April 27, 2024, 09:53:25 AM

News:

"Chirp" and Rocker Arms

Started by 2016CTRoadGlide, December 08, 2017, 10:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2016CTRoadGlide

I had the oil pump replaced on my 2017 RGS at 10,000 miles because of sumping. Part #62400178. During my first ride after install (start of 1000 mile iron butt challenge) I noticed a distinct "chirp" from the front part of the engine. I now have 15,500 miles on the bike and it continues but goes away after a time but sometimes comes back even on the same ride. Driving me nuts. Dealer and their techs were finally able to hear it last Saturday.
They tore down front cylinder and discovered exhaust side rocker arm had rubbed the casing causing a groove.  They then looked at Cam, chain tensor, oil pump etc and found everything to be perfect.  Moco decided to replace all rockers (new design) that would prevent rubbing.  However not going to replace head.  I asked them to reconsider figuring that since the bike is already in pieces, replacing the part would make more sense than me having to bring it in again if there are more issues.  They said the rubbing was within "specs".  I can't believe that they would have a "spec" on this.
Does anyone else have a theory? The bike has Stage 1 (Harley) and SS lifters. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thermodyne

There was an issue with the early rocker shafts.  Not sure what it was exactly.

Hossamania

My theory is that you are now going to be running a head with a groove in it. I highly doubt you will get anywhere trying to get them to replace it.
I myself would not worry about it, and just run it.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

2016CTRoadGlide

Thank you for the reality check! :agree:

rbabos

Quote from: 2016CTRoadGlide on December 08, 2017, 10:16:50 AM
I had the oil pump replaced on my 2017 RGS at 10,000 miles because of sumping. Part #62400178. During my first ride after install (start of 1000 mile iron butt challenge) I noticed a distinct "chirp" from the front part of the engine. I now have 15,500 miles on the bike and it continues but goes away after a time but sometimes comes back even on the same ride. Driving me nuts. Dealer and their techs were finally able to hear it last Saturday.
They tore down front cylinder and discovered exhaust side rocker arm had rubbed the casing causing a groove.  They then looked at Cam, chain tensor, oil pump etc and found everything to be perfect.  Moco decided to replace all rockers (new design) that would prevent rubbing.  However not going to replace head.  I asked them to reconsider figuring that since the bike is already in pieces, replacing the part would make more sense than me having to bring it in again if there are more issues.  They said the rubbing was within "specs".  I can't believe that they would have a "spec" on this.
Does anyone else have a theory? The bike has Stage 1 (Harley) and SS lifters. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
By now they have a db rating at 20' or so to cover that. :hyst: Unreal.
Ron

2016CTRoadGlide

Quote from: Thermodyne on December 08, 2017, 11:15:34 AM
There was an issue with the early rocker shafts.  Not sure what it was exactly.

My build date was 08/2016.  Thanks.

crewchief25H

How do you distinguish the "new" design, from the early 2017 rocker arms?

Thermodyne

No idea.

AFAIK it was a running production change.  And the folks with the early style only get the updated ones if there is an issue that requires the top end to come off. 

2016CTRoadGlide

Quote from: Hossamania on December 08, 2017, 11:19:21 AM
My theory is that you are now going to be running a head with a groove in it. I highly doubt you will get anywhere trying to get them to replace it.

You called it correctly.  Reconsideration---denied.  Hope to have the bike back tomorrow but we will see. 

2016CTRoadGlide

Quote from: 2016CTRoadGlide on December 15, 2017, 06:04:34 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on December 08, 2017, 11:19:21 AM

You called it correctly.  Reconsideration---denied.  Hope to have the bike back tomorrow but we will see.

Was able to take a short 30 mile trip on Sunday.  Bike seems fine (no more chirp)!  Now I need to weather to cooperate!   :koolaid4: