April 30, 2024, 03:02:46 AM

News:

M8 crank and balancer questions

Started by Geezer_Glider, August 16, 2017, 09:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer_Glider

Has anyone had the new M8 crank apart to see the difference in rod bearings and rods? Any other differences? Has anyone removed the balancer? Seems you could easily do without as they maintained the same rubber mounting. I never was bothered by idle rpm shake and getting that swinging mass out of the case would be a good thing for case volume and any bearing issues it may have, along with a small parasitic power loss.
Just asking,
R Meyer   

rbabos

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on August 16, 2017, 09:38:12 AM
Has anyone had the new M8 crank apart to see the difference in rod bearings and rods? Any other differences? Has anyone removed the balancer? Seems you could easily do without as they maintained the same rubber mounting. I never was bothered by idle rpm shake and getting that swinging mass out of the case would be a good thing for case volume and any bearing issues it may have, along with a small parasitic power loss.
Just asking,
R Meyer
I don't think the rubber mounting is exactly the same. All I can add is the vrod is balanced and rubber mounted. The ones that removed the balancers for racing apps mentioned the vibes more. I would dig deeper before yanking them out. The different rubber mount might not totally kill the upper vibes.
Ron

Geezer_Glider

Rear mount is the same part number front is different number but same overall appearance. Would also be good to know if HD went to a different % balance factor on the crank and if you would need a spacer on the crank if you pulled the balancer drive gear.
Just thinking,
R Meyer

Durwood

I have given some thought to removing the balancer down the road, I think it would be an easy thing to do, then just have the crank prepped and balanced to the new pistons that will be used.

I've heard that cylinders are coming soon to enable 143" with the 4.50" arm, or 140" with the 4.375".  Case bore required.

Now that would be a fun build. :smiled:

Geezer_Glider

That will be good. With the new stud spacing we can really go big. Is it the same as Jims and/or S&S spacing?
Just asking,
R Meyer

Durwood

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on August 17, 2017, 10:06:04 AM
That will be good. With the new stud spacing we can really go big. Is it the same as Jims and/or S&S spacing?
Just asking,
R Meyer
I haven't measured, but my guess is no.

Daren