April 27, 2024, 06:23:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

gas filled inside of the t/body after the engine was turned off

Started by No Cents, July 31, 2017, 01:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Only reason I know an injector can stick on occasion is , had a guy pull in and park next to me on his bagger. When he shut the engine off, it had a couple of hits of run on. Some call it dieseling. Other words not a clean shut down with a few after hits. Only way that can happen is the fuel was not shut off at the injector when the key was turned off and it was fed with some residual fuel on the last couple of compression strokes . Saw him a month later and he said it never did it again. Saw him again about a year later. Still ok, so it was a million to one episode. It would suck to park a bike and come back a few days later with an empty tank and full engine.
Ron

Templer

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on August 01, 2017, 05:46:17 AM
I agree I would send them to a shop .. As buying new ones would most likely alter the tune a fair amount .. I swapped out a bad one  a 103 with a cam and had to re tune it .. I was over 10% off on the rear .  So I would try to keep what you have just repair it ..
Seeems by this statement ,that  installed injectors from HD can be 10% different even with same part # MY prev posting on injector matching was meet with U dont know  :turd:   :wtf:    I would also check injector pressure while your into it. Takes 5 minutes

Hossamania

So you're saying the fuel injection system needs a petcock just like a carberator?
What's old is new.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

HD/Wrench

well a matched set of injectors is rather funny . As they will find a set that is close at a given pressure and duty cycle .. Its not like they are a spot on match across the board .  they are what they are you tune it to correct for variance .

No Cents

well men...I let the oil drain over night. I put fresh oil in this morning and I jerked the seat and the tank. kd...I ate my Wheaties and lifted it right off.  :hyst:
  I used that little rig I made and I cleaned both injectors. The injector in question when I 1st shot the cleaner thru it, it didn't really give a full stream like I would want to see. I was definitely clogged a little bit. I gave it two more shots of the cleaner and it shot an excellent stream thru it. I turned my rig around and gave it a couple of shots of cleaner in the opposite direction...then a couple more on the feed side. When I cleaned the 2nd injector it shot a full excellent stream thru it the 1st time. Now both injectors are shooting the same stream thru them. I buttoned the bike back up and it fired right up and it went thru the cold idle process the way it should and it idled down to 1050. I'm going to get these shorts off and throw some pants on and put it in the wind to see how it does.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Templer

My points was /IS that having a chart on a set of injectors will help IF you ever need a single unit. As tuners tune with a set installed (matched or otherwise) and any change can/will cause the tune to change, a matched set WITH chart along WITH them marked to cylinder installed can be a coin saver.  :potstir:

1workinman

I was told to install the injector back in the same location a while back . I run sea foam in the gas often in the street glide and will also in the roadglide. Glad you got the injectors cleaned out. That would cause some grief if you had not found it . Would you mind posting the fixture you made to clean the injectors thanks Jim

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on August 01, 2017, 07:39:19 AM
So you're saying the fuel injection system needs a petcock just like a carberator?
What's old is new.
I don't need one. Gas tank is under my ass. :wink: No pump, no workey.
Ron

No Cents

here you go Jim.
It's an injector pigtail and a tire valve stem that I hollowed out and drilled the cap out for the straw. I silicone around the straw . You take the o-ring off the end of the injector and push the tire valve on. I hook alligator clips to the pigtail and I attach the other end of to one post of the 9V battery. I touch the other alligator clip to the battery and you should here the injector click. I pull the one lead to the battery back off and I give the can of cleaner a spray and touch the lead back on to the battery at the same time. It will spray the cleaner thru the injector.

[attach=0]

kd

Ray, don't you think it's about time you salvaged a 9v battery connector out of an old smoke detector or something and wired it up with a push button instead of using those roach clips (I mean alligator clips  :teeth:). If you're going to be using it this much it may as well be streamlined.  :hyst: :hyst:  :potstir:
KD

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on August 01, 2017, 11:47:00 AM
here you go Jim.
It's an injector pigtail and a tire valve stem that I hollowed out and drilled the cap out for the straw. I silicone around the straw . You take the o-ring off the end of the injector and push the tire valve on. I hook alligator clips to the pigtail and I attach the other end of to one post of the 9V battery. I touch the other alligator clip to the battery and you should here the injector click. I pull the one lead to the battery back off and I give the can of cleaner a spray and touch the lead back on to the battery at the same time. It will spray the cleaner thru the injector.

