May 04, 2024, 04:00:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Case Bore Diameter

Started by Don D, January 09, 2018, 06:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

happyman

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 09, 2018, 06:52:46 AM
What is the 107 case bore?
am curious  about this myself too, I did think they were the same as the  114 or 117 just less bore?

ZippersPerformance.com

Ohio HD

That's worth 2,000 words.    :up:

Nastytls

Is it an optical illusion or is there a lot of meat on there for a case bore for big inches compared to a twin cam?

Don D

mike jesse

HD/Wrench

Your 114/117 cylinder has a 4.340 spigot OD . 

HD/Wrench

Quote from: Nastytls on January 12, 2018, 05:53:04 AM
Is it an optical illusion or is there a lot of meat on there for a case bore for big inches compared to a twin cam?

It has some thin areas under the deck ..

Don D

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 13, 2018, 07:17:14 AM
Your 114/117 cylinder has a 4.340 spigot OD . 

Thin spigots or is it's case bore larger?

HD/Wrench

same case bore Don.  You picked up .073 from one cylinder to the next.

DTTJGlide

Has anyone heard if S&S, or anyone else for that matter, is looking to make steel liner drop in cylinders for the M8? With the same tolerances as the TC cylinders it would give you 130 or 134 CI, interesting :SM:

HD/Wrench

Yes It is in the works .. But some think its more simple than it really is ..  just making a cylinder to bolt on well your are dealing with HD and patents .. And we have already seen that they can stop production on S&S for the "mix" of steel in the liner ..

Taking a OEM cylinder and installing a liner would maybe get you around some of that . not sure.

I do know that there are BIG bore cylinders in the process as we speak for the M8 .. that much I can tell you ..  I hope to be testing them spring ??

Don D

The reports of sumping are a deterrent to me. Certainly will be no better with the added displacement.
I don't think anybody has solved that. I wish there was a 3 stage pump but I am sure that will be here shortly by the aftermarket.

DTTJGlide

I know it's not a simple or inexpensive undertaking, but thought since S&S has hopefully figured a way around MOCO's patent for the TC that they might be a step ahead on the M8s. It's going to be very interesting to see the development process in the next year or 2. I think right now it's biggest plus is the very good #s on the Stg 2 builds, which is what the largest # of people will be content with, but we all know more is never enough for some on here :bike:

yobtaf103

Was wondering myself if S&S would come back with a counter punch along those lines

TorQuePimp

wiseco had a couple sleeved cylinders at last years expo

4.25 bore seems to work well here....4.312 wont be far behind

happyman

Quote from: TorQuePimp on January 15, 2018, 04:27:09 AM
wiseco had a couple sleeved cylinders at last years expo

4.25 bore seems to work well here....4.312 wont be far behind
Who is, or will be making the  4.312?

TorQuePimp

Don D

4.5 is in testing.
No idea who the manufacturers are

sfmichael

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 16, 2018, 06:19:08 AM
4.5 is in testing.

:pop:  143   :smileo:

:bike:
Colorado Springs, CO.

HD/Wrench

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 16, 2018, 06:19:08 AM
4.5 is in testing.

Well that is a neat trick .  case boring needed ..  Seems a longer way to get there and its not going to be main stream  Where as a bolt on cylinder well now that is easy . Take a look how thin the area under the one side of the case is ..  4.375 square is an option a bit bigger is being made . 131 vs 133 or 135 ?? to me I don't see the reason to go beyond the 131 . Square set up..   stock heads flow very well , add cam t/b and larger injectors lock up and hang on ..  !!!!!

outside of SE new cylinders will be patent issue ??  best guess is yes  in some way or form  , take a stock cylinder and re work it is the next option or what ever you build must not be the same as HD

Jamie Long

patent you are referring to is defined twin cam specific

HD/Wrench

January 16, 2018, 02:09:59 PM #24 Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by GMR-PERFORMANCE

You can read my mind ?? what one am I referring too ..