April 27, 2024, 04:14:34 PM

News:

New comp sprocket

Started by Snag, September 04, 2017, 06:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I have one that's worn , 117,000 miles on the bike and I don't think it's ever been replaced . Teeth are getting kinda pointy ... but I have a nearly-new one that I'd like to install . I'll be using my old spring and nut , the "new" spring is broken and the nut is wrong for my bike . My question is am I getting myself into a "replace the chain too" situation ? The clutch basket sprocket shows no visible wear so ... The thing is that old comp setup is getting clanky at low RPM's , and this old bike has enough weird noises to keep track of . It's up on the lift now for a trans repair (countershaft left side bearing and main and counter bearings on the right) and base gasket/tappet/etc replacement . No big rush to get it fixed , we got the wife a 2009 XL1200L that's been triked with a DNA axle ... less than 6,000 original miles ! It's fun , but it ain't two wheels ...
Snag
'90 FLHTCU "Strider"

thumper 823

Couple things -
DONT buy a CHINESE comp, sprocket or ANYTHING!
Or, you will get real gooder at doing it all again.
(This advice applies to all parts and everything and anything)
Next- install your sprocket and chain.
If you roll the chain around and keep measuring it, and find it is hard to adjust
because of one huge loose spot and one tight spot, replace it.
AT a 100K, personally, I would throw it in the scrap pile.
Next-
In my little world compensators suck.
I have gone through 3  in 3 years!
A new chain, sprocket, and comp is about the price of a belt kit.
Maybe more.
Last i knew a HD comp was 400 bucks.
Like I said ,the 200 dollar variety will make you way too familiar with the job.
I was going to just install a sprocket and skip the comp thing,
However, I have discovered there are many primary belts out there that go
40K miles and more.
Less weight for your crank to have to sling around is a good thing.
As soon as mine gets here it will be my new adventure.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Burnout

OP are you the Snag I know from the RMH Bar and Grill?

Is that you Terry?

RickB BS#(?)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Snag

BS 132 ... yup , that be me . Got the tranny pretty much torn down today (in the bike , thank you HogDoc) the whine in 1st-4th is not caused by the countershaft needle bearing as I thought ... The comp sprocket is only a small part of this job , got new tappets , base gaskets , cam check , and of course the trans . Going to go ahead and replace the 4th gear pair , they're a little chewed , and all the bearings except maybe the main drive gear/case bearing . Depends on if I can get the front pulley off ...
Snag
'90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Burnout

Make a socket for the pulley.

Get a cheap 6 point socket at Autozone.

Grind the face of it flat so it will get a nice grip on the thin nut.

Cut the socket in half and extend it with a piece of black iron pipe so it will reach over the mainshaft.

Burnout

I used a 1 7/8" impact socket, turns out they are probably easier to cut with a hack saw.

A piece of 2" ID black iron pipe to extend it.

To make it spiffy I'd turn down the OD of the top half of the socket so it fits inside the 2" pipe or buy a second socket that fits inside the 2" to drive it.

Snag

I made one years ago when I needed to swap the front sprocket on my shovel . I used a regular socket and galvanized pipe .
Snag
'90 FLHTCU "Strider"