May 08, 2024, 11:16:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Whats the max you want to see out of the reg before you cause damage?

Started by 1340evo, August 20, 2017, 03:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Hi All

I've just replaced the stator (Spyke) and the regulator (Transpo on the box.. but came with the Spyke?).. I have a digital meter strapped to the bike... anything over tickover and its showing 14.75 volts... does that sound okay? (did see a 26 for a second flash up but only once, maybe that was the meter?)... Not opened it up much but think 14.75 is a typical running charge...
At what point does damage to ignition etc start to happen?... As I do apper to have a fault?

Karl H.

I would say that "typical" is 14,2-14.4. According to the manual 15,00 is the max. specified voltage. So with 14,75 you should be o.k.. Short spikes are normal due to the specific function of the regulator.

Karl
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

rbabos

Quote from: 1340evo on August 21, 2017, 07:26:50 AM
okay.. thanks.. 15v max...  :up: :up:
15 won't be doing your battery any favors for life span. I think a realistic should be 14.5 max. 13.8-14.2 is generally the industry standard for charging systems.
Ron

1340evo

Tsani

I would use a second meter, preferably a calibrated one, to check the voltage before jumping the gun. Your meter could simply be reading a little high. As to what you can do about it, short of making sure all your connections and ground point are clean and tight, nothing. Unless you want to change the regulator.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

1340evo

its a new regulator ... are some better than others?.... pity you can't get adjustable ones... :)

Buffalo

I have found high readings on bikes with porrer ground connections. Make sure every ground  on the bike is mated to bare metal and that studs for wiring are clean and bright. 
Did you run the engiine for 10 minutes and watch the voltage. Some will spike higher to start and then drop some as the battery becomes charged and the system heats up. fwiw  Buffalo