April 30, 2024, 09:00:14 AM

News:

Buying a 1971 FLH, need your comments.

Started by 243ron, April 29, 2009, 06:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

243ron

I'm looking at buying a stock 1971 FLH with 27,000 miles. I overheard people say that 71 was a bad year. Any comments would sure help. Thanks, Ron.

randallwhitman

I've never heard that before, but most people these days only talk about their twinkies.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

76shuvlinoff

Dunno what makes 71 a "bad" year.  Just know you will have to do some wrenching and maybe some corrective wrenching depending on the skills of the previous owner(s).  Understand there is no dealer support and you need service and parts manuals. This place is an excellent source of info and there are other great websites too.
I have a new twinkie myself but I can't seem to fall in love with it, my shovel isn't going away. You have plenty of support, step into the light and relish your bleeding knuckles!
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

vern

there are no bad shovels, but some are owned by trouble heads! seems to me 71 was the last and first year for a few classic things like brakes and spark plug length.

flhswingarm

I been riding a '71 for 15 years.............took a lotta wrenchin.............but worth it

reg_beagle

Like the others say, whether it's good or "bad" (even a bad '71 FLH is still pretty good) is more than likely a function of how it's been treated and who's been turning the wrenches. If those are original miles and the engine hasn't been opened, then i'd say it's even better than good. Got pix?
Al

motorplex88

I bought a 71 FLH from a Shriner in 1979 down in Tulsa. I called it the "ice cream wagon" cause it had more lights, bells, and whistles than a circus dog could jump over. Off coarse being younger then I took all that stuff off and sold em. Rode the thing for 9 years and other than regular maintenance had to put a stator in it. Was a damned good bike. Shoulda kept it.

Jusbo48

One4Tone

..I would question the mileage, speedometer easy to change ... they had slower oil pumps and the oiling system was improved in 73..but you can upgrade yours..S&S is the way to go there..front brake was drum cable leaves a little to be desired but will give old style look... rear brake is hydraulic drum ....you may want to upgrade carburation..not sure if it was tiloteson or bendix..if it's original it may be worth resoring..if modified too much i'd be carefull...should be number matching frame and motor(very important)..if not walk away.(unless you plan to build a custom)....some insurance companies will not insure if over 25 or 30 years old..and if they do you may need appraisals every 3 years..I have a 72 FL that I own for  30 years..great memories, allways got me home, would I overpay for one today?..NO..but I would never sell it either....I would say number matching is key and the numbers have to be authentic..lots of "re-tooled #'s" out there..carefull..

Speeding Big Twin

I don't recall hearing about any Shovelhead year in particular being a bad one but I wonder if the negative comment about 1971 was because that wasn't long after AMF's acquisition of H-D in January 1969.

The scans below are from Classic Harley Big Twins by Field and Murphy and show what is apparently a 1971 FLH which Murphy says is totally stock. It isn't totally stock really, although it appears to be close.

As mentioned by One4Tone, check the frame and engine VINs. For a 1971 FLH the format should be: 2A +++++ H1. The Tillotson carb was used 1967--1970 and the Bendix carb was first used for 1971. The change to the longer-reach spark plug did not occur until the 1975 model.     Eric

ramcr913

Hey Ron
If the price is good and you have the cash, buy it. Ain't no such thing as a bad shovel.
Regarding those people you overheard saying '71 was a bad year-
Find them, see if any of them have a '71. Then buy it too.

Hillside Motorcycle

Nothin' wrong with that "year" shovel, or any other year for that matter.
Just have to sort through it and go.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

fatbob71

You can't go wrong with a shovel. I have a 71 FLH , it was my Grandfather's last bike I would go homeless before I would give it up. I totally restored this bike in 2000 , it has been to Sturgis twice and has not skipped a beat. If you do regular maintance to bike it will treat you right . If the price is right don't pass it up!

jerite

The only people I have ever heard talk smack about any shovels are those who have never owned one. Anyone I ever heard say they used to own a shovel always say they wished they still had it. Gotta enjoy the upkeepthough! Like a good women, some shovels can be high maintenance. But like a good women once you work out the bugs and hit all the right buttons there no ride like it!!!
Jer
Less is more....let's keep it simple!

