April 26, 2024, 05:35:10 PM

News:

Early TC speed sensor

Started by CarlosGGodfrog, November 11, 2018, 11:53:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosGGodfrog

How does the speed sensor work ? By this I mean what does it detect ? Does the Baker 6 into 5 work with a stock (2000 Heritage) speed sensor ?

jls 64

I thing it will,but you.mast recalibrate your spedometer,googgle sim1A fron dakota digital,vss send pulses to spedometer. I thing baker provide de recalibration unit with the kit.sorry my inglsh.
js

CarlosGGodfrog

How is it different than the HD 6 speed ?

jls 64

conector type,2000 have deutz type, and the signal goes throw de pc to speedometer,when you change to six speed no longer reed the same,pulses it pickup the signal from different gear,better put new oem same part number  amd sin1 or similar  so you correct the new pulses.

jls
js

smoserx1

QuoteHow does the speed sensor work ? By this I mean what does it detect ?
My understanding is it reads the teeth on the 4th gear on the mainshaft.  I guess the increasing frequency from the faster spinning gear is sent to the speedometer and interpreted as a speed.

jls 64

yup,so he must recalibrate the speedometer,can use the old vss plus a sin1  for correct the pulses
js

Pirsch Fire Wagon

1. The Calibration Unit Ships with all DD6 Builders Kits
2. The Speed Sensor works on the revolutions of the Main Shaft. A "Hall-Effect  Sensor" on a 5v Circuit.
Tom

FSG

koko3052

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on November 11, 2018, 04:59:53 PM
2. The Speed Sensor works on the revolutions of the Main Shaft. A "Hall-Effect  Sensor" on a 5v Circuit.

That is correct! :up:

FSG

Quote from: koko3052 on November 11, 2018, 09:46:54 PM

depends on how you look at it

stock 5 speed it counts the teeth on 4th gear, change the gearset to something other than a stock 4th gear or a 6 into a 5 box and that speed sensor is going to be counting something different so a calibration unit is going to be needed

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on November 12, 2018, 05:17:25 AM

stock 5 speed it counts the teeth on 4th gear, change the gearset to something other than a stock 4th gear or a 6 into a 5 box and that speed sensor is going to be counting something different so a calibration unit is going to be needed

FSG  :up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Yes, the 4th Gear on the Main Shaft is what is used. The spacing of the Teeth are the "Window-Open (Open)" and the Teeth are "Window Closed (Ground)". The Shaft itself has no such machining.
Tom

koko3052

I was only agreeing with what Pirsch Fire Wagon was referring to as last winter I installed Bakers DD6 into my 05 Fatty. The kit included a speed sensor to be changed & a calibration unit. The calibration unit is perfect as I adjusted it with my GPS & now my stock speedo is dead on the money. I'm sure that most of us know that harley speedos always read higher than actual....maybe that's only on black bikes?? :wink:

CarlosGGodfrog

Thanks for the explanations guys.

CarlosGGodfrog

To KoKo3052 - when you recal via gps, is the speedo correct in all gears, or just in 6th (on a 6 into 5) ?

koko3052

Speedo is correct in all gears. :up:

CarlosGGodfrog

PoorUB

Carlos, the speedometer reads the output shaft speed so it doesn't matter what gear you are in, or even if you are not in gear.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

CarlosGGodfrog

Others have said it reads the teeth on fourth gear. Now I'm confused. Reading the output shaft makes sense.

PoorUB

Forth gear on the output shaft. Both comments are correct.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!