April 30, 2024, 04:10:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 oil in air filter, and throttle body.

Started by Tynker, September 14, 2017, 04:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynker

I thought I had read that the M8 would not have that problem(oil in air filter) because of the new oil routing. My 17 Tri Glide has the same breather set up, as my 14 RK. I did run a new hose to ground today. The oil is kept about 1 third to 1 half qt. low, to keep it from happening. So whats up with this new  engine ??
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

r0de_runr

I've had more than one person tell me it's low rpm riding that causes the oil to accumulate in the air filter element.

The mist is not sucked into the engine at low rpm.  My buddy never rides below 2500 rpm and never has any oil in his air filter element.

I routed my to ground, and love lugging my motor.
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

Durwood

Quote from: Tynker on September 14, 2017, 04:37:48 PM
I thought I had read that the M8 would not have that problem(oil in air filter) because of the new oil routing. My 17 Tri Glide has the same breather set up, as my 14 RK. I did run a new hose to ground today. The oil is kept about 1 third to 1 half qt. low, to keep it from happening. So whats up with this new  engine ??
I said this when I first got my shop bike because after a couple of dyno sessions mine did not pass any oil, but I corrected that statement later in that thread as it began to get rid of some.

I also run my oil level about halfway down on the stick and it seems to help, mine is also vented to the ground.

les

About a month ago I rented an M8 Limited for a 4 day vacation ride.  The cam cover was soaked with oil coming out of the air filter.  It puked like heck.

twincamzz

I had the same problem last October , noticed it while doing the 5K service.

http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=94640.0

Now running oil level about 1/2 quart low and it seems to have improved the situation but not cured it completely. Don't want to run oil level any lower than that either. I purchased the 5 year Extended warranty so I am reluctant to re-route breather hoses to an external set-up. 14,500 miles now, will be doing the 15K service next week and will see what the air filter and intake looks like then.

Regardless, I'm with you Tynker. I know I read same thing as you...that the new , improved venting would prevent this. If I had upgraded from the stock air filter set-up to a more open type design then I could understand this happening, but I have NOT.

not all who wander are lost...

rbabos

Filter soaking is caused from two things or a combo of both. Breather valves not sealing 100% or more then normal blowby from poor ring seal. It's that simple. One other possible is poor scavenging.
Ron

hd06