April 30, 2024, 10:07:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Just an observation - Automatic Chain Tensioners

Started by Pirsch Fire Wagon, November 09, 2017, 04:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I've just now begun seeing the 2017 MY 107's for Maintenance.

To our Dealers Credit, he gives the first three Maintenance (5, 10, 15) with the purchase of any Motorcycle. Of course when Riders get the price for the 20k and beyond, they show up at my Door.

I've done six 20k Maintenance Schedules this week. EVERY ONE had a concern with noise in the lower end or a noise that was present at start up that went away,

And, EVERYONE had an Automatic Chain Tensioner that did not adjust. One, never moved from its installed position - "0", and the Chain was actually slapping the Top of the Case. Adjusting them all resolved the problem. And, I notice some have White Shoes and Some have Black Shoes. 

We've all seen some issue here and there where the ACT has caused noise. But, all 6? All on the 107?

I usually charge an Hour for Diagnosis. But, since this is such a predictable issue, I've not been charging it on the 107's.

Anyone else seeing this? Or, is it just me?
Tom

rbabos

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on November 09, 2017, 04:50:04 AM

To our Dealers Credit, he gives the first three Maintenance (5, 10, 15) with the purchase of any Motorcycle. Of course when Riders get the price for the 20k and beyond, they show up at my Door.

I've done six 20k Maintenance Schedules this week. EVERY ONE had a concern with noise in the lower end or a noise that was present at start up that went away,

And, EVERYONE had an Automatic Chain Tensioner that did not adjust. One, never moved from its installed position - "0", and the Chain was actually slapping the Top of the Case. Adjusting them all resolved the problem. And, I notice some have White Shoes and Some have Black Shoes. 

We've all seen some issue here and there where the ACT has caused noise. But, all 6? All on the 107?

I usually charge an Hour for Diagnosis. But, since this is such a predictable issue, I've not been charging it on the 107's.

Anyone else seeing this? Or, is it just me?
Old news actually. The compression spring on the tensioner has always been on the weak side to follow adjustment. Most common for riders that baby the bikes. On a hot bike, hard decel in first with quick acel a few times will move the tensioner along. Never do this on a cold bike with sloppy chain. I might overshoot correct tension. Works like this. The hard decel fully compresses the shoe and the rapid throttle acel unloads the shoe pressure so it can bounce slightly upward, reducing the drag in the ratchet so the wimpy spring can move the block forward to the next click. It's a throttle twist  timing thing but most times it adjusts ,saving pulling the outer to manually move it.
Ron

Hossamania

Another reason not to baby and lug a motor.
My tensioner should be set right on if ripping up and down in gear is what it takes to adjust it....
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hd06

Hot Bikes in Medford Or. has a chain tenser that works with hyd. They have them for TC should be coming out for M8. 

rbabos

Quote from: hd06 on November 14, 2017, 06:05:36 AM
Hot Bikes in Medford Or. has a chain tenser that works with hyd. They have them for TC should be coming out for M8.
My personal opinion is while these have been around for a while, it's still a step down from the OEM. Positive valve dampening or function in that dirty oil is a bit of a design stretch.
Ron

FSG

junk

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on November 14, 2017, 01:01:22 PM

junk
I was trying to be polite. :hyst:
Ron

BVHOG

Quote from: FSG on November 14, 2017, 01:01:22 PM

junk
Exactly!!!!!
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I am very aware of the issues with the Automatic Chain Tensioners. My intent was to find out if what I'm seeing is an anomaly or, if in fact this is an issue with the M8.

OP:

Here: -- I've done six 20k Maintenance Schedules this week. EVERY ONE had a concern with noise in the lower end or a noise that was present at start up that went away,

Here: --And, EVERYONE had an Automatic Chain Tensioner that did not adjust. One, never moved from its installed position - "0", and the Chain was actually slapping the Top of the Case. Adjusting them all resolved the problem. And, I notice some have White Shoes and Some have Black Shoes. 

Here --- We've all seen some issue here and there where the ACT has caused noise. But, all 6? All on the 107?

Here: -- Anyone else seeing this? Or, is it just me?

Tom