May 04, 2024, 01:02:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

95" Build Piston Options for 10.5 Comp. W/80cc Heads?

Started by Velocity1, November 10, 2008, 09:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velocity1

I'm looking for a forged piston that will work with HQ 033G cams, .030-.040 Cometic and 80cc heads and yield a static 10.5-10.75.1 compression ratio.  I might even be willing to go 11.0:1 if I can get some positive re-enforcement that pinging won't be a problem with this cam.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.  I have everything I need for the new build but the pistons.

Thanks,  V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

GoFast.....

Quote from: Velocity1 on November 10, 2008, 09:00:39 PM

I'm looking for a forged piston that will work with HQ 033G cams, .030-.040 Cometic and 80cc heads and yield a static 10.5-10.75.1 compression ratio.  I might even be willing to go 11.0:1 if I can get some positive re-enforcement that pinging won't be a problem with this cam.

Any ideas / suggestions welcome.  I have everything I need for the new build but the pistons.

Thanks,  V1
I have a great Idea :idea:. I can have CP Pistons make you a custom set to the specs you need, I would call HQ and ask them for the perfect compression for that cam
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Gulfstream

SE Forged will get you pretty close to that window, 10.9:1 and around 203ccp...doable I think, with a good tune.

Velocity1

Gulfstream,

HQ has already told me the 33's like 10-11 comp.  I mix my own fuel and a good tune is about 3 clicks from where I am, (2nd only to my "SOP" dyno), LOL.  Which SE piston are you referring to, compression and PN? I have the supplement here and pistons are the last item on my shopping list.  Do you know how deep the valve reliefs are?  The 33's are .600 intake and .530 on the exhaust?

Thanks, V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

dakota224

GoFast.....

November 11, 2008, 09:52:56 AM #5 Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 10:16:46 AM by GoFast.....
Quote from: dakota224 on November 11, 2008, 08:47:45 AM
22868-00  SE 95" forged pistons.
Mixing fuel to not get it to ping is to over the edge for most people. 
If you have ever been on the streets of Sturgis with 100+ temp and your bike will not hardly turn over and the Misses is :angry:
You get that sinking feeling all over you. :sink:

Mike52

Quote from: GoFast..... on November 11, 2008, 09:52:56 AM
Quote from: dakota224 on November 11, 2008, 08:47:45 AM
22868-00  SE 95" forged pistons.
Mixing fuel to not get it to ping is to over the edge for most people. :sink:

Plus you can't ride too far from home............... :wink:
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

Gulfstream

Quote from: Velocity1 on November 11, 2008, 03:59:59 AM
Gulfstream,

HQ has already told me the 33's like 10-11 comp.  I mix my own fuel and a good tune is about 3 clicks from where I am, (2nd only to my "SOP" dyno), LOL.  Which SE piston are you referring to, compression and PN? I have the supplement here and pistons are the last item on my shopping list.  Do you know how deep the valve reliefs are?  The 33's are .600 intake and .530 on the exhaust?

Thanks, V1

The P/N that Dakota mentions above is correct, and they're available in a couple of O/S's too. There has been some controversy as to the actual dome size of the SE forged, I have sent mine to another HTT member to have them professionally measured and to put the topic to rest so I don't have them in front of me to measure the valve relief depth...but they looked to be fairly deep and they're cut for larger than stock valves. I had figured the above comp ratio with the domes being 8cc's and a .030" gasket so that figure may change once I get the actual dome size from the measurement...that should be any day now.

Velocity1

Mike52 / Dakota, Looks like the 22869-00 are the +.005 over I need to hone my jugs to size for the new slugs.

Go Fast, Mixing fuel isn't that much of a problem as I've only ridden 4,500 miles on the current build in the last 2 1/2 years.  It is a luxury to have performance with this kind of pop on pump gas if you can tune for today's E-gas.  

