April 26, 2024, 01:43:49 AM

News:

1985 FXWG or 1998 FXDWG

Started by dubepj, October 26, 2018, 04:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

sold my old bike,  Now looking to buy another on.  One is a 1985 FXWG (4 speed Kicker).  Other one is anniversary 1998 FWDWG.  Both bike have about 25000 miles. 
Which one is best for an old guy like me.  (66 years young). I'm pretty good at wrenching. Both are just about stock. 
Am a bit worried about tranny leaks on the 1985 and the fact engine is solid mounted. But I sure like the kicker part.

Mark222

I love my '85.  Have had others come and go, but keep the FXEF.  Bought her used with 7K on the clock in the mid-late 80s.  Only a one year orphan Evo (4 speed / evo) made with a collection of old shovel parts on hand and new Evo stuff.  Cases are the original sand casted variety (spelled very strong) and the tranny has not been a PIA much.  Replaced the shifter linkage once, and had the seal done "right"  by Cambell's (now long gone).  Hasn't leaked since.  Now has about 147K on the clock and only gets local miles since I got the bagger.  But I will still keep her until the end.  Owes my nothing and needs little in annual upkeep.

On the other hand if the '98 is a carb model, most all the kinks were worked out of the Evos but that year. 

Your call.  But if you want something a little different, and are a competent home shop wrench the '85 might be up your alley.

Mark

Ohio HD

If I had to pick, I'd take the '98 if I was planning to ride much. The '85 is older, and some of the parts are a little scarce. The '98 will definitely be a smoother ride. As far as the transmission on the '85, it's likely to have more issues than the five speed in the '98.

Evojoe

97 - 98 proly best Evo made as far as have all the strengths built in and the bugs fixed and you can still find parts.

guido4198

If you're idea of riding is to buzz around town, the old 4-speed kicker might be fun to have.  :bike: Seriously...Flame paint job, upswept drag pipes, lottsa chrome, ape-hangers, "King-queen" seat with high mounted passenger pegs for some lithe young thing to pull her legs up and hang her boot heels over. :chop: If I had room in the garage...that might be a fun toy to get out on now and then.  :SM: For me however...the only "'round town" miles my bike gets are the ones I put on it getting OUT OF TOWN and onto some open highway even if it's just a little 300 mi. day-hop to get lunch somewhere.
I'll never own another solid mount bike. Period. Ain't gonna happen.
That would make your 2 options an easy choice. In fact...no choice at all because the 85 wouldn't even be considered.

Breeze

There's been a kick only Shovel sitting in the corner of my garage for 20 yrs. I thought "kick only" would be a cool thing. At the time I was 53, kickers lose their cool factor after the 5th or 6th kick. I'd definitely go for the '98.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

rigidthumper

Buy em both, pass the 85 on to the grand kids, as it may be collectible in 100 years, and ride the 98 :)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

jughead

I love my 1986 FXWG (just about same as 1985).But if you don't want to wrench I`d go with something newer. I`ve been looking at a 1997 FXWGD in MD. only has 8664 miles on it .for $4500. Xtreme Powersports in accident md.

Flhfxd

Can't go wrong with either. Or both as Rigid suggested (depending on the price of course).
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

friday

Quote from: Mark222 on October 26, 2018, 05:08:45 PM
I love my '85.  Have had others come and go, but keep the FXEF.   
  Only a one year orphan Evo (4 speed / evo) made with a collection of old shovel parts on hand and new Evo stuff.    Replaced the shifter linkage once, and had the seal done "right"  by Cambell's (now long gone).  Hasn't leaked since. 

Ive heard same story before also there was a write up in ironhorse decades ago ,same story , same bike . the staffer was riding one night and bang , the shifter lever or finger/linkage broke so he had to limp home . other than that damn near perfect machine . Ive heard thats the only weak spot

tommy g

On the rigid mount 85 FXEF I had, and my brother still owns, the flywheels were balanced and going down the road it is smooth as a hard girl's leg.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

I'm a Shovelhead fan but I hates 4 speeds. Too much spread between the gears (unless you have a monster motor that doesn't care what gear it is in) and they are hard to keep the oil inside. The chassis is also compromised by the shock location, the reduced shock motion ratio is no bueno in my eyes.

So give me a Shovel with a late 5 speed and primary (Nippon starter) in a later frame.

I have not spent any time on a Dyna to know if the Hype is real around their handling (feel and stability issues).

I'd buy the FXR but only if you are going to ride it hard, otherwise the FXD.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on October 29, 2018, 09:42:06 AM
I'm a Shovelhead fan but I hates 4 speeds. Too much spread between the gears (unless you have a monster motor that doesn't care what gear it is in) and they are hard to keep the oil inside. The chassis is also compromised by the shock location, the reduced shock motion ratio is no bueno in my eyes.

So give me a Shovel with a late 5 speed and primary (Nippon starter) in a later frame.

I have not spent any time on a Dyna to know if the Hype is real around their handling (feel and stability issues).

I'd buy the FXR but only if you are going to ride it hard, otherwise the FXD.

FXR was not an option, just sayin'....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Burnout

I threw FXR out there to point out the possible shortcomings of a FXD.

If you are not stuffing it into corners an FXD is a great choice, a superior machine to an 85 FX.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

farmall

The '98 has the superior Denso OSGR starter while the fossil has the good but weaker Hitachi. You can fit the solenoid pushbutton end cover to the OSGR as backup bypass in case your switch/Bosch relay/wiring malfunctions. I install those on all my bikes. At about 20 bucks each they are a bargain. It also has the splined shaft transmission which makes for much easier maintenance than the tapered shaft fossil. Denso OSGR starters are used on millions of cars and trucks. They work very well and contact kits (not much else goes wrong with them) are dirt cheap. Starter clutches are reasonable.

OSGR-equipped bikes don't need a kicker. Kickers exist on Harleys because HD refused to fit non-fecal starters for so many years after other brands solved the problem. If you must have a kicker, Baker make very nice kits but they are expensive.

The 1998 has the oil tank where it belongs, under the transmission and out of the way. No wet sumping is a (considerable) bonus.

I'd buy the '98. I have two solid mount Shovels and enjoy them but if I had to have one motorcycle it would be one of my Evo FXRs. No contest at all.

Ironheadmike

I like the 85 . The cases are probably the strongest made being the first year then they started looking for ways to cut cost . I would much rather have a bottom breather than a top end breather . The 85 is geared with 337 gearing and the 98 is 294 . So the 85 has better pull but runs about 500 rpm faster at highway speeds .

Reddog74usa

Lots of us in our 60's don't mind wrenching myself included. Having had a few 85's I can say they are nice bikes but all in all I would go with the 98 as there much less maintenance, way easier to get parts for and if you had to wrench it would most likely be a choice not a necessity and the 98 has some very good technical advantages. Looks, we'll leave that up to you. Good luck in whichever one you choose.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Mark222

Just came across a pic of my '85.  It is a fairly long way from stock as you might tell.

Evojoe

My 97 WG S&S 111. Its stock gears will launch you like a cannon and still have more top end than a sane man needs. Iv fishtailed the back tire at 60 mph just powering up thru the gears. Dont need any more go than that on a everyday street cruzer.