May 04, 2024, 07:54:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bandit clutch on M8

Started by BigT, September 25, 2017, 05:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

Anyone install a Bandit clutch on their M8 yet? I pulled the Bandit clutch out of my 2012 before I traded it in and would like to install it in my M8 this winter when I do a 120" top end. I remember having to do some minor grinding on the 2012 primary cover to get it to clear and the new primary's are even thinner.

Ohio HD

I'd check with Bandit to see if it even fits. The 2017 bikes have all new clutch component part numbers. An older setup may fit, and the new part numbers are maybe just for the slipper clutch.

ready2ride

According to baker rep at sturgis the mainshaft stayed the same on cruise drive 6
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

ClutchDoctor

Hi, this is John at Bandit. Sorry for the late reply, we installed one in a 17 Road King a year ago, it fit and worked perfectly in the 17 clutch shell. If your 2012 had hydraulic clutch operation, you won't need to change anything.

The M8 clutch looks exactly like the earlier clutch, the part numbers are different because HD changed the clutch bearing again. The bearing width and ID are the same as 2010-2016, but the OD is smaller, and yes it's a non-standard bearing again. So the shell and bearing are different but the internal parts are all the same, except for heavier coil springs for the M8. The shell and bearing interchange with 2010-2016 parts if you keep the shell and bearing matched.

The late tourings have the slim primary covers, and that cover needs a few internal ribs just below the access derby cover opening sanded down about 1/16" to clear the movement of the pressure plate. Hope this helps.

BigT

Thanks for the reply John. Clutch is installed and operates flawlessly!

VDeuce

Got mine in too on a 2018 Touring, but the lever pull is brutal with the heavy springs and no shims. Much more difficult than with a cable on my '07 Street Glide using same springs and 3 shims!

I am likely going to convert to cable. I don't think levers are going to help me.

kd

John, Welcome to the HTT group. It's always great to have someone of your background checking in and helping out.

If you do a search on the site using "Bandit" you will find the community here (myself included) recommend your clutch's and components as the top tier offering. Go Bandit .... done.  :wink:  Mine does everything it should with 149 hp / 145 tq.

Thanks for the care and testing you put into your products.  :up: :up: :up:
KD

ClutchDoctor

Quote from: VDeuce on March 01, 2018, 12:11:34 PM
Got mine in too on a 2018 Touring, but the lever pull is brutal with the heavy springs and no shims. Much more difficult than with a cable on my '07 Street Glide using same springs and 3 shims!

I am likely going to convert to cable. I don't think levers are going to help me.

HD changed the ratio on the M8 hydraulics to lift the pressure plate farther, and that makes it pull harder. Not much to do about that except make a trans cover with a larger piston in it to change the ratio back. Engaging all the way out at the end of lever travel makes it seem even harder because you are compressing the springs farther when pulled in, and your hand is weaker when extended all the way. Adjustable levers can help. We made a shorter M/Cyl pushrod for one customer, shortening it .100" was just right to still get proper pressure plate travel and bring the lever closer to the grip, and the reduced lift worked fine for us.

Have you tried lighter springs? The clutch will hold a lot of power even with the lighter springs.

ClutchDoctor

Thanks for the greeting, I'll try to be more social on the media!