May 04, 2024, 12:50:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Lower rocker cover rubber gasket

Started by BigT, December 30, 2017, 11:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

Is there a trick to keeping the rubber gasket in the the grove of the lower rocker cover when you turn it upside down and place it back on the head? So for this is the most difficult thing I encountered installing a 117" set up.[attach=0]

PoorUB

Sticky grease. Or spray the cover with High tack a stick it in place.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

BigT

I would think grease would melt and make a mess as soon the bike fired up. It's either a piss poor design or I have a defect gasket. The old one was stuck in there pretty good!

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

harley_cruiser

You don't use that much grease, just enough for it to hold, any extra mixes with your oil. I also use the copper spray gasket sealer, that works good to adhere gaskets.

BigT

Thanks guys! The old gaskets were stuck in there pretty good. The new one don't want to stay in the grove for nothing. Wouldn't be that bad if you didn't have to turn it upside down and try to maneuver it into place!

Geezer_Glider

That type of gasket "should" stay in place if the surface is completely dry and free from any oil. The gasket also must be dry. Any lube will allow it to pop out of the channel. The little nubs should hold it in place.
Just saying,
R Meyer

Scotty

Quote from: Geezer_Glider on December 30, 2017, 07:25:35 PM
That type of gasket "should" stay in place if the surface is completely dry and free from any oil. The gasket also must be dry. Any lube will allow it to pop out of the channel. The little nubs should hold it in place.
Just saying,
R Meyer

:up:

BigT

The cover is squeaky clean. Even tried warming the rocker cover in the oven to see if it would expand some to keep the gasket in the slot.

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

BigT

1FSTRK

rbabos

I'd personally use a light coat of copper spray or any of the tacky gasket sprays to the back side of the gasket. Brake clean the groves and gasket prior.  Nothing wrong with either method . Hoping that bitch remains intact during the install is a bit optimistic otherwise.
Ron

Ohio HD

I agree that if they are not HD gaskets, get the HD gaskets.

In any case, if no other method works, tie several pieces of fine string or thread around the cover and the gasket to keep it in place. Once in place, cut the string or thread and gently pull them one by one from under the cover and gasket. Sure that takes time, but so does taking it apart again because it's leaking.

FXDBI

Quote from: No Cents on December 30, 2017, 02:40:00 PM
this stuff works well.

[attach=0]

This stuff is awesome, light spray on both parts let it set up tacky and set the gasket in the groove. Been using this for many years don't need much just a very light spray. I would shy away from copper coat not wanting any chance of it getting in the oil. I have also used some small dabs of silicone grease in the groove and wipe off the excess once it is set in the groove. The spray tack is my first choice if available.   Bob

BigT

I just picked up the Permatex High Tack gasket sealer with the applicator brush. I'll try applying small amounts in multiple locations

1FSTRK

justaguy

Also, make sure hat you have the newer style upper rocker box gaskets.  They should say "UP" on them and have new sealing patches.

BigT

Thanks for the heads up!  I just bought them a month ago and I see I have the 25700372 and they now list as 25700372A

BigT

I see where they get the name High Tack! Did the trick.  Thanks again!

No Cents

Quote from: BigT on December 31, 2017, 12:17:57 PM
I see where they get the name High Tack! Did the trick.  Thanks again!

:up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

PoorUB

High Tack is about the only gasket adhesive I use, except for an occasional dab of silicone which gets used way too much by many mechanics.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!