May 03, 2024, 10:42:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Zippers/Red Shift 468 Cam

Started by turboprop, November 14, 2017, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

Pretty cool video from Zippers that features my good friend Adam H. Adam is a brilliant mechanical engineer that was a child prodigy (kidding) of legendary engine developer and racer Dick Hilferty (RIP).

Anyways, I know Zippers is not the flavor of the month around here, but this video is somewhat informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-8QOkhxNoM 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Nastytls

Interesting video. Those are serious numbers for a cam upgrade. Impressive.

tommy g

Refreshing to observe such a sharp and enthusiastic young man.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

DTTJGlide

The #s for the Zippers cam are nearly identical to Durwood's #s with the CR450 w/D&D Billet Cat, also what Zippers was running on their test. The CR460 produces more TQ down low but runs out a little sooner than the CR450 or the Zippers 468, Durwood felt the added TQ down low made the CR460 a better Stg 2 cam & I would have to agree. Two top companies coming out with very good cam designs, it will be interesting to see if the learning progression will be like it was on the TCs, as it took quite a while for the TC cams to reach the level they are today. I'm very impressed with the #s from these cams, some very talented people out there & probably many more to come. :baby:

1FSTRK

Quote from: DTTJGlide on November 14, 2017, 09:46:56 PM
The #s for the Zippers cam are nearly identical to Durwood's #s with the CR450 w/D&D Billet Cat, also what Zippers was running on their test. The CR460 produces more TQ down low but runs out a little sooner than the CR450 or the Zippers 468, Durwood felt the added TQ down low made the CR460 a better Stg 2 cam & I would have to agree. Two top companies coming out with very good cam designs, it will be interesting to see if the learning progression will be like it was on the TCs, as it took quite a while for the TC cams to reach the level they are today. I'm very impressed with the #s from these cams, some very talented people out there & probably many more to come. :baby:

Nice to see some attempt at engineering a bolt in cam for this engine but the cams that work will all end up in about the same place because you can only do so much with the short commings of the head design. The peak intake to exhaust flow ratio is only the begining of what is wrong. As far as the Twin cam goes those heads needed work to but the TW37 was making close to this HP/CI with in 6 months of the Twin Cam engine coming out and custom cams like the CHP44s were over 1 HP/CI bolt in by Oct of 1999. The 4 valve head and particulairly the one HD has given us will have a steep learning curve. (Think Hurricane heads on a Twin cam 103)
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Eccool

remington007

1FSTRK

Quote from: Eccool on November 15, 2017, 06:46:37 AM
Who makes the CHP44s?

Just a custom cam that I know made good power early in the twin cam days.
Many good cams were available shortly after from most cam companies.
This Red shift cam shows promise for what it is designed for but I still wait to see something
exciting from the M-8 over all.

Quote from: remington007 on November 15, 2017, 07:37:09 AM
Andrews 44?

Because Andrews grinds many of the private label cams he does not offer those exact grinds in his line up. The TW-44 Andrews was a version of one of the early CHP44 development cams that was a stepping stone to the final product.

Jeff Myrick

Just installed the Red Shift 468 in my 18 RGS. Lopey idle, crisp throttle and the exhaust note at heavy throttle is loud and deep. Starts pulling hard just pass the 3k rpm mark. I live in a quiet neighborhood and was being considerate to my neighbors. Will post another video harder on the gas....stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_iF0j1VIA&feature=share

1FSTRK

Jeff what tuning device did you use?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Jeff Myrick

Quote from: Jeff Myrick on January 11, 2018, 05:21:37 AM
Just installed the Red Shift 468 in my 18 RGS. Lopey idle, crisp throttle and the exhaust note at heavy throttle is loud and deep. Starts pulling hard just pass the 3k rpm mark. I live in a quiet neighborhood and was being considerate to my neighbors. Will post another video harder on the gas....stay tuned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_iF0j1VIA&feature=share
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQPQZ7tjQxc&feature=share

badcooky

I notice that the damping/smoothing is at 3 on the Zippers vid ,so those figures are quite conservative figures

1FSTRK

Quote from: badcooky on January 12, 2018, 04:54:27 AM
I notice that the damping/smoothing is at 3 on the Zippers vid ,so those figures are quite conservative figures

It does not work that way but no matter the numbers are good.

badcooky

Ohio HD

Smoothings does just as it sounds, it makes the lines have less spikes as the smoothings number increases.

badcooky

Yep ,that's why most get good numbers at 5 isn't it ,these guys were at 3.

1FSTRK

Quote from: badcooky on January 12, 2018, 05:20:55 AM
Yep ,that's why most get good numbers at 5 isn't it ,these guys were at 3.

Ohio is correct, the higher the smoothing number the smoother the line, the lower the smoothing  number the more peaks in the line. The jagged peaks that jump up with a low smooth number give higher readings but are cut off when the smoothing is applied at 5. That is why people use 5 to show the peaks removed and give a better average of what is really going on. As I said numbers and tune here are good enough it is not making much difference, just trying to clear up your confusion.

badcooky

Yep that's how it's supposed to work but it doesn't .

1FSTRK

In some extreme cases with a bad bounce on the belt or chain, or with a bad tune you could get a particular point to read higher with a lower number but it is not the norm for quality dyno runs.

HD/Wrench

Chopped tire can create some issue as well I get them from time to time . Out of balance tire at high speeds can start to bounce on the drum .. The older spoke wheels that are not " true" can do that ..

BVHOG

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 12, 2018, 06:34:15 AM
Chopped tire can create some issue as well I get them from time to time . Out of balance tire at high speeds can start to bounce on the drum .. The older spoke wheels that are not " true" can do that ..

Poor ignition timing is another that can cause the spiky graph, a few years ago I bet you remember the old 6 software graphs that a certain shop used to boast about that had as much as a 10 percent increase from the graph spikes with no smoothing applied.  As for the cam in the video it is interesting that they use 470 lift as pretty much everything I have read from those that did flow work said they are done by 450.  That bike on the dyno does sound great.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

HD/Wrench

Yes I had forgotten and in actual in the winter .. Glad to see that Keith set up some standards for the dyno sheets..  :up:

ZippersPerformance.com

All of our published dyno charts are SAE, smoothing set to #3, along with tire pressure, etc.  We set up this standard years ago so as to keep consistency in our results.  We chose to use 3 to reflect the stability of the tune; looking at the charts above, I never noticed that the peak torque and HP numbers were mildly affected by the smoothing. This was/is not our intention. 

Learn something every day!

1FSTRK

Quote from: ZippersPerformance.com on January 12, 2018, 08:56:26 AM
All of our published dyno charts are SAE, smoothing set to #3, along with tire pressure, etc.  We set up this standard years ago so as to keep consistency in our results.  We chose to use 3 to reflect the stability of the tune; looking at the charts above, I never noticed that the peak torque and HP numbers were mildly affected by the smoothing. This was/is not our intention. 

Learn something every day!

Hope you did not think I in any way thought the smoothing setting was a ploy. I only pursued the issue to clarification for others. With your level of tune and power smoothing settings would be such a small difference it is within the margin of accuracy of the dyno.
Great cam and post thanks for sharing it here.