[attach=0]
Thanks Ray I appreciate the advice help as usual lol

No Cents

Jim...I will put the injector body in a vise with the rig hooked on to it. I clamp it in the vise just tight enough to hold it in place...but no hard clamping pressure applied to the injector housing. The vise is used as a third hand...plus it directs the spray out of the end of the injector in a known direction. It will spray the cleaner thru the injector outward a good 5- 6 feet. This allows me to use one hand on the spray nozzle of the cleaner and one hand touching the alligator clip to the battery. It's kind of a cheap crude set up...but it works good.
   After cleaning the injectors the bike seems to be back to it's normal state.

PoorUB

Quote from: No Cents on August 01, 2017, 04:26:10 PM

Normal state? so you have it torn apart again, pistons on the work bench? :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

No Cents

rbabos

Quote from: No Cents on August 02, 2017, 05:25:28 AM
nope
I have to wonder where you are getting this crud from in the first place. Filtration ok on your bike?
Ron

No Cents

I don't know for sure Ron.  :nix:
I ran some Sea Foam for the first time thru my tank and it happened right after that. I normally would run some Marvel's Mystery oil in the tank...but I decided to try the Sea Foam for the first time. When I run this tank of gas out I'm going to check my fuel filter to be on the safe side. I did put a new fuel filter in it last year.
  My guess is the Sea Foam broke some crud loose and it got to the injector and stuck it open.

rbabos

Quote from: No Cents on August 02, 2017, 06:10:43 AM
I ran some Sea Foam for the first time thru my tank and it happened right after that. I normally would run some Marvel's Mystery oil in the tank...but I decided to try the Sea Foam for the first time. When I run this tank of gas out I'm going to check my fuel filter to be on the safe side. I did put a new fuel filter in it last year.
  My guess is the Sea Foam broke some crud loose and it got to the injector and stuck it open.
Interesting.
Ron

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on August 02, 2017, 06:10:43 AM
I like the Marvel Mystery oil its a good product. I pretty sure when you ran the sea foam and I use it a lot in my scooter it cut something loose . I not sure what the micro the fuel filer . I remember years ago I built a stain less steel fuel tank for a welder and installed it with a new carburetor.  It went to flooding again after a while . WTF I had used a steel pipe cap for the filler cap . The rust off the cap was getting under the needle on the seat . Damn lesson learned . Replaced the cap with SS and installed a magnet in the tank just in case

No Cents

Quote from: PoorUB on August 02, 2017, 05:23:33 AM
Quote from: No Cents on August 01, 2017, 04:26:10 PM

Normal state? so you have it torn apart again, pistons on the work bench? :hyst:

PoorUB...here is proof for you that I don't have the pistons sitting on the work bench.  :hyst:

https://youtu.be/r2EmsB8Xm2Y

Ohio HD

I guess you can start calling me Ray.....      :hyst:

[attach=0]

No Cents

now I don't feel so lonely   :hyst:  It makes me feel good to see someone else putting together a big dumb 124"er.  :up:  I know I like mine dumbed down from the 12.2 compression that I ran in it last summer.
   Brian...now if that was my picture...I'd have that beast of an engine sitting in the frame by days end. Hell...I would of took a vacation day to get it in there. I kind of miss those old 8-up days.  :kick:
   I know I've had enough excitement lately with that injector sticking open like it did.  :doh:  I'm just glad I walked back out to the barn when I did to catch it as quick as I did.
   I just got back from a little ride on it...it's running like it should again.  :SM:

Ohio HD

That's actually the old 117 sitting there, I just had time to pull it out last night. I need to clean the frame up, and then the 124 goes in. But I'm waiting on a stater stator and a primary chain tensioner, I don't expect them till next week.

PoorUB

Quote from: No Cents on August 03, 2017, 08:50:44 AM

PoorUB...here is proof for you that I don't have the pistons sitting on the work bench.  :hyst:

https://youtu.be/r2EmsB8Xm2Y

I was wondering! When you said normal state I figured you had it tore apart again. I swear it has to be laying in pieces more than it is in one piece! :hyst:

PoorUB

Ohio, I think Ray J fits, ya know for Ray Junior. But keep in mind you need to tear the engine down 3-4 times a year to keep that moniker! :hyst:

Ohio HD