April 27, 2024, 11:58:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Removing cat

Started by 05cvoeg, October 01, 2017, 09:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

05cvoeg

Anyone removing the cat instead of buying new head pipes? Wondering how preformance is

KingofCubes

Here's one with the Drago muffler

joe_lyons

I'm wondering the best/easiest way to remove the cat on these newer headpipes.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

PoorUB

Quote from: joe_lyons on October 03, 2017, 08:43:56 PM
I'm wondering the best/easiest way to remove the cat on these newer headpipes.

Is there an easy way? :banghead:

I would imagine the procedure for the '17 pipe would be the same as the '16 and earlier pipe. I cut out the cat on my '16 and it was a pain. I put a couple scribe marks across the pipe to get it clocked right and sawed it in half, and chiseled, drilled and tore the cat out, then cleaned it up with a die grinder and MIG welded it back together.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SLAATY

It's fairly simple. Pull muff's, and the right side pipe is big enough to do the excavating. A shop vac will clean out most of it, but the real fun is firing it up prior to reinstalling the mufflers.

Wish I could've left them off because the sound was bee-yootiful! Potato potato potato...

Oh, one more thing; be sure and fire it up outside, as there's gonna be dust spewed.

PoorUB

Have you actually done it that way? I cut mine apart and it still was a hassle, plus to get it really cleaned out it took a lot of work with a die grinder.
After what I went through with the pipe cut a part I find it hard to believe someone can even do a half a$$ job tearing the cat out through the pipe. Plus I was concerned about all the pieces floating around in the pipe that could possibly get sucked back up the pile into the engine.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SLAATY

Yes. Used a spade bit in the drill and a wire brush on an extension. Used a gasket scraper - an old 1" - that I heated and bent to help clear out the rest. Haven't had any problems, and it's been at least a couple thousand miles now. Patience and a flashlight...

flh canuck

If I remove the cat on my bike, it will be more for getting rid of the heat it generates but am curious as to whether it changes the exhaust sound level ?
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

SLAATY

I'm using Street Cannons because they tune so well, and didn't notice much change. A bit louder perhaps, but not enough to make a real difference.