BikerJim44

It's like the others said, no bad shovels, just some bad owners. I can't add much except doa through check of the bike and I mean inspect everything. Remove the seat and check the wiring to make sure it isn't hacked up, look around the engine and check for base gasket leaks as that will mean at least a top end refresh. Pull the plugs and see how they look and while you are at it get a flexi light andstick it in the plug hole and see what all you can in the can. If you have a boroscope or access to one that would be even better. If the plugs are all fouled out and you can see a lot of wet on top of the pistons then the heads need a good going over, new seats, seals, valves,etc. I wouldn't be shy about giving it a good going over and the other important question is does it run? If so then all that much better. At least you know you have something to work with. Good luck and show some pics. Spidey.
You can ride my hoss, Ride my woman but don't ever ride my bike.

Cousin It

Uh Oh... a 1971? Oh boy. Thats a bad year for an FLH. Its a shovel, and has a front end, and shocks and bags, and a fairing and all that extra stuff. Get rid of it. Send it to me ,Ive got 1 and there is room in the garage for another. LOL
Never heard of a bad year. Just bad so-called modifications.
Buy it and enjoy! And welcome to the club!!!!
Gene

243ron

Thanks for all the input. I DID buy it and am in the process of checking it out. The machine seems to be all stock, including the paint and the miles were noted on the title so I would guess they are right. I own a 76 FX so I fully understand the Shovel lifestyle: wrench and ride! This bike clunks hard going into gear where the FX shifts like butter, but I can live with that. Took the bike out today and it died going down the road, lost all electrical power. :wtf: I checked the basics, battery and cables, all good. About 10 minuites later everything came back and I rode it home. (about 4 miles) I think she may have a short and tripped the breaker cause I've never seen a older Harley circut breaker go bad, am I correct in assuming this? Anyhow, she's up on the lift now and I will pull the battery and dash in the morning and check for shorted wires. I will add pics of her this weekend. Never rode an older FLH with the buddy seat before, what a trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks again for all your help. :teeth:

76shuvlinoff

Make sure the breaker posts can't touch the frame, I had one come loose from the base once.
Make sure the coil cover isn't loose and touching the top post of the coil  yeah that happened, in the dark.
Sometimes the wires snap right at the dash switch.
There's a real nest of wires in the nacelle that might need looking over too.

....Then I had a faulty kill switch leave me sitting once. 

Get the wiring right and they are as reliable as anything else on the road.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

243ron

Trying to post a pic of her.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

FSG

flhswingarm

You done good.......... she's a beauty :smileo:

96flhpi

Yeah man, beautiful scoot.  Always loved that color on a vintage bike.

alstar2

1971 was a bad year, if you bought it in 1971.I bought a 1971 fx
new & it had lots of problems, but it was from a bunch of unhappy
employees dealing with AMF's new way to up production.those problems
are not in that one by now.it will be a good ride.
  Al

243ron

Found the short!(only took 7 hours) At some point in time someone must have dropped a washer and it ended up stuck between the coil cover and the coil post. Like you guys always say, the only problem with Shovels are the loose nuts(and washers) that worked on these bikes in the past. Rode the bike 100 miles today, motor is very strong and quiet. I'm a lucky man, my wife sees no harm in me owning 2 Shovels...................Thanks again for everyones input.

Ron

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

76shuvlinoff

Well you certainly don't want that pos, send it to me I'll take care of the shipping.....   :wink:

That's great. enjoy your "new" ride!  Your issue was a little different but when my coil cover did that to me it was a loooong time before I ever put it back on. Then I either wrapped the coil with electrical tape or stck a piece of electrical mastic pad inside the cover above the top post. I also stick the mastic pad inside the battery cover over the positive post.

- Ernest Hemingway