April 27, 2024, 02:14:20 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

replacing primary chain

Started by dynarider, November 11, 2008, 05:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dynarider

hello , I have a 96 dyna convertable 1340, has 86k on it, can no longer adjust primary chain due to being too much slack in it, I will replace chain and compensator ,question? is there some way to check clutch sprocket to see if it is worn to replacement, or should I bite the bullet and replace clutch housing also, clutch is still good, any help would be appreciated

Trip

If the teeth arent "hooked"...its fine....i doubt its damaged unless you ran for a long time out of adjustment ...

TheSwede

Hi dyna rider ,,what kind of oil do you
used in the primary ??
Best Regards
TheSwede

CraigArizona85248

Also inspect the tensioner shoe.  That might be very worn too.

-Craig

Trip

86K and Harley **ss would wear out a chain !! ...try using MTL on the new one.

dynarider

hey thanks for replies, still use Harley primary oil, and changed shoe about 20K ago, a lot of slack in chain then, but was still able to adjust it, now at very limit. reply about hooked teeth? is there some way to measure sprocket for wear or only a trained eye for wear? thanks for the help

Trip

Only way i know how to "measure"...is with your eye ...if the tooth isnt "hooked"..then its usually ok....get rid of the HD primary *iss...its garbage..use Redline MTL or at least a good auto trans fluid...Formula+ sucks BIGTIME, imo/.

dynarider

Trip: thanks for all the info, this will help, I will be tearing it down in the near future. I will go to a better lube.

Buddy WMC

I used to use MTL in my primary good stuff, actually cleans the clutch and costs about $10.00 a quart at a local Indy. Since replacing the old clutch with an Energy One extra plate, I've been using the B&M Trickshift automatic trans fluid as recommended by Energy One. They do not recommend synthetic oils and alot of members here use Type F ATF and report good results.

Popped the primary off today to replace the stock tensioner shoe with a solid shoe I bought from Kendall Johnson. The fluid looked so new, I was tempted to reuse it. The B&M costs $4.99 a quart at our local Autozone and as my primary takes 42-44oz, I need to buy two quarts. Two quarts of MTL for $20.00 or Two Quarts of B&M for $10.00, makes a big difference.

The B&M is blue in color and also helps with leak detection. It's easy to diagnose a primary leak, transmission leak or engine oil leak when using fluids that are colored differently. Your call and good luck.

Big Ben

Hey Dynarider,

Check out the Rivera Pro Clutch site...They have a setup that includes all the necessary components for a complete primary build....(chain, sprocket, compensator assy, adj. shoe assy, clutch basket with the Pro Clutch included.
I picked mine up from J&P Cycles and it rocks!

I reckon if you're that deep into taking everything apart to change the chain, might as well go all the way!

BB

barny7655

Gee that is a problem , , yes inspect the sprockets and the guide , its very out of sorts at the milage you have done , ive done 120k and only adjust the chain tree times , a good look, and may be a sprocket change as well on both engine and clutch, its a wonder your magnet when you pulled the plug wasnt full of metal , on the new chain adjust it on the tightest spot around 3/4 inch then after that readjust at around 1000 miles at its tightest spot ,i like it on the loose side as the chain heats up some times it will shrink, cheers and good luck, when you do pull the chain, loop it in a circle side ways and see if it is well used , barny
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

1997bagger

You will be able to see the wear on the primary & clutch sprocket as mentioned earlier, then it is a decision. Primary drive replacements can be expensive, I just purchased a primary gear ratio change and nothing real cost efficient out there.

I have the Energy One clutch system and aware of the no synthetic recommendations, BUT I can get a product called Transynd made by Detroit/Allison that is synthetic. It allows change intervals in commercial vehicles to 250,000 miles, compared to 50,000 for regular ATF.

Havn't had any slippage issues, It holds up in vehicles that are overloaded / abused and 6 times the torque specs of a strong Harley engine and it is at no cost to my facility. I will be pulling the primary cover shortly so I can see the results.
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?