May 08, 2024, 07:44:39 PM

News:

Small problem with an "O" ring seal

Started by Panzer, August 18, 2017, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

How do you keep the oil drain plug "O"ring from squishing out when you tighten the drain plug?
I've tried different size "O" rings to no avail........any suggestions?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

tmwmoose

When the hole is machined and threaded there's a small chamfer at the entrance for the o ring and after some time usually overtightening, the threads pull out a bit and you lose the chamfer. I stayed at a Holiday inn express last night :sheep:

Panzer

Quote from: tmwmoose on August 18, 2017, 08:13:10 PM
When the hole is machined and threaded there's a small chamfer at the entrance for the o ring and after some time usually overtightening, the threads pull out a bit and you lose the chamfer. I stayed at a Holiday inn express last night :sheep:

Treads are good, never over tightened.
It's just that the "O" ring wants to roll out when I go to tighten the plug.  :scratch:

We'll leave the light on for ya.  :
   :SM:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

tmwmoose

Well what ever the cause then, the fact is that you don't have a recess for the o ring to be captured in so now you have two flat surfaces meeting were is the o ring sits  your o ring has no choice but to be squeezed out

Panzer

FSG

Crankcase or Primary?

Your Primary uses Plug 60328-98B with O-Ring 11105, if there's no recess in the bottom of the primary for the o-ring then I'd either make one OR ditch the o-ring for a copper washer(s).

Panzer

Chaincase.............sorry.
Had "O" ring when the bike was new so it has to have a recess.
I've tried a couple of different ones.......nada.  :nix:

tmwmoose

August 20, 2017, 08:59:00 PM #7 Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:05:02 PM by tmwmoose
Try some auto parts joints or better yet McCaster Carr and find a hard nylon washer that fits snug as possible on the plug . If it was me I'd go see my machinist bud and see what he had in a large ass drill bit with a fairly steep angle and cut/refresh the relief turning the bit by hand .Be nice if one of those unibit drills had a size that fit good in the hole with the next step just right for a relief cut, just thinking :scratch:
Just remembered McCaster has washers that have o rings fixed in the id in different sizes HD use to use them on the first EVO wet clutch derby cover screws

cyclobutch

B
'88 XLH1200

Panzer