May 08, 2024, 03:18:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

I give the *%&$ up!

Started by 1993FLSTC, April 30, 2009, 03:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1993FLSTC

I have been having a squeaking noise on my bike around the belt area for about 300 miles now.  I was told to check the rear tire alignment and when I did I noticed that I needed a new tire.  Just replaced the tire Friday and rode that night.  For the first 30 miles it was quiet.  Then I noticed the aggravating noise again.  I checked the alignment once again and everything is square.  I rode it to Myrtle Beach yesterday and I know it was soo loud I could almost hear it over my bike.  When I pull in the clutch I can bend down and here it around where the belt enters into the Primary area.  I removed my belt guard, floorboard, and anything other that I thought might make a squeaking noise.  I dont know what else it could be, I just pretty much give up.  I have got the bike up on the floorjack now.  I dont think that it is coming from the Wheel Bearing, but I may be wrong.  The Bike is a 93 Heritage Nostalgia with 45,000 miles on it...PLease help out if you have any ideas...Myrtle Beach Bike Week is in a week and a half...Gotta get her goin

Buddy WMC

Have the bearings and seals ever been serviced?? They are supposed to be every 10K.

1993FLSTC

I havent done it...but the rear tire was just put on Friday and the Service guys said they looked fine.  IT sounds like the noise is coming from the bottom belt guard as far as I can tell...

Rick

Main Shaft Bearing ?
If the service guy could have seen that wheel bearing .. He certainly could have repacked them ..

Another thing to look at is the front sprocket and also the rear
Sometimes they wear down and sqeaul like a little piggie ....

Rick
A little twisted a bit rusty might slip once in a while
but still a wrench

1993FLSTC

IT was squealing when i got the tire put on....when i left there it wasnt...til about 30 miles later... :wtf:

paulkay

Not sure of change over, check front belt pulley. They came loose as the bearings on main shaft wore in, and inadequate lock down which changed in '94 I think.

wavlovr1

I went thru two rear pulleys and two belts trying to stop a squeek. Sometimes on decel, sometimes on accell, then all the time... I finally got a tube of that HD stuff to put on belts and it stopped the squeekin. later, I went to the newer more narrow pulley and belt and had no problems since. (this on a twin cam)

jb

Rusty Steel

As wavlovr says, belt dressing does work. I found that a thorough cleaning of the belt (especially on the sides of the belt) and pulleys works well.
Good luck.
If it ain't broke... Fix it until it is.

Dan89flstc

April 30, 2009, 06:04:29 PM #8 Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:06:51 PM by Dan89flstc
Paulkay has brought up an important point about the front pulley, there was a change in `94 that included upgraded pulley, nut, lock, and spacer.

The old pulley design was a little narrower, and had a poor anti- rotation lock for the pulley nut. It was simply a bolt that threaded into the pulley and it was supposed to stop the nut from turning. What actually happened was that the nut would start to back off and it would take the head right off the bolt. A loose pulley can cause a lot of damage.

The new design pulley is thicker at the center section and uses a hex lock plate that goes over the nut and is held on by 2 bolts. The pulley spacer is narrower to accommodate the change in pulley width.

Although I doubt your squeaking problem is a loose pulley, you might want to think about checking it out soon, unless of course you have already changed out the old style pulley…

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

harleytoprock

I have carefully applied silicone (even Armoral) on the edges of the belt and this stopped the noise. They don't recommend putting the stuff on the teeth of the belt as it can attrack dirt and grit which will make the belt wear out.

1993FLSTC

I really appreciate all the advice...I just got back in from workin on it...I cleaned everything up real good around the bottom belt guard.  I had a primary leak that caused alot of "gunk" to biuld up around the bottom belt guard.  I cleaned all that good, then i took some dry soap and rubbed on the belt.  I rode the bike around 3 miles and no noise.  Had to get off because of the damn bugs in South Carolina...Hopefully this will fix the problem...by the way in case anyone has heard otherwise.  MYRTLE BEACH BIKE WEEK IS ON!!!!   The surrounding areas of Myrtle Beach are accepting bikers with open arms. Not too much goes on in the city anyway.  So bring all your buddies so we can have a good turnout and keep this tradition alive!  May 8--17.  Check out the Website  http://www.myrtlebeachbikeweek.com/ 

Once again I really appreciate all of your help and hopefully this will solve my problem...

Rubber Down, SHiny Up......

96dynabagger

Quote from: Buddy WMC on April 30, 2009, 04:17:48 PM
Have the bearings and seals ever been serviced?? They are supposed to be every 10K.

IF you didn't get charged for seals, he lied to you.  Can't see the bearing rollers without pulling the seals...
Can't see through the grease without wiping them off, then you're kinda committed to repacking, which he didn't.

I wouldn't cross bearings off the list just yet. 

