April 27, 2024, 12:04:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

88 inch cam choice

Started by Gerry Smith, December 27, 2017, 04:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerry Smith

What would be a better cam for a stock 88 inch soft tail Andrews 26 or the Andrews 54 cam. Willing to do head work and a Vance & Hines 2 into 1 pipe. Better than stock air cleaner. :fish:
Just do it while you can.

Ohio HD

Andrews 21....           :fish:

Gerry Smith

Matt C

Is it a light bike? One up/Two?

37s always worked great in 88s. With a little compression bump, you'd have
a decent running 88. Add in a better valve and a pocket port, you'd have a
really good running 88. Just depends on how you ride it and where you want
the power...

Gerry Smith

The 21 will fall off to quick. One up most of the time. Just want to wake it up and run with the newer bikes a little closer when bar hopping so called . Some highway riding too.

Gerry Smith

My bad NOT 54  cam but the 48 cam. The 37 might not be to bad too.

tbird

S&S 509's seem to be the flavor of the month for 88's I put a set in a bike that previously has Andrews 26's. Bike runs well.

Matt C

Quote from: Gerry Smith on December 27, 2017, 04:53:22 PM
My bad NOT 54  cam but the 48 cam. The 37 might not be to bad too.

The 37 with mild port work and a better valve would really wake that thing up. I had one 10 years
ago and it would hang with 110s up to about 70-80mph. Some of that may have been the rider
but it ran strong. What year is it?

Hossamania

We're doing a 509 in a friend's RoadKing this winter, but he is not doing heads.
If you're willing to do some head work, it really opens up your options. Talk to your porter for his recommendations.
And, as long as it's that far apart, a 95" big bore isn't much more work..... Just sayin'...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

Colorado Springs, CO.

Carl 1969

I'm putting Redshift 511s in my '02. Looks like they work well both at 88" & 95", if I decide to go that route in the future.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

Hillside Motorcycle

Andrews 21, or S&S .509.
Not an opinion.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Gerry Smith

Sfmich The bike is a 01 and doesn't ride 2 up much at all. Looking at the 37 cam with head work.

BVHOG

509 is a great cam but if I were going to have the heads done I would adjust the compression and go with the 48
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

rking1550

Quote from: BVHOG on December 28, 2017, 05:26:50 AM
509 is a great cam but if I were going to have the heads done I would adjust the compression and go with the 48
:up:   :agree:
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

Matt C

Quote from: Gerry Smith on December 28, 2017, 03:44:16 AM
Sfmich The bike is a 01 and doesn't ride 2 up much at all. Looking at the 37 cam with head work.

Good choice. Those early heads really benefit from port work (allot). The EX port is very restrictive
on those things and a better intake valve will work wonders.

Gerry Smith

I look through the Dynos and didn't see any one using the 37 cams. I would like to see where they might be at on the torque.

djl

Unless the OP  plans on headwork to allow cams with higher lift, he is limited to cams like the 509 or 21.  in that case, the 509 has been getting good reports from Stage 1 users.  The 37 will be soft on the bottom with stock compression.

Headwork? Many more options and the 48 probably as good as any. :wink:

CndUltra88

Roadcling has SE204 that do him well.
Just needs a better choice of exhaust pipe if you ask me (cling that is)
Alohaaa !

Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Gerry Smith

There is going to be head work done and the compression set for what cam is going in. Not looking for a drag bike.

Hybredhog

If the heads aren't coming off, S&S509 are my Fav. I've even used them on re-decked (-.050) top end freshen ups, and they pull damn good even though the mid-range. Customers are happy, and that's what counts.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Gerry Smith

The heads will be setup for the higher valve lift too. Any Dyno runs on the 47 cams?

Gerry Smith

OOPS 37 cams for the Dyno graph.

hotbo

I ran 37s in a stock(intake and Thunderheader) dyna WG. 17 years ago.I ran it like that for 2 years and it ran fine.a little soft down lown on the roll on in the upper gears but still did fine and i didnt mind using them gears(downshifting) thats what they are for!!! after the 2 years i had it bored to 95" and had some head work done with compression set to the cams liking. it ran freaking night and day different!!! power every where.i enjoyed beating on that little ole motor for 10 years after that... i put it on a trailer dyno @ a meet once and it made 100hp and 97lbs of torque( could have been a lying ass dyno! who cares i was happy with it @ the time.Best of luck,Travis
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Hybredhog

37's are great for 95" with a little more squash. I feel if your pulling & working the heads, why not 95"?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH