April 26, 2024, 07:15:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Cam Bearing Puller

Started by gaillarry, December 12, 2008, 04:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaillarry

Replacing the cam on my 86 FLHTC with an EV27 and need the tool to remove the bearing - the price is right but will it work?

[//http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300279612962
1992 Heritage Softail Classic
Ontario, Canada

Norton Commando

Well, I'm surprised you haven't received more responses on this one. I, too, have been eyeballing this tool, so I don't have any first-hand experience. However, it looks good to me. 
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

riden2low

December 12, 2008, 09:31:00 AM #2 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:34:08 AM by riden2low
Go to Auto Zone and rent a Blind Hole Bearing Puller. Use your old cam to tap the new bearing in. Just use care in tapping the bearing in. You can feel it seat. Just use care. It took me longer to go get the tool than it took to pull the bearing. Easy and fast. The cost of the bearing puller is a good price but why buy it when you can rent a puller from Auto Zone unless you are going to use again sometime or help a buddy out.

Billy

I've bought this tool from one of our members, it removes the old bearing and installs the new one. It works well and I highly recommend:

http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=47.new#new
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

ClassicRider2002

December 12, 2008, 09:45:34 AM #4 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:48:09 PM by ClassicRider2002
Replacing the cam on my 86 FLHTC with an EV27 and need the tool to remove the bearing - the price is right but will it work?  [http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300279612962

gaillarry.....

Well I certainly don't have much to offer as far as an opinion to the viability of the particular EVO CAM Inner Cam Bearing Puller you are highlighting above.....but I can tell you that I do own the one listed below.....and with enough research back in 2005 I was able to find the actual person who is the designer of this product...the "Slinger AirFlow Works, Inc Owner and was able to order direct from him.....I can't even remember exactly now how I found him.....obviously you can purchase this puller from an Indy Dealer or your HD dealer for $231.00 which is pretty pricey but I only paid $100.00 for mine and at the time I felt it was worth it......I have used it twice....so right now my cost is around $50.00 per use....lol......As I am writing this, (the fog is clearing, lol) I seem to recall that I tried getting this product directly from my local HD dealer and because they weren't able to get it for me via the HD# they simply provided a phone number directly to the Owner who is a great guy....I remember he wasn't particularly fond of how much the product was being offered to the general public for....and was willilng to simply sell to me direct for less........for "lol" cash....so I sent him my money....lol "cash" and it arrived back to me.....the tool is very easy to use and works very well.

Slinger Airflow Works, Inc.
Camshaft Needle Bearing Remover & Installer
Slinger Airflow Works, Inc. Makes this Tool For Kent Moore Who Distributes it to HD as part number #HD-42928 & To Biker's Choice as part number # 67-0210 retail price of $231.00
The finest cam bearing removal and installation tool available
The Inner cam bearing can now be removed and installed effortlessly with the engine in the chassis, without any chance of lost needles 70-99 Big Twin models

If you decide that the affordability of the above is not acceptable to you you might look at this as an option:

This Photo below shows the EVO Inner Camshaft Needle Bearing Remover & Installer HD# 42928 which I did get a great value @ $100.00, I always try to help my other buddies out by having that odd tool.  Although you can rent a inner case bearing remover/installer tool to remove that inner cam case bearing from autozone.  Autozone calls it a a blind hole puller set #27128.  Autozone does allow folks to use this tool for free you just have to leave a security deposit.  Another option of course is that you can use the old cam to install the new bearing if you don't have either one of these options for an install tool, just be careful, although pulling it out will leave you scratching your head, and quite miserable if you use something that is inappropriate that some how allows all of those little bearings to to fall into your engine case....actually you will feel MORE than miserable.  I simply chose to purchase a tool....

Regards,

"Classic"

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

gaillarry

I sent a pm to "madtownrydr"  about his cam tool, I'd rather purchase it from a member here and from the feedback it works good.  //http://harleytechtalk.net/htt/index.php?topic=47.new#new
Ontario, Canada

ClassicRider2002

December 12, 2008, 03:07:45 PM #6 Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:51:24 PM by ClassicRider2002
I sent a pm to "madtownrydr"  about his cam tool, I'd rather purchase it from a member here and from the feedback it works good.

gaillarry~~~

I am going to add this TOPICAL DISCUSSION to the FXR RELATED TOPICAL INDEX so once you get this all figured out in terms of the tool you decide upon using please come back and post your results of using the tool for others to "glean" from.

It seems from the THREAD below several have had success with his tool as well.....so given what I have provided above,  The "Madtownrydr's Tool", and along with the Autozone option there seems to be at least three options for someone interested in removing the "Inner Cam" bearing from their EVO Cam Case as well as the "Inner Cam" bearings from their TWIN CAM Case.

Actually I wasn't aware of the offering of "Madtownrydr" but it appears there are a few folks happy with his tool here is the "THREAD" that refers to it:

FOR SALE:  INNER CAM BEARING PULLER/INSTALLER COMBO TOOL  <~~~CLICK, VIEW, & READ

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

gaillarry

I've been in contact with "madtownrydr" and will post info on his cam tool.  I know its easy to rent a tool
but I'd like to have the correct tool made for job.  I may never use it again but its there if I need it or a buddy wants to borrow it.
Ontario, Canada

ClassicRider2002

"........I'd like to have the correct tool made for job.  I may never use it again but its there if I need it or a buddy wants to borrow it......."

gaillarry~~~~

"......if a buddy wants to borrow it....."    :up:

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

gaillarry

I just bought one from Beatty "madtownrydr", $115 with shipping to Canada.  It'll be a week or two before I get it but will post results on its use.
Ontario, Canada

96roadking

Quote from: gaillarry on December 12, 2008, 04:30:02 AM
Replacing the cam on my 86 FLHTC with an EV27 and need the tool to remove the bearing - the price is right but will it work?

[//http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300279612962
The link to the tool in question is exactly the tool for the job, I have the same one and paid twice as much for it.

eglideic

AutoZone Loan A Tool program lets you use one for FREE.