April 26, 2024, 10:23:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mueller Power Clutch Users - Beware.

Started by Jim Bronson, May 09, 2019, 06:02:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

No Cents

May 12, 2019, 09:47:26 AM #26 Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 12:26:55 AM by FSG
Quote from: JW113 on May 12, 2019, 09:38:12 AMQuestion to you guys that have had throw out bearings wear out or fail. Do you hold the clutch in with the trans in gear at stop lights?

I ask because in all my years of riding these things, even with heavy duty clutch diaphragms, never had a stock throw out bearing wear out or break.

-JW

I had the factory throw out bearing go bad while the bike was on the dyno. It made the clutch p/rod so hot it welded itself to the slinger.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

smoserx1

I keep my clutch in and in gear at most stops (a train or drawbridge might be an exception)  Never thought about it.  I did replace the bearing and 2 thrust washers about 50K ago cause I was replacing a clutch cable.  The old stuff that came out was fine.  Wife at the time talked about making a necklace pendent out of the bearing (but never did).

Jim Bronson

Quote from: JW113 on May 12, 2019, 09:38:12 AM
Question to you guys that have had throw out bearings wear out or fail. Do you hold the clutch in with the trans in gear at stop lights?

I ask because in all my years of riding these things, even with heavy duty clutch diaphragms, never had a stock throw out bearing wear out or break.

-JW
I usually kept the bike in gear at signal lights when I had the Muller installed because by he time I found neutral, the light had changed.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

JW113

I guess you have faster light change cycles then I do. Around here, if you miss the green light on or across an expressway, you're sitting for a good 2 minutes or more. I usually pop into neutral while rolling up to the light, not try to find it after already stopped...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Jim Bronson

Quote from: JW113 on May 12, 2019, 03:46:20 PM
I guess you have faster light change cycles then I do. Around here, if you miss the green light on or across an expressway, you're sitting for a good 2 minutes or more. I usually pop into neutral while rolling up to the light, not try to find it after already stopped...

-JW

Wow that would be an eternity around here. There's one or two lights around here that may be close to that during the commute.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

fbn ent

Hey kd....post a pic of the Oberon lever installed. Looks kinda ooogly but if it works I'm gonna get one.

kd

May 12, 2019, 08:46:58 PM #32 Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 11:28:16 PM by FSG
Not the best pic on the lift but you can get the idea.  I don't find it ugly at all. In fact I doubt that many will notice.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

KD

fbn ent

:up: That's not bad at all! I'm still having a bit of drag but I know I have lost some release due to a little movement in the trap door bearing on my SE six OD giving me end play in the main shaft. If I can pick up a bit more release it'll save me a tear down in the not so near future.

kd

Measure your pressure plate travel before and after an you'll know how much you gain.  I know I had a realistic number in mind I was hoping for and I got it.  I have a new Barnett clutch cable to go on and I hope that makes it even better.  My present cable has 65,000 miles on it.
KD

klammer76

Measured mine last winter. I also have a SE OD6. I have had very good luck with the Muller (I do have the baker throw out bearing). No drag, easy neutral. Once in a great while a very minor clash 2nd to 3rd but if being more authoritative with my foot I don't get it (I do not use a heel shifter). I have run Formula + in the primary for years. This year I put in Mobil1 10w-40 MC synthetic oil. I did this once years ago and it was very smooth. Put on quite a few miles last weekend between the rain and undesirable temps. Same result, very smooth with the M1 10w-40. No clash either.

I also measured the throw out from the center of the allen screw adjuster. Same reading.