Buddy WMC

Quote from: 96dynabagger on May 01, 2009, 08:45:53 AM
Quote from: Buddy WMC on April 30, 2009, 04:17:48 PM

IF you didn't get charged for seals, he lied to you.  Can't see the bearing rollers without pulling the seals...
Can't see through the grease without wiping them off, then you're kinda committed to repacking, which he didn't.

I wouldn't cross bearings off the list just yet. 

This needs to be done both front and rear ASAP. I can't believe you went over 45K without servicing the bearings and seals. It needs to be done weather it solves your problem or not. You would not believe the number of axles I have had to beat out due to no grease being applied. While we are at maintenance, was the fork oil ever changed????

Dallasn

Quote from: 1993FLSTC on April 30, 2009, 03:54:55 PM
I have been having a squeaking noise on my bike around the belt area for about 300 miles now.  I was told to check the rear tire alignment and when I did I noticed that I needed a new tire.  Just replaced the tire Friday and rode that night.  For the first 30 miles it was quiet.  Then I noticed the aggravating noise again.  I checked the alignment once again and everything is square.  I rode it to Myrtle Beach yesterday and I know it was soo loud I could almost hear it over my bike.  When I pull in the clutch I can bend down and here it around where the belt enters into the Primary area.  I removed my belt guard, floorboard, and anything other that I thought might make a squeaking noise.  I dont know what else it could be, I just pretty much give up.  I have got the bike up on the floorjack now.  I dont think that it is coming from the Wheel Bearing, but I may be wrong.  The Bike is a 93 Heritage Nostalgia with 45,000 miles on it...PLease help out if you have any ideas...Myrtle Beach Bike Week is in a week and a half...Gotta get her goin

Are you hearing the noise when the bike is standing still, or, only when moving?  This always helps to determin whether the noise is do to vibration or something elso (like the wheel bearing)  I think you said it was coming from the rear, is that correct?  This would eliminate the floor board or anything else that could be vibrating up front.  When you pull the clutch in does the noise continue?  Is it loader/softer?  When you had the tire replaced was it done by a dealer?   I might be able to help but it would be easier if you email me directly.

1993FLSTC

Yea...the fork seals have been changed...I have only had the bike for about a year so I'm not sure if the bearings have been replaced.  I am putting myself through college so I dont really have the money to just replace stuff until it gives me trouble.  I have to replace one of the fork seals now, and Im gonna do that as soon as I come up with the funds....After i work this summer i plan to go over the bike completely and probably go over it and check and replace anything that I find may need some attention...But thanks for all of your thoughts...

93evorider

Have the same bike as you- with the service manuals and  a little mechanical ability you should be able to almost every thing you need to do on your bike except for the machine work-as far as the front fork seals go should only run you about $70 for seals and the bushings -did it last winter myself it is really kinda easy i also agree you sjould check your tranny pulley and make sure it is not starting to lossen and strip out dont ask how i know:(

Buddy WMC

Mine's also a 93, but an FXLR. As evorider93 points out the best $$$ you can spend when bucks are tight is for the service manual. Purchased both the service and parts manuals from Zanotti's for about $80.00. Both of those books have become indispensable during my rebuild and upgrades. Checking for that pulley upgrade is also very important. If you find that to be the problem PM me, I might have a new style pulley and correct mainseal laying around as I now use a Baker. I do not have a spare locking washer and the 1/4" lock bolts tho.

Rick

Quote from: Rick on April 30, 2009, 04:29:37 PM
Main Shaft Bearing ?
If the service guy could have seen that wheel bearing .. He certainly could have repacked them ..

Another thing to look at is the front sprocket and also the rear
Sometimes they wear down and sqeaul like a little piggie ....

Rick

:duel:
A little twisted a bit rusty might slip once in a while
but still a wrench

1993FLSTC

Okay...I'm gonna pick up those manuals soon.  We have bike week in a couple weeks here so I'm gonna ride it then I'll go through it with a fine tuned comb.  93evorider what color is your bike?  My bike is Ultra Blue Metallic and Pearl White.  I have only seen 2 like mine.  I'd like to know how many were made and just wondering what color yours is. 

riden2low

93 fatboy here and when I had to replace my trans seal. I put on a Baker main drive sprocket and used Jims's lock nut. The Baker, I have had to use a newer model seal but it worked. You would be surprised how pitted the old sprocket gets.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

93evorider

mine is a vivid black and scarlet red job  done see many like this one either ---dont know how many of each color combo were made but you should post a pic sounds like a nice combo

1993FLSTC

how do you post a pic on this thing?

jclark311

I wish I would have read this post sooner, I have a 94 Nostalgia, and I thought for sure that squeak was coming from the rear, but it wasnt. IT WAS THE FRONT SPEEDO CABLE RUBBING INSIDE THAT BRACKET ON THE FRONT FENDER. Bend that bracket, and I would bet you are good to go. I put a little grease on mine to.