News:

Main Menu

Manual compression release install

Started by Vwk68, February 16, 2016, 02:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vwk68

I'm looking for specs for placement and angle to drill and tap my heads for manual compression releases. Nobody close by has a tool so I'm wanting to either do it myself or have a machine shop do it. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

prodrag1320

Email me at  and ill get you everything you need(trying put stuff on here with photobucket is too much of a PITA)

harleytq

I'm interested in that info too, I work at a machine shop and can do the milling,drilling myself. I just need to know where and what size. Also what are the best manual comp releases to buy, and are they all the same thread size? Someone said screamin eagle has a sheet on placement and the angle is at 15 degrees. someone else said the jims tool is at 25 degrees, which is better?

Jim Bronson

I don't know if they're the best, but I've been using SE releases on my 05 Dyna since new, and all I do is squirt a few drops of WD40 in them about once a year. They take a licking and keep on clicking.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

les

Have you considered buying the SE 94638-08?  Then the job would already be done and you can do lots more of them.

harleytq

les,
Well my idea was to save some money, doing it myself. I have been a tool maker for about 25 years, why pay someone else $125 to drill some holes or buy a $250 jig that I would never use again?

harleytq

Thanks Max,
So is that the same position as the fixture tool(jig) would be at?

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: harleytq on February 16, 2016, 07:17:08 PM
Thanks Max,
So is that the same position as the fixture tool(jig) would be at?

Don't really know. Not used a fixture. Pretty much always used the instructions and a mouse mill..

FSG

QuoteSo is that the same position as the fixture tool(jig) would be at?

Yes,

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,36374.0.html

-J04509

harleytq

Quote from: TorQueInc on February 16, 2016, 09:51:13 PM
where do you live ?
I am in East Bethel, MN

The comp release max gave me says drill a 3/32 or .090 hole into the combustion chamber and the other one says use a 1/16 drill, whats best?

Vwk68

I'm in southeast Kansas. I can't seem to get any of the links to work but maybe it's because I'm on my phone?

Matt C

I do it on a regular Mill using Kirby's cheat sheet. You'll either need an angle plate or, tilt the mill head
to the proper angle. Problem with that is you'll need to re-tram the mill after words  (PITA), but if you're
only doing one set, that might be the way to go. The threaded hole is 10 x 1.25

harleytq

MCE,
SE instructions say 10mm x 1.0 threads. Do some have different size threads?

Wheres the best place to get the AV&V releases? and what ones are best, the long say for twincam the short say for evo?

Matt C

You're right, 10 x 1 is correct.

I use Vulcan releases. They're stainless steel and all metal. No plastic nobs or anything like that.

harleytq

What size should the hole be, that goes into the chamber? .062 or .090 whats better?

lt1-xjs

My local HD charged me $ 40 for 1. I watched them do it with the Jim's tool setup, not the SE.
2002 FLHT

les

Quote from: lt1-xjs on February 17, 2016, 10:12:44 AM
My local HD charged me $ 40 for 1. I watched them do it with the Jim's tool setup, not the SE.

That's pretty good.  That's what I charge per head.  JIMS makes all the SE tools.  They just lazier etch the Harley stuff on the tools so H-D can resell.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: MCE on February 17, 2016, 09:54:49 AM
You're right, 10 x 1 is correct.

I use Vulcan releases. They're stainless steel and all metal. No plastic nobs or anything like that.

Vulcan releases are nice and priced right.....look great too

Latrobedyna

I drilled mine .125 or 1/8'th Boy i hope it was ok. I measured the the exit hole on the release and the opening volume at the bottom of the release. and thought it be wise to drill them same size hole in the head to match flow. The exhaust hole measured .125 the bottom of the valve worked out to equal a .127 hole so that's how  came up with my measurement. i used TP Engineering releases.
2006 FXDB , 95" 57H +4% cam, 10:25 pistons: Ported head's. Lots a fun

jsachs1

I use .090".
Be careful, a "do-it-yourself" customer dropped this off for repair.
John

prodrag1320

I use a 125" hole going in thru the head,the bigger the hole,the better its going to actually let compression out when starting,you just don't want it big enough as to where the little valve in the release to fall into the combustion chamber if it were to fall apart.i use goodson releases,never had one fail (that ive been reported back on anyway)

prodrag1320

Quote from: Vwk68 on February 16, 2016, 02:26:10 PM
I'm looking for specs for placement and angle to drill and tap my heads for manual compression releases. Nobody close by has a tool so I'm wanting to either do it myself or have a machine shop do it. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

did you get the pics & everything?