leave the garage.

No miles, no problem.

Seriously, somewhere I read that the average miles put on a motorcycle was something like 3,500 per year.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

jam65

FWIW, my post was tongue in cheek since I have an Evo 30 tooth sprocket. I don't have a disposable compensator. But I do have a semi disposable crank that shows no wear at this point.

rageglide

Quote from: PoorUB on March 10, 2015, 06:51:38 PM
Quote from: Mountainman streetbob on March 08, 2015, 07:10:13 PM
Somewhere along the way we are all missing the point...

The design of the comp is poor....

However at least 80%-90% of all compensators never show a problem???

80% of HDs never leave the garage.

No miles, no problem.

Seriously, somewhere I read that the average miles put on a motorcycle was something like 3,500 per year.

I think it's lower than that!  Sadly.   I know a guy who bought a new ducati in 2004 and it's got 900 miles on it.  All miles put on in the first month...  He's owned multiple bikes, but just doesnt' ride much.... lol if at all. An Owner.

FlaHeatWave

Yesterday, Baker said will ship in may
'01 FXDWG2 Red 103/6sp  '05 FLHTCSE2 Cherry  '09 FLTRSE3 Yellow 117/DD7

sprinkman

I have a 2009 Tri-Glide owned since new have approx. 42000 miles on it. I open up the primary 2 years ago to install new clutch along with a hayden tensioner. At that time took a look at the comp. very little fretting and small amount of wear. My question is, It is on it's last year of extended warrenty do I need to complain and get the comp. replaced or ride and replace with Baker on my dime?
sprinkman

Ohio HD

Any time you can get a replacement for free, I would do it. If nothing else, you will see how well the Baker holds up over time.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 11, 2015, 06:56:04 AM
Any time you can get a replacement for free, I would do it. If nothing else, you will see how well the Baker holds up over time.

Even if it's committing fraud?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 11, 2015, 07:09:10 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 11, 2015, 06:56:04 AM

Even if it's committing fraud?

Of course not Max. I assume the complaint would have something behind it. As such they will not replace it.

Buffalo

Doesn't the people honouring the ESp have to see that a part actually failed first. If it hasn't failed, you can't just get it replaced because it might fail, right??
That to me is neither a warranty or esp issue.  Buffalo

glens

"In the event it goes south and
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 11, 2015, 06:56:04 AMAny time you can get a replacement for free, I would do it. If nothing else, you will see how well the Baker holds up over time.
"

fixed...

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 11, 2015, 07:09:10 AMEven if it's committing fraud?

Late to the game on this aspect of the thread, but while reading through it I was thinking the exact same thing just before I got to your reply.  Verbatim.

rageglide

Admiral Akbar