May 03, 2024, 11:12:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Flat rate for cam install

Started by Prostock, October 20, 2017, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prostock

Have my first M8 cam install next week.  Anyone know what our competitors "Harley" is charging :SM:

tomcat64

Prostock

Cold called to 3 different dealers here in Arizona.   1- 12hrs @ $129.00 an hour.  2-5hrs@ $125.00 an hour.  3-8.5hrs @ $100.00 an hour. 

PoorUB

Quote from: Prostock on October 20, 2017, 04:31:40 PM
Cold called to 3 different dealers here in Arizona.   1- 12hrs @ $129.00 an hour.  2-5hrs@ $125.00 an hour.  3-8.5hrs @ $100.00 an hour.

12 hours?  :hyst: :banghead: I did a "cut the push rods" cam change on a twin cam in about 5 hours and wasn't even trying!

Only one cam in a M8, should be able to do it in 1/2 the time! :potstir:

But seriously, is there any reason a M8 should take longer than a TC? I would think a bit less time as you don't have the inner tensioner and second cam and chain to install and time. :scratch:

Pulling the valve covers on a wet head or oil head would add some time so it would depend on the model.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Thermodyne

Based on the newest labor guide I have (2010) cams are a 4 hour job.

On a twin cam, the book pays 4 hours, including new cam bearings in the case.   So a M8 should be less.  Basically the same job, less one cam and bearing, plus  a little extra plumbing. 

And the Tune from a Harley dealer is a flash.  So an hour for that, max. 

The dealer is probably stacking.  Adding time to remove the exhaust and tank etc.  That work is already included in the 4 hour charge.  And 8 hours is just stupid.  Replacing the cases on a twin cam pays 8 hours.  That's out of the frame, torn down completely and back together, running.

HD/Wrench

top end installs are longer that is for sure I have done 16 114 kits now and it still take more time . Just not as easy as the TC was rocker box and all. Intake is a mother to get in and out . They need to machine the heads further back it very tight and can be a PIA to get in out or in. Oil lines etc  cam install though 4-5 hours would be the norm but then again what ex is on the bike etc

Prostock

I am at 6 for cam including full exhaust removal.  Thinking 12 for cam and big bore :nix:

HD/Wrench

I think that the 12-14 range for the top is is about right . I just completed a 114 kit today it took me from 12.9 hours ( used a time clock to keep accurate time) that included adding the new clutch springs swapping over the valve springs as well. That freaking intake drove me nuts I install it before rocker boxes as well and its still a mother to fit . I know I keep complaining about it HA HA

hdbikedoc

Not to hijack the thread but I install intake manifold when I install heads  once front head installed I bolted the manifold to the front head then install rear head worked slick for me
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

carlos3621

November 07, 2017, 06:18:42 AM #11 Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:29:54 PM by FSG
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on October 26, 2017, 09:44:58 AM
top end installs are longer that is for sure I have done 16 114 kits now and it still take more time . Just not as easy as the TC was rocker box and all. Intake is a mother to get in and out . They need to machine the heads further back it very tight and can be a PIA to get in out or in. Oil lines etc  cam install though 4-5 hours would be the norm but then again what ex is on the bike etc

FYI, there is an alignment tool available to make your life easier:

https://goo.gl/KTrXvV

bensfatboy

1 to 12hours?  3 to 8 hours?  WTF ever.   They have a book with hours involved.  A 11 hour window quote is a bunch of BS.  The Stealerships are raping the consumer.  Will come back to haunt them one of these days.

1Techno

I think he meant Dealer #1  Dealer #2 and Dealer #3   Not 1 to 12 hours..

sfmichael

Quote from: hdbikedoc on November 04, 2017, 06:16:04 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I install intake manifold when I install heads  once front head installed I bolted the manifold to the front head then install rear head worked slick for me

:idea:  great info  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.