April 30, 2024, 09:22:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Difference in power between M8 twin cooled and oil cooled engines?

Started by flh canuck, September 30, 2017, 02:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flh canuck

Just purchased a 2018 Ultra Limited with the twin cooled engine. My buddy has a 2017 Road King with the oil cooled engine.

Anyone know if there is any difference in power output between the two M8 motors or other differences ie compression and / or cams? Just curious as I believe the twin cooled twin cam motors had different specs  over non-twin cooled but cant find anything out anywhere. (I am not exactly a computer wizard so that could be why....) Any information would be appreciated.

So far I am loving the power of the new Ultra over my old twin cam Road King. It runs so well right out of the box that I may even leave this one stock.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

hogpipes1

17 RK RUNNING WT.826 LB   YOUR 18  CVO 944 LB.  might cost you a beer on  a 65-85  roll on .   I'd  google up Eng spec's and see what comes up. Nothing as you know in the model  sales book. Did read some article the  T-Cool had a few more ponies. 

Hossamania

I thought the twin cooled had a small bump in compression, but that may have been my imagination.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rigidthumper

Twin cooled (FLHTK) is rated at 114 TQ vs 111 for the oil cooled (FLHR), SAE J1349 testing method.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Hossamania

Quote from: hogpipes1 on September 30, 2017, 07:52:42 PM
17 RK RUNNING WT.826 LB   YOUR 18  CVO 944 LB.  might cost you a beer on  a 65-85  roll on .   I'd  google up Eng spec's and see what comes up. Nothing as you know in the model  sales book. Did read some article the  T-Cool had a few more ponies.

They just keep getting heavier and heavier, don't they? My '01 RK was about 750 pounds, so it has gained almost 75 pounds? That is ridiculous. My Limited is 901 pounds, and the CVO is over 40 pounds heavier?
How the hell are we supposed to keep riding these things if they just keep ballooning up in weight?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Reddog74usa

:agree: which is why I see a trend with the older riders going to the lighter bikes. Having one of those big rigs on their side is like having a big o'l heffer laying down on ya  :hyst:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on September 30, 2017, 09:07:45 PM
I thought the twin cooled had a small bump in compression, but that may have been my imagination.

If I remember correctly (no guarantee on my memory)...

In the '14, '15, & '16 twin cooled v air cooled twin cam engines, the twin cooled were like 10.1:1 compression and the air cooled were like 9.7:1...

With the twin cooled v oil cooled M8 engines, I believe both are at 10.0:1 compression.... but the twin cooled has about  3 ft lbs more torque ..........

SLAATY

Quote from: Hossamania on October 01, 2017, 07:03:37 AM
They just keep getting heavier and heavier, don't they? My '01 RK was about 750 pounds, so it has gained almost 75 pounds? That is ridiculous. My Limited is 901 pounds, and the CVO is over 40 pounds heavier?How the hell are we supposed to keep riding these things if they just keep ballooning up in weight?

I'm guessing a new frame in '09 along with cat converters and unit construction powertrains, in addition to larger fuel tanks and the weight of these infotainment systems we seem to have to have (ugh)... It's the little things that add up. I've gone back to a King to shed some pounds, and if I could afford to I'd take a serious gander at the new Heritage.

Tollbooth

Quote from: Hossamania on October 01, 2017, 07:03:37 AM
They just keep getting heavier and heavier, don't they? My '01 RK was about 750 pounds, so it has gained almost 75 pounds? That is ridiculous. My Limited is 901 pounds, and the CVO is over 40 pounds heavier?
How the hell are we supposed to keep riding these things if they just keep ballooning up in weight?

Very true Hoss. Not only heavier but HD should give a step ladder with a bike purchase. I'm 5-8 and never flat footed on stock Ultra. Tooo heavy, tooo tall. What do those people do in other country's where they are shorter than us. My guess is HD don't care, if so when the new frame was designed, it would have been considered.