April 30, 2024, 01:26:27 AM

News:

Trying to identify an unusual bolt

Started by hdrider47, September 24, 2017, 05:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdrider47

My 2017 Ultra Classic has had some recent work and some warranty work performed on it.  The work consisted of a Stage 3 kit and replacing a leaking  oil line assembly that goes over the top of the motor.  While cleaning the bike,  I found a loose bolt sitting in the plastic wire cover underneath the front of the motor that is just behind the oil cooler.  The bolt has a 1/2 inch hex head but also has a torx 40  combined in the same bolt head.  The bolt has about 1 inch long threads.  The dealer's service department is closed today and I am trying to find out where a bolt like this would go on the motorcycle.  It seems like an unusual head to the bolt with the hex head and torx combination.  Would like to make sure it is not a critical fastener.  Does anyone know where this bolt would come from on the motorcycle?

Paniolo

Sounds like one of the bolts used on the side of the gas tank, or rear tab of the gas tank. The ones that bolt the tank to the frame.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

hdrider47

Thanks Paniolo.  Those are the same bolts.  I checked and none of my tank bolts are missing.  Probably the mechanic dropped a bolt when reinstalling the fuel tank and it somehow lodged itself inside that plastic electrical connector cover.  When he couldn't find the dropped bolt he just put in another one to finish the work.  I am planning to call the mechanic tomorrow to find out if he remembers, but it has been a few weeks.  Again, I appreciate your suggestion, it was very helpful.

14Frisco

Check the Parts Catalog, e.g. https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/content/document/view?id=209788, where that bolt is used (Numerical Index at end of catalog).

If the bolt is a 3634 (SCREW 5/16-18 X 1.0 self-tapping) then it appears it is used, not only for the tank, but also for the ECM (x2) and battery (x6).

hdrider47

Quote from: 14Frisco on September 24, 2017, 04:58:28 PM
Check the Parts Catalog, e.g. https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/content/document/view?id=209788, where that bolt is used (Numerical Index at end of catalog).

If the bolt is a 3634 (SCREW 5/16-18 X 1.0 self-tapping) then it appears it is used, not only for the tank, but also for the ECM (x2) and battery (x6).

Excellent information. Thank you 14Frisco.  This link will be very useful.