I'm pretty sure CP, (based on my discussions with them), that custom pistons will tend to be a bit pricey. They do make a nice piston though and if reasonably priced, I'd gladly jump at a chance to get the optimum compression piston.  If you have an in, or suggestions based on what HQ advises. I'd appreciate your help.

Gulfstream, I'd love to have the actual dome cc's and valve relief dimensions when you get them. These SE piston kits, for the money can't be beat, especially with 25% off list.

I did talk to JE and they offer a 12cc dome 10.25 piston kit.  Pistons have .190 intake and .162 exhaust valve reliefs.  Price quote I got was $224.64 for the kit, (rings, locks, and pins).  Anybody got experience with them?

05FLHTC Glad to hear positive things about the 33's.

Bear with me.  Just want to make the best informed choice.

I appreciate any and all further advice and suggestions.

Thanks

'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

GoFast.....

Quote from: Velocity1 on November 11, 2008, 05:07:38 PM

Mike52 / Dakota, Looks like the 22869-00 are the +.005 over I need to hone my jugs to size for the new slugs.

Go Fast, Mixing fuel isn't that much of a problem as I've only ridden 4,500 miles on the current build in the last 2 1/2 years.  It is a luxury to have performance with this kind of pop on pump gas if you can tune for today's E-gas.  

I'm pretty sure CP, (based on my discussions with them), that custom pistons will tend to be a bit pricey. They do make a nice piston though and if reasonably priced, I'd gladly jump at a chance to get the optimum compression piston.  If you have an in, or suggestions based on what HQ advises. I'd appreciate your help.

Gulfstream, I'd love to have the actual dome cc's and valve relief dimensions when you get them. These SE piston kits, for the money can't be beat, especially with 25% off list.

I did talk to JE and they offer a 12cc dome 10.25 piston kit.  Pistons have .190 intake and .162 exhaust valve reliefs.  Price quote I got was $224.64 for the kit, (rings, locks, and pins).  Anybody got experience with them?

05FLHTC Glad to hear positive things about the 33's.

Bear with me.  Just want to make the best informed choice.

I appreciate any and all further advice and suggestions.

Thanks

The custom piston is not that much more. I have a account with them and I can check on a pair for you if you want. what is this going in a 95 or 103

Velocity1

GoFast,

It's a standard bore 95" with approx. 4,500 miles on it.  I'm thinking I should go with +.005 - +.010 O/S for bore cleanup and proper piston clearance.

Thanks,  V1

'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

jsachs1

Velocity,
My favorite 95" piston.
Valve pockets are plenty deep,but as always double check,as what I get for volume has been disputed.
John

Velocity1

November 12, 2008, 09:15:23 PM #12 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 11:07:25 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Not to persist, but I want to keep this one on the radar as I have a critical build decision to make based on some requested feedback.  I like the idea of the aftermarket lighter than stock SE pistons and the faster rev. potential.

After talking to a few reputable local Indys, With the right pistons, I'm willing to tune around 11:1 if I have, to, to enable me to run pump gas if necessary.  Like I've said though, this build will Barhop, mainly, and rarely, if ever, run the tank empty on an outing.  (Fuel / octane won't likely be an issue.)  3.60:1 final gearing makes this bike a street burner, stop light to stop light.

It's been a blast to ride with the 37's and 9.7 - 9.8:1 comp.  Can't wait to start the HQ 33G build.  Just looking for a bolt in piston if it's available.

Anybody used JE Pistons?  They offer a 10.25 with a +12cc dome.  According to their tech, with my 80cc heads, .040 Cometic and the HQ stick, my static is 11.03:1.  Sounds realistic.

Don't mean to be a pain but I'm looking for an early "Christmas" for me and something to keep my mind off of my recovery time after my surgery. 

Thanks again in advance guys.  I await your thoughts and replies.

V1
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...

PanHeadRed

>Anybody used JE Pistons?  They offer a 10.25<

Yes several times, no complaints.