May 01, 2024, 11:06:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

ULTIMA PROGRAMMABLE SINGLE FIRE IGNITION KIT FOR HARLEY DAVIDSON 70-03

Started by 1340evo, August 20, 2017, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Are they any good / reliable?... was thinking of using one on my Evo if they are... or are other types better??

or... what about going to points!.... getting fed up of the bike cuting out and playing up :)

thumper 823

Points and condenser will probably never leave you stranded.
Electronics sooner or later will.
Simple.
I am from the old days when points were in every car and bike o the road.
All that said - a newer form of ignition will give you lots of options.
I use Daytona Twinn Tech because I have dual plugs High compression.
The unit gives me lots of options.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

1340evo

agreed... Daytona... did I see somewhere Ultima and Daytona are the same?...
do you think Daytona is better?

points at £35 are attractive for sure :)

tmwmoose

I sold the Dyna systems at my shop for years always good service easier to time than the then popular Crane HI-4  systems in fact replaced a lot of HI 4 units back then. The Ultima is the  Dyna unit with a shorter warranty I think being there so much cheaper although the product is the same 

Mule

1340evo

got it... worth a try or not?... sort out the existing?... or go point?????.....  :chop:

Deye76

There's a lot of Dyna/Ultima ignitions out there. Heard about more Crane Hi-4 failures than those 2. I had 2 Hi-4's go south, switched to Dyna, no problems. currently using a Ultima (different bike), easy to set up, not enough miles to render a verdict on reliability.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Lakerat

My experience is the Ultima ignition has been working flawlessly on my '98 Ultra Classic for the 3 years since dumping the MM EFI. Very simple to install and set up. The coil that came with the complete kit?.....I would suggest buying the ignition and a quality coil separately. Mine took a "Potty mouth" after 16 miles. Others may have different results though.
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

1340evo

Not seen them sold without the coil... will have to take a look.. what coil did you get to work with it?

Lakerat

Quote from: 1340evo on August 21, 2017, 07:29:15 AM
Not seen them sold without the coil... will have to take a look.. what coil did you get to work with it?
Here ya go....https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XNF48YS/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3N9BYJMA5AQ3&colid=2HXA3H3OF79DE
I bought a Crane coil to replace the Ultima coil that went bad. Like I said, it may be the luck of the draw on those coils, my luck wasn't there. With the small price difference ($30), it may be worth buying the complete kit just to get the cup and other components.
PGR  92 FXLR 97 FLHTCU (RIP) 98 FLHTCUI 95th Anniversary Now Carbed

thumper 823

I was told by a knowledgeable person that ALL coils are made offshore.
Maybe there will be a turnaround with the "new thinking " in office.
i hope so.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Hybredhog

Quote from: thumper 823 on August 21, 2017, 10:46:18 AM
I was told by a knowledgeable person that ALL coils are made offshore.
Maybe there will be a turnaround with the "new thinking " in office.
i hope so.

Don't hold your breath, and do you want to ride your bike NOW? I've literally sold a hundred+ Ultima units, and maybe warrantied 2-3, so that's pretty good odds for not breaking.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Burnout

The chances of E/I failing are significantly less than the centrifugal advance failing.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

1340evo

thanks all.. maybe having a bit of luck with an old Dyna coil.... will see if it ever stop raining!....

May try one of these longer term still and get to single fire... may be help smooth things out a bit  :chop:

JamesButler

Quote from: 1340evo on August 20, 2017, 02:19:47 PM
Are they any good / reliable?... was thinking of using one on my Evo if they are... or are other types better??

or... what about going to points!.... getting fed up of the bike cuting out and playing up :)

For my FXR I like the Dynatek 2000P module.  Like the stock module, it fits behind the right side-cover.  Easy to install and easy to set up. Instructions page is easy to follow.  I prefer it over the Dynatek 2000i module which fits in the nosecone where there is more heat generated.  Both have the same bells and whistles. In addition, the Dynatek tech reps are very helpful and courteous. 

If you are thinking about using points, then Dynatek has a Dyna S module (springs and weights), which is a close version to the pre-Evo points module.

1340evo

Thanks James...thats good to know... I was thinking about the heat in the nose cone.. most electronic components are rated to 75-79 deg... but you don't want to be getting even close to this if you can help it.... dont think ill go points... but a unit that goes under the side cover... sounds good to me :)