May 04, 2024, 07:01:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rev limit setting on cast 95" pistons

Started by mayor, November 10, 2008, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayor

I just switched my SE6200 module out for a SE adjustable in my 95" cast piston TW54 build.  The catalog is saying 6,200 is max for rpm's for cast pistons.  My new module has a 6,000 and a 6,500 setting.  I'm banging the heck out of the 6K, whose all running rev limiters with cast pistons at 6,500 and up?  I figured what's the big deal with the extra 300 rpm, right?   
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Killer

I don’t need any stinking rev-limiter, it slows me down…
Admit nothing, Deny everything, Demand proof, and Make counter-accusations!

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

V24me

November 11, 2008, 10:13:37 PM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:07:41 PM by V24me
I run a Crane ignition with 100 rpm increments and cast pistons and I would NOT adjust to over 6200.  I hit the limiter once in a while, but usually I am on the back side of the hp/torque curve. 
ALL THAT'S NECCESARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING!

Gulfstream

If it were me I'd stay with the 6200 RPM limiter. The TW54 cam ain't building power at this point and it gets expensive if that "big dog" pukes.

Faast Ed

The catalog is saying 6,200 is max for rpm's for cast pistons.

Ain't just your pistons affected by overly high rpm's. 
≡Faast Ed>

maineultraclassic

2005 Ultra Classic
95" Powered by Big Boyz,Woods,Doherty,TTS,Fatcat,Hillside TB

mayor

Quote from: Faast Ed on November 12, 2008, 03:21:39 AM

The catalog is saying 6,200 is max for rpm's for cast pistons.

Ain't just your pistons affected by overly high rpm's. 

that's what I'm thinking.  I think the argument that Harley uses is the stress created by the increased rpm's over 6,200.  The module I'm using goes from 6k to 6.5k, but the bike still feels like it's pulling at 6k.  The problem I have is it shuts off completely at 6, so I end up short shifting if I'm carrying on. It's kinda embarrassing when your racing someone and the bike hits the limit.  :embarrassed:  I'm not too concerned about setting the limit at 6.5, but I can see it being accidentaly taken to the limit occasionally.  I'm surprised that no one has stepped up to say they were a pioneer, and blazed into uncharted territory.   :teeth:

Don D

GoFast.....

Quote from: wannabmayor on November 10, 2008, 06:52:32 PM
I just switched my SE6200 module out for a SE adjustable in my 95" cast piston TW54 build.  The catalog is saying 6,200 is max for rpm's for cast pistons.  My new module has a 6,000 and a 6,500 setting.  I'm banging the heck out of the 6K, whose all running rev limiters with cast pistons at 6,500 and up?  I figured what's the big deal with the extra 300 rpm, right?   
If the power is all done at 6200 why go on. SHIFT
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Don D

Good point!
But really there can be other reasons why not to go higher as ED said. Balancers if you have them for 1. Really when speaking about pistons the crank rotating speed is not as critical as what is happening in the chamber. The cast piston is still a strong piece but if run at higher RPMS just needs to be clearanced slightly higher (in the range of manufacturers recommended tolerances), run with the proper mixture, not overheated and not detonated and all will be fine. The forged piston will just take more of the wrong operation before letting go. The  forged alloy is actually softer than the cast or Hyper alloys. Remember GM "High Impact" gear sets for drag racing? Softer not harder, same concept.

hotbo

i have hit 6500  more than i can count.i have screaming eagle hyp.cast flat tops.have well over 40,000 miles since the build as of date no problems. :wink:

this does not mean it is good on them,i just always play very hard and sometimes i miss a shift or stay in it to long and bang out,lol!!!! :beer:
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

PanHeadRed

>I just switched my SE6200 module out for a SE adjustable<

Sup?

mayor

November 12, 2008, 10:13:18 AM #13 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 12:21:56 PM by wannabmayor
Quote from: Deweysheads on November 12, 2008, 07:54:02 AM
A or B motor?

"A" (Dyna), so no balancers to worry about. 

Quote from: GoFast..... on November 12, 2008, 08:05:06 AM
If the power is all done at 6200 why go on. SHIFT

The bike revs fast, and I like to make sure I get it all in.   :teeth:  Besides, I could live with 6.2k, but that's not a choice I have.  I have 6k or 6.5K

RPH, I wanted more adjustability but didn't want to take the bike halfway apart everytime I wanted to play.  The Dyna chassis sucks when it comes to location of ignition module.   

HIPPO