Any hints on changing a back tire on an 07'

Started by Panzer, September 04, 2017, 09:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

Still some meat on the shoe so it will be done after the riding season.
I changed the front tire, the HD service manual said to remove the caliper and remove the tire and rim.
On looking at the caliper I didn't see why I had to remove it, so I didn't.......I removed the frt. fender, axle, no problems encountered......easy.

So, with that in mind, any hints on removing the back tire and rim to mount a new tire?

TIA,
Panz
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

PC_Hater

My bike is a 2000, you have to move the rear caliper out of the way, even using the weight of the bike to squeeze the tyre through as I gently lowered the hydraulic ramp didn't work.

You have a wider tyre, a wider swing arm and a different caliper. It might all go really easily!
If not, you'll be removing that caliper.
For replacing the wheel you might need to remove the pads. Sometimes the disc and the pads won't play nicely, sometimes they do.
(and make sure you have a nice drift close to hand for tapping the axle out!)
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

packrat56

Quote from: PC_Hater on September 04, 2017, 10:20:35 AM
My bike is a 2000, you have to move the rear caliper out of the way, even using the weight of the bike to squeeze the tyre through as I gently lowered the hydraulic ramp didn't work.

You have a wider tyre, a wider swing arm and a different caliper. It might all go really easily!
If not, you'll be removing that caliper.
For replacing the wheel you might need to remove the pads. Sometimes the disc and the pads won't play nicely, sometimes they do.
(and make sure you have a nice drift close to hand for tapping the axle out!)

Fwiw ,,     I take a small piece of tubing about 6" long to hold the pads
apart when pull it out when it goes over the roter
Now I know, why some animals eat their young.

Breeze

I have an '07 Electra Glide. It's been a bit since I got new rubber, but I think the reason they say remove caliper is because it hits the tire if you try and drop it straight down. I lift the bike high enough to get the axle out and belt slipped partially off,  then tilt the wheel and jack higher. The wheel slips out at a good angle.  If, the caliper has to be taken off the mount, it's no big deal at that time.  I stick a spring type clothes pin between the pads to keep the pistons from pushing outward.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Panzer

Thanks guys, will remember when doing the job.
I'll refer back to this when the time comes.
Thx  :up:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

So when you removed the front tire, you found it easier to remove the fender rather than the caliper? What is different about the caliper on a Sportster that makes it so dificult?
Also, I'm not understanding how pulling the fender helps at all. Maybe a picture would help me, as I dont pay much attention to them, I have only worked on one before.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Panzer

Quote from: Hossamania on September 04, 2017, 07:14:23 PM
So when you removed the front tire, you found it easier to remove the fender rather than the caliper? What is different about the caliper on a Sportster that makes it so dificult?
Also, I'm not understanding how pulling the fender helps at all. Maybe a picture would help me, as I dont pay much attention to them, I have only worked on one before.

Just jack the bike up so the tire is 3" off the ground.
Remove fender, pull axle, roll out tire............simple.  :up:

Hoss, I could have said............"If I have to explain....... :argue: ........well, you know.

Hossamania

Why not jack it up six inches, leave the fender on, remove axle, roll tire out? Voila!
Maybe if I have to explain....
I doubt the dealer removes the fender for a tire change. What makes it so difficult to remove the caliper?
I change tires at least every other year, I see potential danger for scratching the fender on removal, and I would worry about the fasteners. Does the stock fender still have the bent tabs to lock the bolts in place from the factory? If so, do you put new ones on, or just locktite the bolts?
I am not trying to be a smartass, I am genuinely trying to grasp the advantage of removing the fender verses the caliper.

Panzer

Hoss, I give up............I give.
Ok, had I jacked it up 6" I guess I won't have had to remove the fender, I stand corrected.
Are you related to PoorUB by chance?
You both sound the same...........arguing.  :emoGroan:

BTW, no tabs & I laid the fender on a moving blanket.

Hossamania

My wife said I always disagree with her, I told her no I don't.

Thanks for the info on the locking tabs, I haven't disassembled a bike in quite a few years.
And I really was interested in how removing the fender was easier than pulling the caliper. I wasn't trying to be a dink. This time.    :hug:

Hossamania

Panz, what kind of jack are you using to lift the bike? I've used one of the Craftsman motorcycle lifts, put the bike up just enough to loosten the adjusters and remove the rear axle. I then slowly jack up the bike to get the tire loose, get the belt off, work it slowly out of the caliper. While doing this, I put my floor jack under the front tire to keep the bike from tipping on the lift as the weight of the rear tire leaves the bike. Keep lifting the bike until you can work the tire out relatively easily.
Now you can easily change brake pads if you want, clean the belt, etc. I spread the break pads either way so when the tire goes back on, it slips easier into the caliper.
Reinstall the tire and gently lower the bike back down to it, remember to install the belt.
I'm not sure how this will work with the Sporty, but that's how I've done it on the King.

Hossamania

And as far as removing the fender verses removing the caliper, the caliper is a rugged piece made to be removed and reinstalled many times. The fender not so much.
I came up with that wisdom tonight while I was out drunk riding.

harleytuner

I take remove the brake pads when changing the rear, makes working the caliper off a lot easier.  (You'll need a 1/4" 12 point socket).  The just spread the caliper pistons open to get it back together (don't forget to pump up the brakes when done).  All in all it's a simple job.