May 03, 2024, 11:40:43 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Good friend with an M8 getting dealer installed Stage3

Started by DeneFLHR, December 07, 2017, 12:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeneFLHR

As the title states, my friend is getting a dealer installed upgrade, (full warranty that's why he's going this route rather than aftermarket), for north of $5200.
Now I have a couple questions on his behalf.
Will the clutch handle it, (does his '17 Ultra have at least a heavy clutch spring), and they threw in the Mickey Duck street tuner as part of stage1 when he bought the bike, ( that's what they are going to tune it with and listed 3 hrs dyno time to do it). Is this tuner capable?
Keep in mind warranty is paramount with him and plus they will warranty his present exhaust (with Street Canons), and are charging him $500 to gut the cat etc.
We are in Canada that's why the high prices.
I guess I should mention this is jugs, 11:1 pistons, cam, valve springs and assorted gaskets.
Thanks for your help folks!
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

Nastytls

That kit is $1600, so they are charging $3600 for labor and tune????

DeneFLHR

Quote from: Nastytls on December 07, 2017, 03:13:43 PM
Yes sir. Three hours to tune with the orange street tuner, $500 to gouge out the cat, unreal.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

crusinmann

Quote from: DeneFLHR on December 07, 2017, 05:18:13 PM
Yes sir. Three hours to tune with the orange street tuner, $500 to gouge out the cat, unreal.
You can buy decatted head pipes online for 150.00

Hossamania

I understand he is having the dealer do the work in order to keep the warranty, but how long does the warranty last? If it is only a year or two, I would rather void it, save some money on a better build, and get more bang for the buck.
But if it makes him happy, runs well, and the Moco will stand behind the work (not just the dealer, but the whole dealer network), then it is worth it for him.
For the record, removing the cat here in the US is a major violation, I doubt any dealer would do it. They would be more inclined to replace the whole headpipe, or not modify the pipe at all, just slip on mufflers.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

And I would think that a much better headpipe could be had for about that same cost.

dwagar

He is concerned with warranty. While the dealer will probably stand behind it, removing the cat will likely void the warranty in the US. So, if he's touring down there, and has a problem, he might be screwed. I'd suggest he keep the cat until his warranty is over.

I'm in Canada too, and know the dealer will stand behind warranty on V&H headers, but I wouldn't install an open header until my warranty is over. I do far too much riding in the US.

As far as the Street Tuner, I just got mine back from the dyno shop I use. He did a good job of tuning, but said he can't get it out of the lean condition as he'd like because of the restrictions of the tuner. But here again, I'll wait until the warranty is over to buy a real tuner.

DeneFLHR

Quote from: Hossamania on December 08, 2017, 06:01:57 AM
I understand he is having the dealer do the work in order to keep the warranty, but how long does the warranty last? If it is only a year or two, I would rather void it, save some money on a better build, and get more bang for the buck.
But if it makes him happy, runs well, and the Moco will stand behind the work (not just the dealer, but the whole dealer network), then it is worth it for him.
For the record, removing the cat here in the US is a major violation, I doubt any dealer would do it. They would be more inclined to replace the whole headpipe, or not modify the pipe at all, just slip on mufflers.
He got the extended warranty at time of delivery, and knowing him it would be the best and longest the company offered.
I know the dealer brags about changing out the cat on many bikes they sell and I know there is no worry about emissions testing where we live up here.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

Don D

DeneFLHR

No Don.
Square Deal Barnes in Victoria.
I'd like to be there to see the kid run the dyno for three hours tuning it with the little Street tuner! What the hell is he gonna do for three hours with that useless gizmo?
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

lucasg

Unfortunately, these are the prices up here.  Yes, Canadian dollars.  Probably would be better off riding down and visiting one of the many vendors/sponsors on this forums, and let them work there magic, but as the op has stated the owner is paranoid about warranty.  I hope he would have a damn strong running bike for north of 5 grand.. :cry:

koko3052

Quote from: DeneFLHR on December 08, 2017, 10:15:58 AM
No Don.
I'd like to be there to see the kid run the dyno for three hours tuning it with the little Street tuner! What the hell is he gonna do for three hours with that useless gizmo?

I suggest he get a different tuner & ph. Russel in Nanaimo "Lonewolf Perf", for a perfect tune. :up:

lucasg

Quote from: koko3052 on December 08, 2017, 10:29:22 AM
No Don.

I suggest he get a different tuner & ph. Russel in Nanaimo "Lonewolf Perf", for a perfect tune. :up:

Russel will definitely get the job done !  Great suggestion... :up:

PoorUB

Quote from: koko3052 on December 08, 2017, 10:29:22 AM
No Don.

Except no warranty!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Don D

Russel may be good but he can't crack the Street Tuner

DeneFLHR

Hopefully it will turn out the way the service kid told him over the phone a minute ago.
They installed 25 Stage3's in the last 3 months and not one unhappy customer.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

evostroker

I bought a Dyna with a 120R already installed from Barnes Langley. They gave me a two year bumper to bumper warrantee, including the 120R.. Only redeemable at a Barnes dealership (Victoria, Langley and Kamloops), and yes its writing... MoCo wont have anything to do with it.

koko3052

That's great if you only tour around BC, but cross the line & hope nothing happens or you're screwed.  :emsad:

DeneFLHR

Quote from: koko3052 on December 08, 2017, 02:53:19 PM
That's great if you only tour around BC, but cross the line & hope nothing happens or you're screwed.  :emsad:
I'll have to get him to look into those implications, ( but in all honesty, I'm warranted to the extended hilt also and if my stock bike blew, dealers are backed up 3-5 weeks wherever you travel down there).
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

koko3052

sfmichael

WOW!!!  $3000 labor is stout!!!  About double what it ought to be  :dgust:
Colorado Springs, CO.

DeneFLHR

I looked at his final quote yesterday. $4,8xx
$100 shop supplies, ( that's a lot of Brake Kleen lol!
Plus $700 to decat, but $500 if they keep the core. Sweet of them!
I'd like to be there to see how they tune it for 3 hrs on their dyno. I bet they just flash it with Street Tuner, 5 minutes, thanks for the comprehensive tune guys!
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

FXDBI

That's US dollars add 30% exchange and 7% gst.   Heads have to come apart and change the springs. Its not cheap in Canada to play with your HD shop rate is probably 125hr+.  You want to play you have to pay especially with the dealer doing the work for you.  Bob

sfmichael

Quote from: DeneFLHR on December 11, 2017, 08:36:18 AM
I looked at his final quote yesterday. $4,8xx
$100 shop supplies, ( that's a lot of Brake Kleen lol!
Plus $700 to decat, but $500 if they keep the core. Sweet of them!
I'd like to be there to see how they tune it for 3 hrs on their dyno. I bet they just flash it with Street Tuner, 5 minutes, thanks for the comprehensive tune guys!

drop the pipe de-cat labor to the $150-200 it oughta be (has to come off anyway) and cut the tune time in half and there'd be a considerable savings and they're STILL making bank...greedy mfrs
Colorado Springs, CO.

CndUltra88

I would send the guy to Russell up in Nanaimo to do the work and tune before I let the guys at Barnes touch my motor.
That's just me though.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Don D

DeneFLHR

Quote from: CndUltra88 on December 15, 2017, 12:09:01 PM
I would send the guy to Russell up in Nanaimo to do the work and tune before I let the guys at Barnes touch my motor.
That's just me though.
Rob
Rob, it's warranty that is the issue here, not quality of tune.
In the end we'll see how it runs as it was completed the other day.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

CndUltra88

December 16, 2017, 06:12:24 AM #27 Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 06:17:09 AM by CndUltra88
Quote from: DeneFLHR on December 15, 2017, 01:12:51 PM
That's just me though.
Rob

Good Morning DeneFLHR, I'll apologize now.

I read the original post and understood the concerns of your buddy and warranty concerns.

But, I wouldnt take my bike to a Car Dealership mentality that is posing as a Harley Davidson Dealership.

Nor would it seem did the Victoria Police Dept either.

When they had the fleet of Police HD, they would ship them to Trev D in Vancouver for service...

Enough of my rant about the only (authorized)shop you guys have on the Island.

I'm sure he will be happy with his decision just dont tell him about my opinion thats all.
Ride often and have fun.

Rob

Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

DeneFLHR

Quote from: CndUltra88 on December 16, 2017, 06:12:24 AM
Quote from: DeneFLHR on December 15, 2017, 01:12:51 PM
That's just me though.
Rob

Good Morning DeneFLHR, I'll apologize now.

I read the original post and understood the concerns of your buddy and warranty concerns.

But, I wouldnt take my bike to a Car Dealership mentality that is posing as a Harley Davidson Dealership.

Nor would it seem did the Victoria Police Dept either.

When they had the fleet of Police HD, they would ship them to Trev D in Vancouver for service...

Enough of my rant about the only (authorized)shop you guys have on the Island.

I'm sure he will be happy with his decision just dont tell him about my opinion thats all.
Ride often and have fun.

Rob
Don't worry Rob, I agree with you totally and it wouldn't have been the road I would have chosen either.
Nothing good has ever come out of their shop and the two-bit salesman are out and out liars.
I still would've argued how they can charge my friend 3hrs to dyno his bike with the Street emissions based tuner.
Can't wait to get a chance to ride it as I thought my Fuel Moto stock mapped SGS is was more perky than his Stage1 M8 was last season. I wasn't impressed at all.
I will post back on how it did turn out.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

DeneFLHR

Bike delivered back the other day and when we went to see how it sounded we started it immediately idled at 2500.
I felt this was hard on a stone cold motor and we shut it down.
My friend, (the owner), said the dealer said cycle the key switch 5x as every hi power Stage 3 motor they build does this, ( totally normal for power builds Barnes Harley said).
After cycling key, start bike and it will idle in normal range.
I wouldn't be happy doing this every cold morning. My last motor was a 124/121 107" and if I remember mine went to about 1350-1400 max then quickly came down. My other friend with a 2013 117" CVO thinks his is about 1400rpm.
Was this an error when they dyno tuned it with the SEPST?
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

Hossamania

If he is supposed to cycle the key five times before he starts it every time it is cold just so it runs normally, then hell yes, something is wrong.
If every stage 3 build from them does this, and they think this is normal, then they should not do any builds.

koko3052

Yup.....sounds like a GREAT shop.....they all do that! :slap:  :turd: