April 27, 2024, 08:40:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Alternator rotor retrofit question

Started by -deuced-, January 12, 2018, 03:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-deuced-

'01 deuce, 38amp alternator. When I removed the rotor I noticed a couple of small pieces of magnets missing. Kinda like the corner delaminated and flaked off. No missing pieces were found but I'm guessing that all the crud on the drain plug is mashed up magnet pieces. I was sort of thinking about reusing the rotor because the missing pieces are pretty small. Didn't think there would be any effect electrically but had mixed thoughts about future flaking. There was a fair bit of gunk in the rotor but it cleaned up ok. There was also a fair bit of gunk in the stator but it cleaned up nicely, too. Anyway, the rotor has since taken a four foot fall from the bench onto concrete. I cannot see any more damage but, well, reuse no longer interests me. Surfin' the web and saw rotors with sealed magnets. I like the idea. Are these only aftermarket or did HD change rotors in later years? I reckon the stator is fine and I just need a new rotor. If I stick with oem, will I have to use the same as what came off?

smoserx1

I'd stick with a 38 amp rotor unless you plan to change other stuff.  A 45 amp rotor will work but will cause the stator windings to get hotter (all the time).  Harley had a service bulletin out about this back in 03 or so and unless you use lots of accessory electrical stuff you don't need it.  You could go 3 phase but then you are looking at replacing the stator and regulator as well.  It would charge better at low rpm but unless you are constantly stuck in traffic or riding in parades again likely no benefit.  Plus the 38 amp rotor is much less expensive.

ThumperDeuce

Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.