May 09, 2024, 02:40:43 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

120R is it possible to fit in a 96 Road King chassis

Started by ReapersWG, September 09, 2017, 12:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReapersWG

Like the title says can you fit a 120r motor into a 96 frame? And will the tranny work? Thanks

koko3052

Just throwing it out there.... why not go with a 124" EVO? Or do you just happen to have the 120 sitting on a shelf? :fish:

rigidthumper

My buddy Aaron put an entire TC drive train (engine, tranny, oil tank, primary, etc) in an 1992 EVO FXR frame. You should be able to do the same thing with a bagger frame, they are very similar. You may/may not have to move the lower crossover support- he did, because of the jiffy stand & oil tank clearance.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

ReapersWG

Have a chance to pickup a totally rebuilt 120r flywheel done for a very reasonable price.

koko3052

So you get a flywheel cheap, do you have the cases & heads? Then you have to have the tranny or think about offsetting the motor because of the longer output shaft. You will have a lot of headaches just to save a few bucks on a crank. :emoGroan:

Burnout

A TC crank is it's weak point, I am of the opinion they are throwaway items. I have little confidence in a used crank.

At any rate a crank is a poor starting point for a swap into an EVO chassis.

You did not say which chassis you have so that is a major factor.

The best way to do a TC swap is a complete powertrain, mixing and matching will cause more pain than it is worth.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

I am not totally up to speed on the TC.
I have understood they quit using the Timken after 2002, BUT that  can be fixed.
Also- AFAIK the tapers have been deleted and the flywheels come out of phase, so welding them is the best choice.
Thats what I think i know.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

FSG

Quote from: ReapersWG on September 10, 2017, 07:56:09 AM
Have a chance to pickup a totally rebuilt 120r flywheel done for a very reasonable price.

Who did the rebuild?

Hossamania

Quote from: Burnout on September 10, 2017, 08:52:36 PM

You did not say which chassis you have so that is a major factor.

According to the title of the thread it is a '96 RoadKing touring chassis.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

turboprop

Quote from: ReapersWG on September 09, 2017, 12:48:36 PM
Like the title says can you fit a 120r motor into a 96 frame? And will the tranny work? Thanks

Yes, it is possible and your evo style trans case will work. To do this you will need three pieces from Vulcan;

-Trans to engine adapter plate
-Engine to inner primary case adapter plate
-Adapter sprocket.

These three pieces are available now. I know several people that have done this. The setup seems weak, but they have not broken anything and it seems to hold oil.

Good luck with your project.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Burnout

When I do a swap like this, especially to the extremes of 120", I make it a point to eliminate all the problem areas that have shown up with smaller motors. $400 worth of adapters will not eliminate this issue.

A TC power train securely attaches the trans directly to the motor, eliminating the problematic motor to inner primary connection issue. This will be pronounced with a high horsepower setup adding even more torque to rip apart the flimsy connection between the motor and trans.

The EVO Glide's, FXR's and Dyna's were all susceptible to ripping out the 4 pussy little 5/16" bolts that hold the motor to the inner primary and breaking the lip off the motor ruining the cases. The fix was to install a Carlini brace but that is a band aid. The TC firmly bolts the trans to the motor with 4 large bolts spread apart nicely and the inner primary is no longer subjected to the forces like on an EVO. I my eyes this is the biggest improvement (besides piston oilers) the TC has to offer. Too bad there are so many negatives that come with that innovation.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Deye76

Quote from: turboprop on September 11, 2017, 08:33:44 AM

Yes, it is possible and your evo style trans case will work. To do this you will need three pieces from Vulcan;

-Adapter sprocket.

These three pieces are available now. I know several people that have done this. The setup seems weak, but they have not broken anything and it seems to hold oil.

What about the oil pan (under the frame)? Will that be OK?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on September 12, 2017, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: turboprop on September 11, 2017, 08:33:44 AM

-Adapter sprocket.

What about the oil pan (under the frame)? Will that be OK?

Yes.  The Roadking in Evo format has a belly style oil pan.

Deye76

:up: Thanks Turboprop, I didn't know if there would be problems with the oil lines.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on September 13, 2017, 06:17:51 AM
:up: Thanks Turboprop, I didn't know if there would be problems with the oil lines.

Compared to an FL Evo drive train, the oil lines on an FL TC are pretty clean.

ReapersWG

If there are that many weak points why do so many swap in S&S motors especially 124s and Ultima 120s. Wouldn't you have just as many problems even with a 96 incher? The 120r was totally rebuilt the crank is new with a local machinists fix for any crank problems. He sets at zero run out balances and pins the crank. He doesn't weld And he does this work for like 500 bucks. He has yet had a crank fail with his method that was naturally aspirated. He said he had one twist but the motor was radical supercharged with nitrous making over 230 hp and 195 torque.

turboprop

Quote from: ReapersWG on September 16, 2017, 07:12:25 PM
If there are that many weak points why do so many swap in S&S motors especially 124s and Ultima 120s. Wouldn't you have just as many problems even with a 96 incher? The 120r was totally rebuilt the crank is new with a local machinists fix for any crank problems. He sets at zero run out balances and pins the crank. He doesn't weld And he does this work for like 500 bucks. He has yet had a crank fail with his method that was naturally aspirated. He said he had one twist but the motor was radical supercharged with nitrous making over 230 hp and 195 torque.

The weak spots aren't so weak when when swapping in an evo engine. The 120R is a TC. To use the '96 era transmission as called out by the OP requires a couple adapter plates. Those are the weak links. The evo five speed transmission with a splined main shaft and the later style clutch is pretty stout. Its the mating of a TC style engine mount to an Evo style transmission mount that is weak and regardless of a company making adapter plates, should not be done.

ReapersWG

Thanks for the clarification and I really appreciate all the honest replies and help. I think I'll hold off and go with my original plan of a S&S 124 when the time comes. Thanks again