April 28, 2024, 11:33:33 AM

News:

18 Softail - oil pump confusion

Started by rich1, October 28, 2017, 12:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich1

Bought an 18 Softail with the 114 engine. It was the first 18 off the truck at my dealers. At the same time bought the 18 service manual which they already had in stock. Before I bought the bike I had the parts manager look up the part number for the oil pump. The only oil pump listed for the 18's is 62400178. Here is where the confusion comes in. Just happened to be looking at the service manual and noticed there is a picture of a new version and old version oil pump. My first thought was they must have copied parts of the dresser service manual since there were different oil pump designs in the 17 dressers. But I am not sure. It doesn't seem logical that with me buying one of the very first 18's built there would already be a new and old versions. So, can anyone shed any light on this? Service manual wrong? I called HD customer service and got no clarification. Thanks for your help.

rigidthumper

Quick glance at the parts manuals show 62400178 applies to all air cooled M8s, touring and softail. 62400182 is for the twin cooled models.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

rich1

True. But since there are no twin cooled Softails the 178 number is the only one listed. Yet the service manual shows a new and old version. Just  pictures. No part numbers.  Don't see how that can be considering mine was one of the first built. Guessing its an error in the service manual. Hopefully someone knows.

Thermodyne

Prolly just repurposed an existing drawing.  Those books went to press prolly a year ago. 

This is from the html version that dealers used to pre stock parts for the 18 Softies.  But I'm not sure what pump that actually is, as they have made some changes since August.

29   62400126   GEROTOR ASSEMBLY, feed (AIR-COOLED)   ALL
30   62400143   OIL PUMP ASSEMBLY, with 601, 8873, 26210-99, 26400-82B, 62400052 and body (AIR-COOLED) Also order 62400126   ALL

rich1

Hoping its just a service manual error. Their service manuals are notorious for bad info.

rbabos

Quote from: rich1 on October 28, 2017, 08:36:20 AM
Hoping its just a service manual error. Their service manuals are notorious for bad info.
Ya think?
Ron

N-gin

Dont know if this applies but I've been hearing that the dealers around here are replacing oil pumps left and right on the M8..
Revised part or something?  :scratch:
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Thermodyne

62400178 is the number they are using at the moment for oem motors. 

But as I understand it, there is another pump in the CVO motor, and it has been superseded too.  Prolly just a pressure spring change from oem production to cvo. 

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: N-gin on October 28, 2017, 01:38:11 PM
Dont know if this applies but I've been hearing that the dealers around here are replacing oil pumps left and right on the M8..
Revised part or something?  :scratch:

There was an issue with the incorrect pump being installed in the Water Cooled Models and Dealers were instructed to replace the ones within a specific VIN Sequence. A Later Bulletin updated the Part# and a new drawing showing the issue and the correct Pump.
Tom

moose

I'm sure FSG will have that up real soon
Moose aka Glenn-