May 07, 2024, 04:15:54 PM

News:

Hey My Crank Is Still Good

Started by RXBOB, November 10, 2015, 03:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RXBOB

November 10, 2015, 03:41:54 AM Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 03:43:58 AM by RXBOB
WTF riding home from work tonight got two sets of lights from home and start getting a loud induction noise coming from the air cleaner.

Heard a story of a similar noise and it being loose butterfly screws so got home and sure as "Potty mouth" the screws in the butterfly are loose.

So I pull out the screw thinking thank Fark that didn't go through the engine and will Loctite this sucker back in places and WTF I find this

its the first time I have seen or heard of this before

Now I know that ya don't get know warranty on these Hurricane kits but HD will be giving me a new Throttle body that's for sure

bootit

1FSTRK

It happens more often than you think,
Big overlap, big ports, the right exhaust combo and it gets plenty or reversion.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

strokerjlk

My SE 62 mm loosened up also . Didn't crack, break like yours though .
Crank didn't shift either . :hyst:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

RXBOB

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 10, 2015, 03:52:14 AM

Double little dude rolling on ground laughing

1FSTRK

Quote from: strokerjlk on November 10, 2015, 03:52:14 AM

Jim you have to realize not every touring bike gets babied on Sunday rides. There are some guys out there making big power, that ride hard.  :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Sunny Jim

Bob, we only spoke about a new TB last week, as you may remember.
HPI perhaps.

Ohio HD

Quote from: RXBOB on November 10, 2015, 03:41:54 AM
WTF riding home from work tonight got two sets of lights from home and start getting a loud induction noise coming from the air cleaner.

Heard a story of a similar noise and it being loose butterfly screws so got home and sure as "Potty mouth" the screws in the butterfly are loose.

So I pull out the screw thinking thank Fark that didn't go through the engine and will Loctite this sucker back in places and WTF I find this

its the first time I have seen or heard of this before

Now I know that ya don't get know warranty on these Hurricane kits but HD will be giving me a new Throttle body that's for sure

CHIT!    Glad it didn't go down the drain so to speak.   

harleytuner

just had a customer in for a tune with a 103 stage IV build he and his Bro-in-law built.  His cam out on the dyno and got sucked up into the head.  SE 58MM.  He put 500 miles on it with the canned MAP to break it in before bringing it to me.

rageglide

Dang RXBOB, you dodged a bullet man.. Maybe HPI shaft is stronger?  That's crazy.  Glad you heard it and didn't just keep riding it.  :up:

harleytuner, that's nuts man - 500 miles like mine plus dyno time before my bolt fiasco.  So how much total damage incurred?  New piston and valve/head repair?  Guessing the engine didnt' come to a screetching halt?

harleytuner

Engine died at 5K RPM on a wide open pull.  New head, cylinder, piston and Throttle body.  HD actually stepped up to the plate and supplied the throttle body and head. 

rageglide

Quote from: harleytuner on November 10, 2015, 09:05:38 AM
Engine died at 5K RPM on a wide open pull.  New head, cylinder, piston and Throttle body.  HD actually stepped up to the plate and supplied the throttle body and head.

Damn.  I figured that smaller bolt/screw would have just caused a lot of noise.  Mine bent the crank, but the bolt was fair bit larger... also died at maybe 3-3500rpm... not a pull, just going through the gears.   I think I'm going to look my new HPI TP screws over again while TB is on the bench, I believe they are staked. 

Dodgy

Crikey Ando! You're a lucky bastard for sure!

Trouble

Hey RXBOB,
Good catch. But
I wouldn't run it like that if I were you.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

cmashark

So, what is the best way to prevent this?  I know my bike has a fair amount of reversion/thumping in the intake and I have an SE58mm.  Does the competition (S&S or HPI) beef up their TBs?  Definitely don't want FOD this thing out.

Chris
2021 FLHXSE

RXBOB

Quote from: Trouble on November 10, 2015, 04:53:58 PM
Hey RXBOB,
Good catch. But

No It will not be run like that.

Got a bike here now getting new comp and oil cooler fitted and happens to have the 120rx in it and of course a SE62mm TB, I have permission to use and get down the drag strip tonight YEHBOY

rageglide

Ohio HD

Quote from: RXBOB on November 10, 2015, 09:04:03 PM
Quote from: Trouble on November 10, 2015, 04:53:58 PM
Hey RXBOB,
Good catch. But

No It will not be run like that.

Got a bike here now getting new comp and oil cooler fitted and happens to have the 120rx in it and of course a SE62mm TB, I have permission to use and get down the drag strip tonight YEHBOY

:up:

RXBOB

Just joined the 10Sec Club with a 10.76  :SM:

C-Cat

Quote from: RXBOB on November 11, 2015, 04:52:23 AM
Congrats, that's awesome!  :up:
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

1FSTRK

November 11, 2015, 05:16:41 AM #20 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:19:48 AM by 1FSTRK

:up: :up:

How about posting in the race section giving us the spec sheet on the bike and what ever else it took to get there.
I like your thread there on 60ft times.

C-Cat

November 11, 2015, 05:31:59 AM #21 Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:32:22 AM by C-Cat
You didn't squeak in, well into the tens.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Ohio HD

Excellent Ando!       :up:

rageglide

RXBOB

Cheers All
HTT has played a big part in this